Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I hate watching the movies with...

I was watching the FotR EE (which I haven't found before last week) today, when my mum came to see too. She was just asking about stupid things and started talking about something else. I can't stand it!

Is there anyone that you don't want to watch the LotR-movies with? And why?

Sorry if there has ever been a thread like this before, but in that case I couldn't find it.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Oh yes. My little brother, when watching any movie, makes no effort whatsoever to learn to characters' names, listen to the dialouge, or understand the plotline. He expects me to tell him everything, when he'd be perfectly fine to shut up and pay attention. On top of that, he most often doesn't remember any of my answers, so if I talk about it with someone else afterward, he'll always have to ask "Is that the guy who..." "Is that why..." "Wait, they knew each other..." "Was that the same place as..."
Old 02-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Aewionen
Elf Lord

My little brother does that too! He also, for some strange reason, cannot watch the whole thing. If he has the remote he will fast forward all the dramatic parts or parts with long and important dialouge. The only thing he wants to watch is the battles or people dying. So annoying!!
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
My boyfriend. He likes the battle sequences, but really doesn't like LotR much. So I have spent three movies explaining who is who, how so-and-so relates to such-and-such and why this person is doing this-or-that. When Eomer and Eowyn are arguing about whether Merry should ride with them, he asked "Who are they again?" I said "Brother and sister." He listened to their exchange, and he said "Yes. I guess they are!"

Seriously, though, he's so distracting that I went a second time all by myself just to see it in peace and quiet!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i actually went to FoTR by myself the first time for that very reason (which i don't think i've ever done with a movie before)... then went a few days later with the family

once i got the dvd, my five-year-old had a million questions the first time we watched it... we've watched it together a few times now and it actually amazes me how well he knows the story... of course, being the tolkien fan i am i can never give him the simple answer... i always give him more backstory than most people would care to know

i don't mind it so much if they are intelligent questions... and i don't keep getting the same ones over and over
Old 02-17-2004, 02:50 PM   #6
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

My mother period! She talks through ANY movie. She either makes stupid little comments or jests or talks about anything. The rest of my family and I have huge fights about who's going to sit next to her in the cinema.

When I watch TTT she always make the same comment about "the Elf gettin' it" I mean it's right there in front of you. I think I already know that he dies!!!!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
of course, being the tolkien fan i am i can never give him the simple answer... i always give him more backstory than most people would care to know
haha i'm exactly the same! my boyfriend hasn't read the books (he starts the first chapter then gives up ) so he's always asking questions, and i too give WAY too much information. i also have arguments with my brother during the movies, becuase although he's read the book, he skims and misses a lot of the details i retain.

bro: "wasn't he the guy that..."
me: "no, that's ... you're thinking of ...!" (plunge into back story).

bf: "is that boromir? i thought he died in the first movie!"
me: "no, that's faramir, his brother." (plunge into backstory)

friend: "you know how the next movie is called 'return of the king' - well, who's the king they're talking about?"
me: *rolls eyes* (ignore question for a while, but eventually plunge into backstory)
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I suppose I myself must be insufferable sometimes to watch a movie with, because if it's any good and I've seen it more than a few times, I will start doing my own commentary on the acting, the lines, the story, the 'back story' if there is one... I'm a regular critic or something- but I have fun doing it.

My dad is probably the person I am most bothered with. He falls asleep during movies all the time, which is really annoying, and the parts he does watch he make stupid comments over- dumb jokes which I do not find funny, but usually the rest of my family cracks up at. Second place goes to my mom, who will joke during death scenes. I like watching death scenes in silence. They're supposed to be serious and emotional!! ARGH! Oh well, they're usually not that bad.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

My dad. He came into the room once when Bilbo was doing the Gollum thigie and freaked out
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

My brother loves that sequence! He always makes me stop the film to see that part again..

