Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2002, 04:01 AM   #1
Vardasoroniel
Enting

the breaking of the original fellowship

i am just re-reading the silmarillion, and was struck by a section in the 'valaquenta':

". . . Among them Nine were of chief power and residence; but one is removed from their number and Eight remain, the Aratar, the High Ones of Arda: Manwe and Varda, Ulmo, Yavanna and Aule, Mandos, Nienna, and Orome. . . ."

Melkor(Morgoth), of course, is the one removed - his downfall brought on by his own self-pride and greed turning eventually to complete evil. "He began with the desire of Light, but when he could not possess it for himself alone, he descended through fire and wrath into a great burning, down into Darkness."

these passages started me thinking about the fellowship of the 9 in the LOTR, and especially about Boromir. I was wondering if this fellowship of the third age was a re-cycling of the original 'fellowship', and if by extension, there would be one more moment of grace for Morgoth and a possibility for redemption as seen in Boromir's recanting of his selfish actions which stirred up trouble and grief for the other members of the LOTR fellowship.

what do you think?

Last edited by Vardasoroniel : 03-11-2002 at 04:20 AM.
Vardasoroniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 04:22 AM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

don't have much to add but it is an interesting thought

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:45 AM   #3
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Well, when you read Myths Transformed in The History of Middle-Earth volume 10 Morgoth's Ring you will find that Melkor had a chance to reconcile with the Valar. The trembling point was at the end of the war of powers when he discovered, that he was no longer able to daunt Manwe with his eyes. But in contrast to Boromir Melkor did not relent. He sticked to his way of terror and war and only feigned piece and friendship to the Valar.

Regards
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 09:32 AM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

This is a little philosophical, but...Maybe that's what Morgoth did to Middle-Earth. He made the free peoples doomed to repeat this loop over and over again, and Boromir's death was a triumph, because he repented.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 11:51 AM   #5
Ararax
Elven Warrior

Well history repetes its self in more ways then one
Old 03-11-2002, 12:13 PM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

So is Sam Gamgee Mandos?
Old 03-11-2002, 01:10 PM   #7
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Findegil
Well, when you read Myths Transformed in The History of Middle-Earth volume 10 Morgoth's Ring you will find that Melkor had a chance to reconcile with the Valar. The trembling point was at the end of the war of powers when he discovered, that he was no longer able to daunt Manwe with his eyes. But in contrast to Boromir Melkor did not relent. He sticked to his way of terror and war and only feigned piece and friendship to the Valar.
yes, he did not relent then, but i was thinking more of the cycle of repeating mythos as an extended spiral that turns upon itself, round and round, but never closes itself off. wondering, then, if the account of eru and the valar and their relationship to the harmony of themselves and their created universe might cycle around again in a new creation and a new universe (after all, there is all that VOID to work with) in which melkor has an epiphany and repents.

is that even a possibility? or did his descent into Darkness & Discord drive all the light and harmony from him?
Old 03-11-2002, 01:14 PM   #8
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
So is Sam Gamgee Mandos?
i wasn't thinking of an exact, 1:1 correlation between the individual valar/valier and the LOTR members.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:20 PM   #9
Ararax
Elven Warrior

id say mandros would be gandalf or aragorn
Old 03-11-2002, 01:41 PM   #10
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Ararax
id say mandros would be gandalf or aragorn
if i had to draw direct parallels about the 9 and the 9 - i might do it this way:

Manwe ----- Gandalf
Ulmo -------- Frodo
Mandos ---- Aragorn
Varda ------ Legolas
Aule -------- Gimli
Yavanna -- Sam
Nienna ----- Pippin
Orome ----- Merry
Old 03-11-2002, 01:49 PM   #11
Ararax
Elven Warrior

i like that comparison very nice
Old 03-11-2002, 08:09 PM   #12
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I was only half-heartedly making fun of the idea. I am actually interested in the parallels between the Fellowship and the Aratar.

I like your comparisons too, only I don't Pippin really goes with Nienna. Gandalf or Frodo would be more fitting, though Frodo is good "as" Ulmo and Gandalf "as" Manwe (Gandalf in fact served Manwe and Varda). But it is probably the best that can be done. Frodo could be put with Nienna and Legolas with Ulmo too, but this leaves Pippin with Varda.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:24 PM   #13
Ararax
Elven Warrior

who created the dwarves though i think gimil would be best suited with him
Old 03-11-2002, 10:28 PM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
is that even a possibility? or did his descent into Darkness & Discord drive all the light and harmony from him?
Not all. But he slowly became more corrupt until he was cast out, and there is nothing to suggest he wouldn't continue.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:01 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ararax
who created the dwarves though i think gimil would be best suited with him
Aule.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 11:01 PM   #16
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

No one is all evil, at least not in Tolkien's world. In Catholicism (as I understand it, as I'm not Catholic) you can always find redemption.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:08 AM   #17
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Yeps, you're right Markedel. I am a Catholic, and we do believe that God always gives people second, third, millionth chances if they are truly seeking forgiveness.

With the Pippin/Nienna thing... I almost think Pippin could be Orome and Merry could be Nienna. Merry's alot more serious and melencholy than Pip. ( On the side, wasn't Nessa one of the Valar, also? Or was she a Maia? I can't remember.)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:31 AM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

There are six Valar not listed here: Vairë the Weaver, Estë the Healer, Lórien Master of Visions and Dreams, Vána the Everyoung, Tulkas and Nessa. But there were 8 chiefs of the Valar (nine counting Melkor), who are called the Aratar: Manwe, Varda, Ulmo, Aule, Yavanna, Mandos, Nienna and Orome.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:15 AM   #19
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I'm preety sure Melkor is the embodiment of evil just so it has a name. Either that or he was suffering from painful itching and swelling. Ulmo was, at first, swayed by Melkor, but later proved the most active of the Valar. Frodo is a symbol of innocence and purity. Resisting the ring became overwhelming, and but for gollum, who knows how it may have ended (except JRRT).
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:00 AM   #20
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Look I have read the books and I see where you are coming from but i just don't think frodo is a good ulmo basically because ulmo is great and frodo is irritating i'm sorry to offend you but thats how i feel surely aragorn would be more ulmo being of numenorean descent and i also apologise for my punctuation or rarther lack of it

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote