Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2003, 12:43 AM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

What Happened To Hobbit Characters in LOTR?

Ever wonder why Thrandual, Bard of Laketown and Beorn didn't help in the War of the Ring? They though the battle of five armies was BIG.....forget it...some valuables, fueds and a dorky dragon? Come own! They can fight the bigger battles! What happened!

P.S. Do you notice all the major conflicts in Middle Earth were about Jewlery?

The Silmarillion: War of the Jewels

The Hobbit: War For Smaug's Stolen Jewelry and that STUPID Arkentstone.

LOTR: War of the Ring

I mean somebody tell me there is something wrong!

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood
The Precious

All of those were objects of great power, they didn't fight over the Arkenstone for your information, Thorin just got all bratty over it. And also, IT'S NOT STUPID!!!!!

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippen Skywalker
dorky dragon
Ummm, well, maybe you should get off this board...
but words are meaningless
in your absence.
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #3
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Bard and Beorn were already dead at the time of LOTR. The men of Dale and the Dwarves were besieged inside the Lonely Mountain, and Lorien and Mirkwood was also under attack at the same time as Gondor. So they could not have come to help because they were already at war.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yes, I was gonna say...It's been quite from the Hobbit to LOTR.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
Bard and Beorn were already dead at the time of LOTR
Beorn was dead at the time of LotR? He certainly didn't die in The Hobbit, so when did he die? What I know Beorn is still alive, roaming Middle-Earth in his bear form
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:53 PM   #6
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Guys don't get me wrong...I was joking a lot up there..I don't think the Arkenstone or anything else is stupid. LOL. It's just so FUNNY that a lot of the stories were about jewels or things like that. lol don't worry I love all the books

Old 03-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I would think that as he has a race named after him, he has passed away. Remember, he's still a Man.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:15 AM   #8
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pippin Skywalker
Guys don't get me wrong...I was joking a lot up there..I don't think the Arkenstone or anything else is stupid. LOL. It's just so FUNNY that a lot of the stories were about jewels or things like that. lol don't worry I love all the books
a long time member as you, Pipski, is not suspect of not loving Tolkien i only wonder why don't you post more often

obviously Lady_of_etc has missunderstood you.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I don't have the book on me but in Fellowship during the council Gimli talks about how Beorn's son or grandson still keep the High Pass open but their tolls are high. I will search for the quote.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:46 AM   #10
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

I'm sorry for not posting more Fat Middle *sniff* do you forgive me? *Bigger Sniff*

Seriously though I'm very busy And I try to post interesting things.

Old 04-24-2003, 04:52 PM   #11
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
I don't have the book on me but in Fellowship during the council Gimli talks about how Beorn's son or grandson still keep the High Pass open but their tolls are high. I will search for the quote.
I remember that too. And at the end of RotK (and a more extended version in UT) there is a small account given by Gandalf of the battles the Dwarves and Dalemen fought during the War of the Ring. If it weren't for Dain and the army under the Mountian, Sauron's forces would have been allowed to sweep first northward and then westward past the Misty Mountains and down into Eriador, posing a direct threat to Rivendell, the Shire, and Mithlond.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #12
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I'm actually not sure about the answer. I know that Beorn and Bard were dead during that time, and Mirkwood was already having a feud with Sauron, so they couldn't help...
But other than that, I'm completely at sea.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:09 AM   #13
Silmo
Sapling

Acording to The Encyclopedia of Arda. . .

The Beornings were the descendants of Beorn, who dwelt in the Vales of Anduin between Mirkwood and the Great River, and who for many generations retained their ancestor's ability to take the shape of a bear.

According to this definition, there were most likely Beornings alive during the War of the Ring because they lived for generations after Beorn died.

Now, the last time I read the RoTK was a year ago, but i recently saw the movie, and this may be inaccurate, but soon after the battle at Minis Tirith, the soldiers of Gondor and Rohan marched to the black gates. In their haste, they probly didn't have time to summon every possible force of good to aid them in the battle against Sauron's armies.

Just some thoughts
Silmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Tolkien makes it clear in his letters that Beorn's lifespan was no greater than that of an ordinary Man. It's very unlikely, then, that he survived much beyond III 3000. (see The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 144, dated 1954). In the same letter referred to in Note 1, Tolkien explains that despite his remarkable abilities, Beorn definitely belonged to the race of Men: 'Though a skin-changer and no doubt a bit of a magician, Beorn was a Man'.

Grimbeorn the Old

The son of Beorn, who became a great lord in his own right. Like his father, he could take on the shape of a bear, and he dwelt in the same regions of the Vales of Anduin. He ruled in the Vales of Anduin in the year III 3018. The evidence points strongly to his being born after Bilbo's visit to his father in III 2941, so his age could be no more than 77 at the time he is called 'The Old'. He may, of course, have lived longer that this.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #15
Silmo
Sapling

Yeah, so basically, the beornings still existed and could have been called on.... but there was no time.

I really hope that they make th Hobbit movie because Beorn would kick butt.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:47 PM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Silmo
Yeah, so basically, the beornings still existed and could have been called on.... but there was no time.

I really hope that they make th Hobbit movie because Beorn would kick butt.
Actually there was a war going on in their realm, along with the Elves of Mirkwood. There is mention of those wars going on at the same time of the War of the Ring. They were just an extension of the battles we are told about in full detail...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #17
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

As has been said, most of characters in the Hobbit had died by the War of the Ring. Their descendants were fighting their own battle. That said, does anyone know if Tolkien wrote more about the other major battles of the War of the Ring? The siege of the Lonely Mountain and other battles were mentioned, but not in much detail. I would love to know more about them.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin II
As has been said, most of characters in the Hobbit had died by the War of the Ring. Their descendants were fighting their own battle. That said, does anyone know if Tolkien wrote more about the other major battles of the War of the Ring? The siege of the Lonely Mountain and other battles were mentioned, but not in much detail. I would love to know more about them.
I don't know for sure, but I am guessing they are mentioned more in The War of the Ring in the History of Middle Earth series, I think it's Volume VIII...I really don't know, I could be wrong...

--Linaewen
Old 01-14-2004, 11:11 PM   #19
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I don't know for sure, but I am guessing they are mentioned more in The War of the Ring in the History of Middle Earth series, I think it's Volume VIII...I really don't know, I could be wrong...
Thanks, Dúnedain; I'll check that out.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:25 AM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin II
Thanks, Dúnedain; I'll check that out.
hehe, don't take it to be true, I am guessing, I don't know for a fact, but it sounds good so I will stick with it

--Linaewen