Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-10-2003, 12:13 PM   #21
Bilbo
Enting

I'm going to make some sense

Right, let's get this straight.
1: Gollum is from somewhere possibly in the Shire.
2: Bilbo is from the Shire
3: When Bilbo meets Gollum he mentions his name but not the Shire.

If I am correct, then perhaps either
1: Gollum followed Bilbo back towards the Shire (In a bit that Tolkein didn't write)
or
2: Tolkein forgot to write the important line in The Hobbit : 'I'm from the Shire'.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #22
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

But Gollum was NOT from the Shire.

The third post in this thread really takes care of the question - and it's right out of the second chapter of FotR.

Now... if you want to get into the migratory patterns of early hobbit-like creatures, you'll have to study the appendices and a few other sources.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:06 AM   #23
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

I dont want to interrupt, but I was reading in The Return of the Shadow, from the HOME, and it said that the Hobbit was never supposed to have a sequel, it was supposed to be seperate from the larger myth, but people clamered for it, so he wrote LOTR, and he had to put the Hobbits somewhere. I would imagine that when he wrote the Hobbit, he really didnt think of them being too important to his myth, so he didnt think of a name for their country. I could be wrong too, but oh well.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #24
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Beor
I dont want to interrupt, but I was reading in The Return of the Shadow, from the HOME, and it said that the Hobbit was never supposed to have a sequel, it was supposed to be seperate from the larger myth, but people clamered for it, so he wrote LOTR, and he had to put the Hobbits somewhere. I would imagine that when he wrote the Hobbit, he really didnt think of them being too important to his myth, so he didnt think of a name for their country. I could be wrong too, but oh well.

The Hobbit sequel just sort of got sucked into the legendarium and grew (a bit like topsy).

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote