Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Hobbit Questions

I was rereading the Hobbit last night and I read a couple of lines that have confused me.

Question # 1:
Quote:
Not the fellow who used to tell such wonderful tales at parties, about dragons and goblins and giants and the rescue of princesses and the unexpected luck of widows sons?
Was there any dynasties around that had princesses that needed rescuing? Or were they just stories that Gandalf (well, Tolkien really) made up?

Question # 2:
Quote:
. . ." not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands. . .
Was there actually any battles going on at that time? Or was it just Tolkien writing that becasue it was his first book and he didn't bother writing anymore about them?

Last edited by ArwenEvenstar : 01-14-2004 at 02:34 PM.
ArwenEvenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

I don't think Tolkien had thought out The Third Age at all when he wrote 'The Hobbit' - or even had any idea that there'd BE a 'Third Age'. He just made use of some of the things he had already created (Gondolin, Elrond, etc.) It could probably be explained away though. There'd be thousands of years to have opportunity for rescuing of princesses... and maybe there was enough strife going on along Gondor's borders - or maybe in distant lands beyond the areas we see on the maps in LOTR...??
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Actually I think he did have thoughts of other things going on, because remember wasn't his "first" story actually "The Fall of Gondolin", which was all basically about Tuor. Granted this wasn't published before the Hobbit, but he was telling it to people in 1916-17 and stuff...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

I forgot about the fall of Gondolin, I am so dumb sometimes

About the fighting around Gondor, would they really be princesses or would it be really rich, pretty females?
Old 01-14-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
About the fighting around Gondor, would they really be princesses or would it be really rich, pretty females?
Semantics.

I think JRRT has his general histories in mind when he refers to this stuff, but I don't think he is talking about any particular princesses or battles.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Ulmo
Enting

Idril and Aredhel could be applied here (and Luthien if you try hard enough, heh...) though it's obvious that Tolkien wasn't pointing out anything specifically. The Lord of the Rings hadn't even been considered, but the world of The Hobbit was already being linked to the world of The Silmarillion. Gondolin seems the best fit, as previously stated - especially since Tolkien referred to Gondolin a number of times because of Glamdring and Orcrist.

Elrond -

Quote:
These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars.

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
I was trying to answer both questions separately. Just guessing that maybe heroes would be currently (at that time) fighting maybe around Gondor...

While there could have been any number of 'princess rescues' in the course of history before that time - whether princesses of Gondolin, Gondor, Rohan, Arnor, Arthedain, Cardolan, Rhudaur, etc.

Just trying to 'cover' for JRRT!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #8
Ulmo
Enting

The White Council was moving against Sauron's reappearance in Dol Guldur around this time - could've been what he was referring to (in retrospect).

Old 01-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
While there could have been any number of 'princess rescues' in the course of history before that time - whether princesses of Gondolin, Gondor, Rohan, Arnor, Arthedain, Cardolan, Rhudaur, etc.
Just trying to 'cover' for JRRT!
Gondolin? GONDOLIN?! That place was gone before, I think, Hobbits even exsisted(sp).
Old 01-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #10
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Gondolin? GONDOLIN?! That place was gone before, I think, Hobbits even exsisted(sp).
Yeah - but Gandalf could probably still tell stories about it! Although actually, I don't know if the princess there ever needed particular rescuing... I had just seen Gondolin mentioned a few times in this thread and assumed it was about this - but I checked and I guess it wasn't... silly me!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Re: Hobbit Questions

Quote:

Question # 1:

Was there any dynasties around that had princesses that needed rescuing? Or were they just stories that Gandalf (well, Tolkien really) made up? CONSIDER THAT MIDDLE EARTH WAS apart from the Wide World and therefore there was much going on that was not a concern of Hobbits or anyone near the Shire. Gandalf had traveled far and long and so knew of these places and their peoples.

Question # 2:

Was there actually any battles going on at that time? Or was it just Tolkien writing that becasue it was his first book and he didn't bother writing anymore about them? [/B]
AGAIN THERE WAS EVIL in the world at large but remember the world didn't pay attention or even know about the Shire. So yes there could have been battles being fought out there.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Hero's existed outside of the known world of the Hobbits and although some of them became Hero's they knew of none in their time. Gandalf did but as he said they were all engaged in other battles at the time and so he had to turn to the Hobbits.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:05 PM   #13
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulmo
Idril and Aredhel could be applied here (and Luthien if you try hard enough, heh...)
You can add Finduilas, Túrin tried to rescue her, but he didn't succeed.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:53 PM   #14
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Ya, I guess you guys are right, but the dwarves would know more about that stuff too (about the heros . . .) 'cause they would be doing a lot of traveling.

They wouldn't really be refered to as princesses would they, as far as I know Luthien was the only real princess, but Gandalf would probably dumb it down for the Hobbits.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:34 AM   #15
Ulmo
Enting

Aredhel was the daughter of King Fingolfin; Idril was the daughter of King Turgon...that's why I listed them. Princesses.

Old 01-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #16
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

whoops I forgot that. I really need to reread the Sil. I feel so stupid! ! !