Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2002, 06:08 PM   #1
AudrentheRanger
Enting

Location: Grey Havens, Middle Earth, in my own special place, a world unknown and magical, or perhaps of questing and flying like an Eagle with Gwaihir
Legolas a prince?

OK, FOTR mentions King Thranduil is Legolas' dad, so who's his mom? And how old is he anyway? A book about the movie says that Olrando Bloom say he's 2,931 yrs. old. How'd he calculate that?

The Wings of the Wind are swift indeed.

I am a bookworm.

"Fly you fools!" I'm no fool, but I would gladly fly!
AudrentheRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 08:27 PM   #2
Ithildin55
Hobbit

Re: Legolas a prince?

Quote:
Originally posted by AudrentheRanger
OK, FOTR mentions King Thranduil is Legolas' dad, so who's his mom? And how old is he anyway? A book about the movie says that Olrando Bloom say he's 2,931 yrs. old. How'd he calculate that?

This really doesn’t belong in the Silmarillion thread, so it will likely get moved. But, wherever it ends up, here’s the scoop on the Prince of Mirkwood:

There is no evidence I have ever heard of that Tolkien ever stated an age for Legolas or provided any information on his mother or possible siblings. Yes, King Thranduil, the Elvenking from The Hobbit, is his father.

The most logical estimates I have seen concerning his age place him about 500 – 1000 years old at the time of the War of the Ring. But that is only an estimate – Tolkien could have envisioned him being much older. Legolas makes several comments indicating that he considers himself old, and though 500 might be considered fairly young for an Elf, face it – 500 years is a long time for anybody!

The movie “assigned” an age of 2931 years for Legolas. The only reasoning I can guess at is this – and it is just a theory…
IIRC, I noted that according to the appendix of LOTR, Aragorn is 81 years old and was born in T.A. 2931 – so my guess is that they just switched that and placed Legolas’ birth in T.A. 81; making him just slightly older than Elladan and Elrohir (the twin sons of Elrond) and their sister Arwen (whose birthdates can be found in the Appendices of LOTR.) But, again, the age of 2931years old is true only for the movie version of the story.

Hope this helps,
Ithildin55

Those who risk nothing – achieve nothing...
STS-107 Columbia and Crew: Your Dream will live on.
We will keep reaching for the stars.
Ithildin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 10:03 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Moving to the Middle-earth forum.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 10:17 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

IMO, Legolas was very young for an Elf, being about 900. In the HoMe series it state that Elves did not reach full stature until between 50 and 100 years. Legolas always reminded me of a teenage Elf, if you want to talk to someone who really knows Legolas, ask Entmoot's own Elanor Gamgee.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-30-2002, 12:08 AM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think Legolas is rather young for an Elf too, perhaps even younger than SGH's guess of 900.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:23 PM   #6
Elanor Gamgee
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
IMO, Legolas was very young for an Elf, being about 900. In the HoMe series it state that Elves did not reach full stature until between 50 and 100 years. Legolas always reminded me of a teenage Elf, if you want to talk to someone who really knows Legolas, ask Entmoot's own Elanor Gamgee.
Thank you, Sister, that's very kind of you.
Still, I'm quite sure, anyone among the Mellyn would qualify for your definition. Your know whom I mean - Ithildin, Kirinki, Morgan, Rain, Luthien. Ithildin's answer is superb, IMHO.
Nor bid the stars farewell.
Elanor Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 01:05 PM   #7
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Maybe 2931 was just a random number
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:14 PM   #8
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I've heard that they were trying to reinforce the idea that Elves are Old. Why you need to make Legolas old when you have fossils like Elrond, Celeborn, and Galadriel to cite as evidence, I can't fathom.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:31 PM   #9
Elven Princess Arwen
Sapling

Legolas is 2,931 years old. Gee, talk about seeing alot!

“All things are connected like the blood which unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.” -Chief Seattle

*~*Arwen*~*
Elven Princess Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:24 PM   #10
galadriel
Elven Warrior

But he ISN'T 2931 years old! Still, you're right, he is pretty durn old compared to your average Middle-earthling. It's kind of funny to think that our very own blonde-haired bow-wielding Legolas is older than rough-and-tough weather-stained Aragorn. But it's true.

dreamflower
Old 12-03-2002, 04:59 PM   #11
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
But he ISN'T 2931 years old! Still, you're right, he is pretty durn old compared to your average Middle-earthling. It's kind of funny to think that our very own blonde-haired bow-wielding Legolas is older than rough-and-tough weather-stained Aragorn. But it's true.
You don't KNOW that for sure! HAHA!! *cackle cackle cackle*

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

We don't no for sure that he had blonde hair either.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-03-2002, 09:16 PM   #13
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
You don't KNOW that for sure! HAHA!! *cackle cackle cackle*
Uh... ok. But wouldn't it be a mighty big coincidence if Peter Jackson's magic number just happened to coincide with Tolkien's unwritten beliefs on Legolas's age??

dreamflower
Old 12-03-2002, 09:32 PM   #14
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
We don't no for sure that he had blonde hair either.
That's an understatement. His hair could have been any color natural to hair.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:00 PM   #15
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

There's no punk elves with pink hair? You've just shattered one of my ME ideas!

Since his dad's hair was "golden", according to the Hobbit (if the "woodland king" referred to is Thranduil, which seems likely), it's at least a semi-reasonable conjecture that Legolas' hair is blonde. (Funny how genetics work - both my husband and I have brown hair; 2 of our kids have brown hair, and one is a blondie - both his grandparents are blonde, and he looks exactly like them - the top half of his face looks like one granddad, and the bottom half like the other!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:12 PM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

That's one of the two most common arguments. A lot of people point out that most Elves had dark hair, and a lot of people point out that his father was blonde. Personally, if I was ever going to draw Legolas -- and I am no artist -- I would give him brown hair just to be different.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:29 PM   #17
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Our ability to speculate really depends on knowing who Legolas' mother was. So he inherited the blond gene from Thranduil. If his mother was also Sindarin, she could be brown, blonde, or silver-haired. (Am I right on this?) And if she was Silvan, she'd probably be brunette. In any of these circumstances, she could pass Legolas genes that would allow him to be blond. Of course, the possibilities of him being blond would increase if she were Sindarin (and thus a more likely carrier of blond genes).

And of course, we don't know who his mother was. So we're back to where we started.

Before I saw the movie, I always though of Legolas as brown-haired. But Thranduil being blond convinced me, even though it's not definitive proof.

dreamflower
Old 12-03-2002, 10:35 PM   #18
Elven Princess Arwen
Sapling

I meant to pose that as a question. As in: "he is 2,931 years old?" i just made the wrond puncuation. But that is his assigned "movie age" but wheather his real age is that, if you wanna calucate it and find out exactly what it is i ain't stoppin ya.

“All things are connected like the blood which unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.” -Chief Seattle

*~*Arwen*~*
Elven Princess Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:34 PM   #19
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
Personally, if I was ever going to draw Legolas -- and I am no artist -- I would give him brown hair just to be different.
and if I were to draw Legolas, people would break out laughing! (I draw at the level of a kindergarten student )

No, we'll never know his age or the color of his hair. But, just to irritate Legolas fans , JRRT himself said that Legolas probably accomplished the least of all the Fellowship. He must have been in a cranky mood after a book signing where fans asked about Legolas' hair color Really, I think shooting down the Nazgul's steed was pretty good, and I don't recall anything special that Gimli did, except being really good with his axe in battle. But Legolas saved Aragorn with his archery skills, too (or was it Éomer? I forget....)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 12-04-2002 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:41 PM   #20
Rían

Here it is, in the Helm's Deep chpt - Gimli saves Éomer via axe, and Legolas saves Aragorn via arrow.