Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2000, 08:16 PM   #1
IronParrot

"Gone With The Wind" - Margaret Mitchell

I thought I might as well bring this forum to life, or attempt to, by starting a thread on the OTHER big literary phenomenon of the twentieth century... but I'm too lazy to make a long and detailed post.

So... who here's actually read the original novel besides me? I know a good deal of you have...
Old 06-22-2000, 08:17 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: "Gone With The Wind" - Margaret Mitchell

I could barely sit through the movie. It was so boring! No way am I going to attempt that large, dull book version
Old 06-22-2000, 08:19 PM   #3
IronParrot

The movie remained very faithful to the book, actually... minus a few quirks here and there (Wade Hamilton got cut entirely)...

But yeah. It's a long read. But it's no "thicker" in terms of pacing than, say, LOTR...
Old 06-27-2000, 02:18 PM   #4
gatito

I read it right before LOTR actually, and loved it (I love the movie too). It really isn't that long, though it seems like it, it is only 700 pages LOTR is more than 1000 so length shouldn't be an issue . Also I know people who don't know the book assume that it is only a love story and though that is a big part of it, the love story is only a back drop to telling a story of a historical event through the eyes of a people who witnessed it. GWTW is a great book to learn about the civil war and then about the radical republican's reign on the South by the views of the southeners. And like LOTR, GWTW has amazing characters.

The Movie was great, the Book was incredible.

Luv Always,
Gat
Old 06-27-2000, 02:41 PM   #5
galpsi

Re: The other great literary event of the century

What century of kitsch are you talking about?
Old 06-27-2000, 08:36 PM   #6
noldo

Re: The other great literary event of the century

One thing I love in that movie is that death and love walk hand to hand. It's so classy...
Old 07-01-2000, 03:29 PM   #7
etherealunicorn

GWTW

I liked GWTW, but I kept having the great urge to just slap Scarlet until her teeth rattled.
Old 07-01-2000, 04:03 PM   #8
IronParrot

Re: GWTW

gatito is right. GWTW isn't a soap opera, like most people think it is. It's a tale of struggling through circumstances that no individual can control, and the complications brought about by that...
Old 09-24-2000, 08:51 PM   #9
Gilthalion

It would get my vote as one of the great novels of the 20th century, no doubt!

Our senior HS Adv. Eng. teacher was a GWTW nut and every student that went to CCHS had to "do" GWTW, book & movie!

I'm glad she made us do it, because although I liked the movie, I would probably never have bothered to read the book.

How sad that many kids will feel the same about LORD OF THE RINGS one day...

I hope they get an English teacher like Mrs. Mildred Boutwell!
Old 10-04-2000, 09:57 PM   #10
KellieNellie

Loved the book!!!!! Hated the movie. If I like the book, I never think the movie does it justice.
Old 12-10-2000, 04:09 AM   #11
cee2lee2

I remember reading it in junior high. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. I hid it in my algebra book and read it in class. Had to stop that though... I was getting to the weepy parts :rollin:
Old 12-16-2000, 08:09 AM   #12
Elysha

Now, THAT is hilarious, Cee2Lee2! I can just picture a person weeping their way through algebra in those parts...

Like someone else whose name was so complex I can't remember it, I liked the book, but keep having the urge to slap Scarlett.