Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #101
Mercutio

Yes. Austen's first few books published were written "By a Lady."

"Sense and Sensibility" was credited "From the author of Pride and Prejudice."...or vice versa (?). It was a little later when people really started guessing her authorship and her brother Henry started publicizing (readily admitting that his sister wrote such witty and popular novels).

^that kind of got off track

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #102
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I saw the new P&P film yesterday. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers because, even though I think we all know the plot some of you might not want the details spoiled.

The first thing to say is, I think the experience of watching this film is completely changed by whether you've seen the BBC adaptation or not. I've seen it more times than I can count, I can quote lots of it by heart, and I don't really think it can be improved in essentials. For me it is the definitive version. So in watching this film I couldn't help comparing the two at almost every moment, which meant I didn't approach it in a wholly unbiased state of mind - it had a lot to prove to me so as not to seem like an attempt to cash in on a popular book by hiring some cute young movie stars. That's certainly not what this is - but neither is it really Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

Unlike the BBC version, which IIRC was six hours long, this film only has two hours to get through the whole plot. They fit the important things in well - mostly sacrificing minor characters (Sir William Lucas, Mrs Phillips, the Hursts etc.) and reducing Darcy's letter of backstory to a few sentences. Not much is wanting in plot terms. But in character, a lot of depth seemed lost to me, especially in the development of Darcy and Elizabeth's feelings towards each other - especially her transition from amused dislike, to hatred, to respect and then love. The real problem was Keira Knightley - she just can't carry off Lizzy's intelligence and wit, or convincingly suggest the growth she experiences when she learns her prejudices can be wrong. P&P is not just a light romantic comedy, as some people claim - it also concerns questions of self-deception and a firm core of moral judgement (I recommend C.S. Lewis' essay on the subject). This film lacks all of that and doesn't convey why something like Lydia's elopement is morally shameful as well as socially embarassing. Darcy's decency to his tenants isn't mentioned, so his essential goodness (such an important thing for Lizzy to discover at Pemberly!) just isn't there.

I really can't decide about Matthew Macfadyen as Darcy. I like him as an actor, and he's good-looking enough if that's what matters, but it's difficult to judge someone's awkwardness in playing a character who is meant to be awkward all the time I think he was good. But I don't know.

The film certainly looks nice. It's Romantic (with a capital R) - lots of pouring rain, full moons, dramatic piano music, and a proposal scene which would be more suited to Wuthering Heights. The actors playing Jane, Charlotte Lucas, Mrs Bennet and Mr Collins, and Judi Dench as Lady Catherine, were all sufficiently different enough to the other adaptation to be interesting. Unfortunately, Bingley is portrayed as rather an idiot, a kind of Hooray Henry, and Miss Bingley isn't very haughty. Mr Bennet isn't the clever, cynical man of the books (and seemed to me to be struggling with his accent). Georgiana Darcy isn't shy at all, and Wickham is an Orlando Bloom looklike (seriously!), weak rather than deceitful.

I liked the ending - no sickly double wedding, it just finishes with Mr Bennet giving his consent. As I said, the second proposal scene seems to have come in from a different film, and I don't like Heathcliff!Darcy striding across the meadows, but the first proposal isn't too bad. The meeting at Pemberly is much better than the BBC's wet shirt take on it, with a nice scene between Darcy and Georgiana while Lizzy is spying on them.

So, in conclusion, very enjoyable, with Keira Knightley the worst thing about it. She seemed to be doing a Jennifer Ehle impression some of the time, but that wasn't enough to save her acting
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 09-16-2005 at 10:10 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #103
Mercutio

Interesting, sun-star.

I recently watched the old (197?) BBC production of it. I think that was equal to the Ehle/Firth version. The older one did had even more depth than Ehle/Firth...in part because they had a lot of Elizabeth's thoughts and more narration.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #104
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Interesting, sun-star.

I recently watched the old (197?) BBC production of it. I think that was equal to the Ehle/Firth version. The older one did had even more depth than Ehle/Firth...in part because they had a lot of Elizabeth's thoughts and more narration.

I haven't seen anything since the old BBC version because I loved it so much. In fact, loved it so much I bought it when it became available. Never did see the new BBC version. Based on sun-star's review, I'll probably just watch the old one again instead of going to the movies. And it's probably about time to just read the book again, too.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:32 AM   #105
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Oh dear, I hope I haven't put everyone off the new film! It's had good reviews and is top of the box office charts after the weekend, so I'm sure some people liked it. It just wasn't true to the way I read the book.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #106
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Oh dear, I hope I haven't put everyone off the new film! It's had good reviews and is top of the box office charts after the weekend, so I'm sure some people liked it. It just wasn't true to the way I read the book.
You haven't put me off the film. I just love the book so much that I'd rather read it again than watch a movie. And when I get to the point that I want a visual representation, I'm very content with the old BBC version. I really appreciate your perspective on the movie. One of these days I might even watch it, but I probably won't make a great effort to go to the theater now. Of course, that would presuppose that it even makes it to our little town's theater!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:50 AM   #107
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I was already put off the film anyway by Keira Knightley, funnily enough. Now, I have a terrible memory so I probably won't notice much if they cut some things about, but really, a 2 hour long P&P movie? Even I would notice omissions. And I can get really pedantic about character portrayal (e.g. Faramir, esp in TTT)
Anyway, my point was I'd probably be very annoyed by the film and Miss Eternal Pout anyway.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #108
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Yes. Austen's first few books published were written "By a Lady."

"Sense and Sensibility" was credited "From the author of Pride and Prejudice."...or vice versa (?). It was a little later when people really started guessing her authorship and her brother Henry started publicizing (readily admitting that his sister wrote such witty and popular novels).

^that kind of got off track
Sir Walter Scott's "Waverly" novels are actually not about Waverly, which was his first. The reason some of his books are "Waverly" novels is because his name wasn't published with that first book, and they put "By the author of Waverly" on each of his subsequent novels.

I won't say anything about the new P&P except this: Keira Knightly isn't fit to play an Austenian heroine. She doesn't belong in that type of movie, she just doesn't look the part.
And has anyone heard that Anne Hathaway is going to playJane Austen in a bio pic? Anne Hathaway is skeeny. Jane is healthily plump (in the portrait I saw).

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #109
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Anne Hathaway, of Princess Diaries fame? o.O Can't quite picture her as Jane Austen... at all.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:12 AM   #110
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Anne Hathaway, of Princess Diaries fame? o.O Can't quite picture her as Jane Austen... at all.

Nor can I.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #111
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I am currently reading Mansfield Park. I've never seen any movie based on it, so it is a different expirience of Jane Austen (the other two books of hers I've read--Sense and Sensabilitly and Pride and Prejudice--I read after watching movie versions.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #112
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Did you know that the director, Joe Wright, of the new P&P film, hasn't even read the book?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #113
Mercutio

Really?! Did he just read the screenplay someone else wrote?

Old 10-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #114
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Did you know that the director, Joe Wright, of the new P&P film, hasn't even read the book?
Wow!!! That certainly will make me think twice before seeing it.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #115
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
WHAT!!!! Thats not legitimate! that's illegal!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #116
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Yeah, I know. A bit disturbing, huh? I read it here
(Note that it's the 2nd page of the review)
Old 10-28-2005, 12:52 AM   #117
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Actually, it is supposed to be a really good adaptation, except for the very last scene (this is according to my entryway tutor, who is a Jane Austen obsessee, so I trust her). The last scene was only added for American audiences. Which - boo.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #118
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Actually, it is supposed to be a really good adaptation, except for the very last scene (this is according to my entryway tutor, who is a Jane Austen obsessee, so I trust her). The last scene was only added for American audiences. Which - boo.
So what's the last scene? (I guess you should put the answer in spoilers )
Old 10-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #119
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I just saw a preview of the new P&P - it looks good ... *cross fingers and toes*

What in the WORLD would they add for American audiences?!?!?! They better not mess wi' my JANE!!!
(Jane Austen, not Jane Bennet)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-29-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:51 PM   #120
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I don't really know - my teacher said she didn't want to spoil it, just that the British ending was at
"If any young men come for Mary or Kitty, send them in, for I am quite at leisure"