Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2000, 05:31 AM   #1
Niffiwan

Unusual Novels (look inside)

in this case, by unusual I mean novels that don't have a human or human-like creature as the main character.
Instead of which, the main character is an animal. To qualify, the book must be at least partly realistic (no animals in human forms)
I, for one, love those kinds of books. Tell me if you have any that I've missed.
So anyway, here's a list of those kinds of books that I have with a rating (*=a star) and comments beside it.

Raptor Red (long, memorable book) *****
This book is great, just great. After a lot of thinking, I finally decided that this book is my favorite (it had been tied with LoTR for a long time). Not only is the storyline fascinating and realistic, but you also learn a lot of things from it; Robert T. Bakker (I even memorized the name) puts in a few lectures along the way, but in such a subtle manner that you almost don't notice. Another nice thing about this book is that while it mostly focuses on Raptor Red, you get a lot of insights into many other characters along the way too; that's not very common in these novels. I would reccomend this for anyone who likes LoTR; you'll love it almost guaranteed (unless you don't believe in evolution, in which case you'll hate it).
I've read this book about 5 times (about once every 2 months) ever since I got it.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull (short but memorable) *****
This book is pretty short, but it really is a masterpiece. I have never before seen anything like it. The least it could do is make you have some second thoughts about life as you have thought it existed. This should apeal to just about anyone.

Silverwing (long book) ****
Meant for kids, but readable for adults. This is very close to having human-like characters, etc. Some parts in it I found are too short, but otherwise it's very good. Note: If you read it, DO NOT read the 1st chapter of Sunwing (at back of book); it ruins the ending to the book. I'm now trying to forget it...

Young Grizzly (a bit too many things crammed in) ***1/2
This is probably for older readers, although it is short. It doesn't have a very powerfull plot although it gives an attempt at that, but it is extremely realistic, and provided some information about bears that I had not known before.

the book to a grizzly movie.. I forgot the title, will look it up tommorrow.... (short, but long enough for the story) ****
It's pretty good, but there are a few certain parts in it which I will not mention which are dissapointing. The storyline, however, is very powerfull. It is more expertly written than Young Grizzly, although with not as much realism; the grizzly in the book is an exception.

Well, those are the ones I have. Is anyone else interested in these? Does anyone else have some that I haven't mentioned?
Thanks.