And I do recognice that 'backstory'-thing.. So I guess I'm not the best person to watch the movies with either. 'Cause I don't understand why people wouldn't like to learn more about the story!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:44 PM   #11
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Actually after complaining about my Mum I feel that I have to admit the fact that I'm pretty bad too.
If I've seen the movie and if it's one of my favorites I tend to speak the lines - I got Robin Hood Prince of Theives taken off me for a while and almost TTT EE for doing it too much when my parents were watching.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:24 PM   #12
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
I HATE when people either shriek whenever the least little thing happens. I also hate watching it with people who just blab"Oh ____ is so hot!"
finally, it really gets on my nerves when someone completely ignores the sentamental moments, especially when someone says something stupid during them.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:58 PM   #13
Mrs Maggot
Enting

I hate watching them with my Dad! Cos he never sits down to watch, he always just leans over the top of my chair breathing on me, or he lurks in the shadows and I never know ehn he's gonna jump out at me and say 'boo' so I get really jumpy and it distracts me from the movie. then occasionally he does creep up behind me and say 'boo!' and it really sh*ts me! And my mum always just sits there sighing and going 'I love the music'. And in FotR she only stays for the bit in the Shire and as soon as it starts to get scary she gets up and leaves!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #14
mallondwen
Elven Warrior

My little sister,7, she asks questions about everything, even if she knows what is happening. And no matter ho many times she has seen it she is STILL asking questions. And my other little sister,14, she ALWAYS falls asleep, no matter how loud or exciting the movie is, she ALWAYS falls asleep! it drives me MAD!

And people say they hate watching it with me because I always am quoting the movie, if I see something once, I am quoting it. And you can imagine how well I know LOTR seeing it almost every weekend consistantly for the last three years.
Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling,
The voices of my people that have gone before me?
I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
Sweet are the voices in the lost Isle calling,
In Eresëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,
Where the leaves fall not: land of my people forever!”
mallondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:30 PM   #15
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

ugh, well, there's my mom who usually talks through movies and pretends that she's watching them.

then there's my brother who can't finish watching a movie all the way through to save his life.

then there's my dad and various other relatives who take up asking me questions about it - even those who have read the books, but i guess since i read them most recently they think i remember more - so yeah, there you have it.

but, in the end, we'll usually get in one solid viewing. after that, any repeats are a pain.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #16
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

hah, I know what you mean about backstory. I had a friend ask me in the middle of the Grey Havens scenes why it was that Frodo was being sent away.

Where's the simple answer to that?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #17
mallondwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
originally posted by crickhollow
I had a friend ask me in the middle of the Grey Havens scenes why it was that Frodo was being sent away.

Where's the simple answer to that?
lol, If you find one let me know

I was in the theater watching it with my family and the lady next to me was asking me all these questions during the movie, and finally when they got to the havens she was like, "so where are they going?" I didn't even try to explain it I just told her, "into the west, to Valinor" she didn't get it but I didn't feel like explaining the entire thing, and, I didn't have another three hours to spend trying to make her understand it all so I let it go at that.
Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling,
The voices of my people that have gone before me?
I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
Sweet are the voices in the lost Isle calling,
In Eresëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,
Where the leaves fall not: land of my people forever!”
mallondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:59 PM   #18
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I guess I'm bad too sometimes. I apparently have a very keen eye for bloopers, and I point them out. I make a point of speaking when none of the characters are, but it gets on people nerves anyway. The general reaction is: "Boy, you sure know how to suck all the fun out of a movie." That's never my intention, and I think it's being a bit exaggerated anyway.

The worst is when people explain the entire movie to you, scene by scene, assuming that you're a bloody moron, despite your constant arguments that you understand, but they inevitably drown out every drop of dialouge and force you to rent the movie a second time to actually absorb it, when even then you still can't enjoy it through your own spitefulness that isn't your fault at all. I'm making this my venting thread.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 02-22-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:30 AM   #19
ryttu3k
Enting

Teenyboppers.

"LEGOLAS! SQUEE! FRODO! SQUEE!"

Next person near me to squeal over any character in the movie gets a handful of dirty, sticky popcorn from the floor shoved down their throat.
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #20
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I absolutely know how you feel Nerdanel.
my mom she just wont keep quiet during any movie; she constantly asking obvious questions like "oh, aragorn's not a hobbit?" etc...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote