Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Notable quotes used in the movies

The wording of the thread is so that the quotes need not be positive only. How about two kinds of quotes?
1) Those taken, without too much distortion, from the book, and
2) movie "original" quotes.

Book--- One I thought they didn't handle too badly, and may be my favorite in the book, is:
Frodo: "It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It is pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. many that live deserve death. And Some that die deserve life. Can You give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgment. ven the very wise cannot see all ends.

Movie--- "Looks like meat's back on the table, boys!"

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I liked that they included in RotK the quote from the appendices said by Gilraen, Aragorn's mom: "I give hope to Men, I leave no hope for myself" or something to that extent. There are other quotes that I like (and dislike) but I'll post more later.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Yes. an example of the unexpected bits you come across in Middle-earth writings. Almost the equivalent of dvd "Easter Eggs".

"This is our last parting, Estel, my son. I am aged by care, even as one of lesser Men; and now that it draws near I cannot face the darkness of our time that gathers upon Middle-earth. I shall leave it soon."...
Onen i-Estel Edain, u-chebin estel anim
"I gave hope to the Dunedain, I have kept no hope for myself."

It rather reminds you of Miriel, Feanor's mom.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-31-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
I liked that they included in RotK the quote from the appendices said by Gilraen, Aragorn's mom: "I give hope to Men, I leave no hope for myself" or something to that extent. There are other quotes that I like (and dislike) but I'll post more later.
Yeah that's probably my favorite quote from the movies. As soon as they said it, I was like "Hey! That's what Gilraen said!!" lol

I also like when Frodo and Galadriel were talking after the mirror scene in Fellowship:

Frodo: I cannot do this alone.
Galadriel: You are a Ring-bearer, Frodo. To bear a Ring of Power is to be alone. This task was appointed to you, and if you do not find a way, no one will.

I also like when Frodo offers the Ring to Aragorn and he follows it by saying:

Aragorn: I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
By movie 'originals,' do you mean a) lines that were in the movie and good, or b) lines that were in the movie and butchered, ergo left notable for their awfulness?
You say they don't need to be positive, so is B then permissable?

If so . . . "If you want him, come and claim him."

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka

Last edited by Laurelyn : 12-31-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
It rather reminds you of Miriel, Feanor's mom.
Oh, I never thought of that before - good point.

I was SO hoping that they would have Sam's line about carrying Frodo in the movie - and they did. And also the line about being together at the end of things.

"Come, Mr. Frodo! I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well."

"I am glad that you are here with me, here at the end of all things, Sam."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:04 PM   #7
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Most people wouldn't know...but the song Aragorn sings is in the book...it says "he spoke the words that Elendil spoke when he landed on Middle Earth." And translated they are

"Out of the great sea to Middle Earth I am come.
In this place will I abide, and my heirs,
unto the ending of the world."

I also thought Aragorn singing it was a nice touch.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Laurelyn
By movie 'originals,' do you mean a) lines that were in the movie and good, or b) lines that were in the movie and butchered, ergo left notable for their awfulness?
You say they don't need to be positive, so is B then permissable?

Yes
Actually, I was thinking about
1) lines originally in the movie and were good or bad.
2) lines essentially retained from the book that are in the movie, although you have to be rather liberal, since the majority of the time they're used in alterate scenarios and/or by other speakers.

But the fabled line: "If you want him, come and claim him." would seem to still fit as a, well, not good movie line.

But why not add a third catagory for butchered lines? To me, one would be the way PJ took one of the great interchanges (Eowyn and the Black Captain):

"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey. Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Emund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."

and reduced it to "I am no man." Yes, I know movie adaptations are necessary, but more of the exchange could/should have been worked in.

The 'claim him" line could be considered either a bad movie line or a butchered line. Why not both!

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-01-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:17 PM   #9
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
Quote I liked:

"Come, Mr. Frodo! I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well." [Sam]

Now, for my script objections:

Quote:
and reduced it to "I am not a man." or "I am a woman" (I even forget which).
I completely agree with that. I mean, that whole exchange could have been worked in better, but just on a bottom, aesthetic level, what's with Eowyn saying "I am no man" instead of "No man am I"? This is bothering me irrationally, but I really think it messed up the effect quite a bit.

Last edited by LeniFreak : 01-01-2004 at 12:20 PM.
LeniFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

My favorite line from RotK (both movie and book):
"Your father loves you, Faramir, and he will remember it ere the end"

(or similar)

Last edited by Falagar : 01-01-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

But why not add a third catagory for butchered lines? To me, one would be the way PJ took one of the great interchanges (Eowyn and the Black Captain):

"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey. Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Emund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."

and reduced it to "I am no man." Yes, I know movie adaptations are necessary, but more of the exchange could/should have been worked in.[/B][/QUOTE]

I know, I was really disappointed by that.

I liked the quote from Falagar, also.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #12
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Out of the whole trilogy, the best scene that they improved from the book was by far the departure of Boromir, such as the sequence when he defends Merry and Pip, but most importantly the dialogue that was added between Aragorn and Boromir...

Boromir: "They took the little ones."
Aragorn: "Be still."
Boromir: "Frodo, where is Frodo?"
Aragorn: "I let Frodo go."
Boromir: "Then you did what I could not. I tried to take the ring from him."
Aragorn: "The ring is beyond our reach now."
Boromir: "Forgive me, I did not see it. I have failed you all." Aragorn: "No, Boromir, you fought bravely! You have kept your honor."
Boromir: "Leave it! It is over. The world of men will fall, and all will come to darkness and my city to ruin."
Aragorn: "I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you I will not let the white city fall, nor our people fail!" Boromir: "Our people? Our people."
Boromir: "I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king!"
Aragorn: "Be at peace, son of Gondor."
Aragorn: "They will look for his coming at the white tower, but he will not return."
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The exchange btwn Eowyn and the Witch King is one of the greatest moments in the entire book, IMO (and one of Tolkien's favorites, too) - I've read the book many times and can't read that part without tears coming into my eyes. I'm just profoundly grateful they didn't mess it up more than they did. It's actually not too bad, IMO, and I just fill in (in my head) with the dialogue from the book.

At least she didn't start singing "I am Woman; hear me roar!"

Perhaps there will be more of the dialogue in the EE *crosses fingers*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-01-2004, 05:41 PM   #14
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
.... Aragorn: "They will look for his coming at the white tower, but he will not return."
I miss the dirge

Quote:
"...Where now is Boromir the fair? He tarries and I grieve."

Old 01-01-2004, 10:56 PM   #15
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Oh, yes, Eowyn's scene. Come to think of it that popped into my head when I saw this thread, but I wasn't sure if complaining about that was allowed. I'm steaming mad that that was changed; yes, I know it had to happen for movie reasons, and yes, I am glad it didn't get butchered completely. But oh, that broke my heart. That's one of my all-time favorite exchanges. I've got the whole thing memorized!

I would have had it start, actually, at, "Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
Movie!Eowyn's "If you touch him I'll kill you" or whatever hurt my ears.

. . . . A cold voice answered. "Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, for he will not slay thee in they turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, and thy flesh shall be devoured, and they shriveled mind be left naked to the lidless eye."

I was glad to see "Come not between the Nazgul and his prey," left as was. I would have liked to hear the rest of that, though.

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you like, but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man can hinder me!"
Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest, for it seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel . . . .

*sob* I won't type the rest. It'd be a little repetitve. But wah . . .

Rian, I tried filling in with the dialogue from the book, as it's quite firmly in my head, (see above) but I find that the influence of having the theatre's darkness all around me and the speakers booming the movie dialogue is a little overwhelming.

(all right, all right, I'll shut up now and go cry, and not trouble you with my dissappointment any longer)

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #16
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Dunedain
Out of the whole trilogy, the best scene that they improved from the book was by far the departure of Boromir, such as the sequence when he defends Merry and Pip, but most importantly the dialogue that was added between Aragorn and Boromir...

Boromir is the son, and next in line, to the Stewart of Gondor. And if he died his little brother (my favorite book character) would have been next in line. Aragorn only became King after 1) he proved himself in battle with first the Rohirrim and then the Gondorians and 2) the populace gave their pro forma affirmation to his kingship. It was not a certainly he would be accepted. After all, the refusal of Gondorians to accept a king from Arnor is what started the line of the Stewarts. Boromir might have personally have grown to believe in Aragorn and wish for his ascendance to the throne but under no circumstances would/should he have made such a formal (granted a death scene) statement.

Oh, and perhaps the extended DVD EE will have some of the Eowyn/Black Captain book scene added. It's not the only bit in the movie which seemed to have a feel of some cuts in the movie version (or that could be wishful thinking).

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-01-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:03 AM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I miss the dirge
Yeah that was a good part in the book. Though I do love the dialogue they added for that sequence in the movie. Unfortunately the funeral aspect of it would have defeated the "haste" they needed in the movie, even one thing the "Three Companions" debated in the book One thing I wish they added to that movie sequence was the swords and helms of all the orcs he killed before dying, but it was still great either way

I think Tolkien would have been very proud of how that scene turned out...

--Linaewen
Old 01-02-2004, 12:09 AM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
Originally posted by Dunedain

Boromir is the son, and next in line, to the Stewart of Gondor. And if he died his little brother (my favorite book character) would have been next in line. Aragorn only became King after 1) he proved himself in battle with first the Rohirrim and then the Gondorians and 2) the populace gave their pro forma affirmation to his kingship. It was not a certainly he would be accepted. After all, the refusal of Gondorians to accept a king from Arnor is what started the line of the Stewarts. Boromir might have personally have grown to believe in Aragorn and wish for his ascendance to the throne but under no circumstances would/should he have made such a formal (granted a death scene) statement.
I think you need to read the book again, cuz Boromir in the book was all for Aragorn to come to Gondor and lift up the reforged sword of Elendil. I think that is why they put that line at Boromir's death, cuz in the books he speaks as though he is welcoming Aragorn to unite Gondor again. In the movie, I think that line is more of a redemption of Boromir's character through his fatal flaws and corruption. I actually think it is one of the better lines in all of the trilogies, because it gives you Boromir's true feelings and doesn't show you his "tough guy persona" that was portrayed earlier in the film with him saying "Gondor needs no King"...The arguement could be taken further as well in respect to Aragorn's acceptance as opposed to the dismissal of the right of accession to the King from Arnor...

--Linaewen
Old 01-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #19
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
Quote:
I think that is why they put that line at Boromir's death, cuz in the books he speaks as though he is welcoming Aragorn to unite Gondor again.
True. And I'm not trying to go off on a "in a movie things need to be simpler for stupid people" rant, but there is something to be gained in having the Gondorian(?) lords both present the same attitudes toward the coming of the King--and changing Denethor's feeling was out of the question. It just keeps it clearer in your mind, sort of. So in a film where things are moving fast, you sort of need to "clear the air," as it were.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:05 PM   #20
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

He would have welcomed a returning king, true, but he didn't quite believe that Aragorn was the real k[th]ing
(see line: "Yet we are hard pressed, and the Sword of Elendil would be a help beyond our hope -- if such a thing could indeed return out of the shadows of the past.")
At least that is how it starts out, as they progress in the quest Boromir gets more respect for Aragorn.
Quote:
I generally agree, and I think Sean Bean, the directors, and the scriptwriters made Boromir much more of an attractive and sympathetic character then the book, but.....
I must disagree there, reading the book again (and taking especially notice of Boromir, who is now among my favorite characters) he is not half as unsympathic as some have claimed.