Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

Lost in Time?

From The Hobbit: Flies and Spiders
Quote:
So to the cave they dragged Thorin-not too gently, for they did not love dwarves, and thought he was an enemy. In ancient days they had had wars with some of the dwarves, whom they accused of stealing their treasure. It is only fair to say that the dwarves gave a different account, and said that they only took what was their due, for the elf-king had bar- gained with them to shape his raw gold and silver, and had afterwards refused to give them their pay. If the elf-king had a weakness it was for treasure, especially for silver and white gems; and though his hoard was rich, he was ever eager for more, since he had not yet as great a treasure as other elf-lords of old.
Hmmmm, it is interesting. This is of course a reference to the dwarves of Nogrod and the Elves of Menegroth. If one reads Of the Ruin of Doriath, PS, one notices that indeed there was a quarrel between the dwarves and Thingol because of the NauglamĂ*r (and the Silmaril), but there is no mention anywhere about the raw gold and silver that they were working for.
The answer of course can be found in the Book of Lost Tales II: The Tale of the Nauglafring, in which HĂşrin (kind of) brings the treasure of Nargothrond to Doriath (Artanor) and because Thingol (Tinwelint) is a poor woodland Elf King, he uses the dwarves as the smiths of this treasure. The chapter Of the Ruin of Doriath, has been edited heavily by CT based on several ideas as how to resolve certain problems, such as where Thingol died, and how.

My question to you is this: Do you think that being The Hobbit a published book by JRRT, that CT should have taken the working of the gold and silver by the dwarves and included it in his version of the Silmarillion?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:49 AM   #2
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

"In ancient days they had had wars with some of the dwarves, whom they accused of stealing their treasure. It is only fair to say that the dwarves gave a different account, and said that they only took what was their due, for the elf-king had bar- gained with them to shape his raw gold and silver, and had afterwards refused to give them their pay"

Well, While the Doriath/dwarf connection is common knowledge, I somehow missed the clear reference above to shaping raw gold and silver. This seems to me to make it canon and CT in error in ignoring it. However, the people working on the Silmarillion project should probably be consulted, since they seem quite knowledgable in such affairs related to the first age. (For my part I haven't been able yet to work myself up to gettting into such works as Home). Biography, Letters, and Unfinished Tales are quite enough for the time being, given work and other calls on ones time.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-02-2003 at 10:32 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:38 AM   #3
Maedhros
The Tall

I'm not looking for a canonical answer to the question really. CT had basically 3 texts to work in the making of that Chapter: The Wanderings of HĂşrin, Tale of the Nauglafring and the Quenta Noldorinwa.
The "Wanderings" (which is the latest) unfortunately does not reach the part when HĂşrin comes to Doriath, so we have only the "Tale" and the "Quenta". In both of those texts, there is the broken promise of reward by Thingol because of their labours.
CT in the making of that chapter in the Published Silmarillion omitted the bringing of the Nargothrond hoard to Menegroth, thereby removing the request and reward for their labours of working with the gold, and it was replaced by the merging of the NauglamĂ*r (which in the Published Silmarillion was made by the dwarves to Finrod Felagund) with the Silmaril.

I'm asking for people opinions on this matter. Is the material in The Hobbit sufficient enough to reintroduce the hoard of Nargothrond in a Revised Ruin of Doriath?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

It still looks like you're asking for canon, but then asking for people's opinion is basically the same thing since everyone seem to have their own canon.

I would answer yes, because as you said, The Hobbit was published by JRRT, and The Hobbit and the Quenta was the last texts JRRT wrote on the matter.

I'm intrigued on why you're asking this question.

Last edited by Artanis : 11-02-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think he is trying to write a revised version of it.

My vote is "yes."
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I think he is trying to write a revised version of it.
I know, I just wondered why he seems to put off TN and QN as sources.
Why Maedhros?
Old 11-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I know, I just wondered why he seems to put off TN and QN as sources.
Why Maedhros?
I'm not sure what do you mean by this?
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:52 AM   #8
Artanis

You asked
Quote:
Is the material in The Hobbit sufficient enough to reintroduce the hoard of Nargothrond in a Revised Ruin of Doriath?
I just wondered why you're asking whether The Hobbit is sufficient, since the Tale of the Nauglafring and the Quenta Noldorinwa also exist as sources.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:45 AM   #9
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I think Maedhros with "sufficient" is referring to the inconsistences that exists between The Hobbit and the rest of the canonical ( ) books.

I would respond yes and no. There's no problem with a little inconsistence in TH as this, because it was wrote by Bilbo Baggins, who had heard the story (different accounts) from a group of wood elves and some dwarves, and probaby had transformed it to make it more impressive for his (doubtous) hobbit audience.