Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Bilbo's Ring

In LotR, the Ring sharpens Frodo's senses as well as making him invisible. I didn't notice anything like this happening to Bilbo in The Hobbit. Does anyone know why? Just because JRR hadn't thought that part up yet, or perhaps because the Ring was rather 'dormant', not being in a 'serving Sauron' mood at the time?

It's always really funny to go back and read The Hobbit knowing that the Ring is evil, since there is really no indication of its nastier powers at all.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:47 AM   #2
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

FrodoFriend,

I have no explanation for difference of rings' effect in LOTR vs. The Hobbit.

One question I had why we do not see how the ring effects Bilbo in LOTR:FOTR.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:35 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

FrodoFriend, you're asking about the sharpening of the senses, and not the invisibility, yes? I actually think Frodo's senses was enhanced only by possessing the Ring, so that he was able to feel the presence of the Ringwraiths. But that would be because the Ringwraiths were searching for him and the Ring, and calling on him to put the Ring on. Bilbo did not have the Ringwraiths around, and Sauron wasn't concerned about the Ring at that time.

And, Frodo's senses was enhanced towards the wraiths world when he wore the Ring, everything else became dim to him. That didn't happen to Bilbo. It could be that the Ringwraiths in some way was able to control Frodo's perception of the world when he put the Ring on. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with right now.

Of course JRRT wrote the Hobbit long before LotR, but he made a great effort in bringing LotR into line with the Hobbit.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:48 AM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I was thinking about Frodo being able to hear Gollum's footsteps and see in the dark in Moria extremely well . . . this effect doesn't seem to be mentioned in The Hobbit. On the other hand, it's perfectly possible that these enhancements did come about, but Bilbo didn't notice it, since he wasn't so aware of the strange powers of his Ring. He did, after all, do a pretty good job of burgling. So maybe he just didn't perceive the effects of the Ring on him.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 02-08-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
He did, after all, do a pretty good job of burgling. So maybe he just didn't perceive the effects of the Ring on him.
That''s what I would think. And I think it does say soemthing in 'the Hobbit' about Bilbo being able to be quieter and sneakier when he had the Ring on.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #6
Aranwe
Enting

Quote:
In LotR, the Ring sharpens Frodo's senses as well as making him invisible. I didn't notice anything like this happening to Bilbo in The Hobbit.
He is made invisible by the ring in the Hobbit... thats how Gollum ran right past him in the tunnels, he escapes from the goblins and sneaks past the dwarf lookout (can't remember his name). As for the sharpened senses, I don't think it mentions this in the Hobbit.

Haven't read it for a long time though, so I'm not really sure.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:45 PM   #7
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
I was thinking about Frodo being able to hear Gollum's footsteps and see in the dark in Moria extremely well . . .
It was not the Ring that caused that, it was the wound from the Morgul-blade. From "A journey in the dark":
Quote:
Though he had been healed in Rivendell of the knife-stroke, that grim wound had not been without effect. His senses were sharper and more aware of things that could not be seen. One sign of change that he soon had noticed was that he could see more in the dark than any of his companions, save perhaps Gandalf.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:41 AM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Aranwe
He is made invisible by the ring in the Hobbit... thats how Gollum ran right past him in the tunnels, he escapes from the goblins and sneaks past the dwarf lookout (can't remember his name). As for the sharpened senses, I don't think it mentions this in the Hobbit.

Haven't read it for a long time though, so I'm not really sure.
I wasn't referring to the invisibility. I am perfectly aware that the Ring made Bilbo invisible in The Hobbit.

Artanis - good point, I confused the cause and effect there. But the Ring did enhance Frodo's perception enough that he saw Galadriel's ring upon her hand when Frodo didn't. I wonder if Bilbo would see it too? Or if Bilbo had had the Ring in Rivendell, would he have seen Elrond's ring?

Old 02-12-2003, 07:53 PM   #9
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

That's a good point FF. I wonder if Bilbo also saw Narya on Gandalf's hand as well.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #10
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Ah, but Frodo only was able to see Galadriel's ring after he'd first seen the Eye of Sauron in her mirror. That apparently "boosted" his insight in some way. He did ask G. why he couldn't see the minds of those wielding the three, and she said it was because he had never tried; she also warned him not to try it until he had trained himself to the domination of others (I forget the exact wording of her warning).

Bilbo never tried to use the Ring for anything other than invisibility, which may explain the lack of heightened sensitivity. Also, his travels didn't take him to a place like the Hill of Sight, nor were there any Nazgul or other beings "on the other side" around to be noticed during all his adventures while he was wearing the Ring.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #11
Artanis

Good points Lady of Ithilien. It seems like the Ring and the knife-wound worked together in enhacing Frodo's senses. Do you think he would have been able to see the eye in the first place, hadn't he been 'educated' the way he had? I doubt if Bilbo had been able to see the eye, and I don't think he would have seen Nenya.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:39 PM   #12
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Do you think he would have been able to see the eye in the first place, hadn't he been 'educated' the way he had? I doubt if Bilbo had been able to see the eye, and I don't think he would have seen Nenya.
That's a really good question, Artanis, and a difficult one to answer.

It helps to know that there's another hobbit, Pippin, who also saw Sauron (presumably the Eye) in something "magical." This means, perhaps, that the artifact or viewer that each was using was what enabled each of them to see the Eye, rather than the Ring just working on Frodo.

However, Frodo almost had a one-on-one confrontation with the Eye on Amon Hen , and that was the Ring's doing. But even there, apparently, something else was needed, in this case the Hill of Sight.

Since Bilbo had neither artifact nor special place to look through or from, he likely wouldn't have been able to see the Eye. Perhaps it confirms this that he put the Ring on in Mirkwood, relatively close to Sauron (close enough for Sauron's influence to have darkened the wood, anyway), and wasn't detected, nor was he drawn to the South, where Sauron was.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:20 AM   #13
Artanis

It is clearly several things working together here: The Ring, the Morgul-blade wound, other 'magical' artifacts, and the fact that Sauron in all cases was seeking for Frodo, or the Ring-Bearer and the Ring, or was trying to communicate (throught the Palantir).

As you said, Lady of Ithilien, Bilbo did not have any artifacts at hand, but nor did Sauron look for him, for yet he didn't know the Ring was found.

I marvel at those Hobbits, Pippin and Frodo. They confront Sauron (most unwillingly), and they resist him. They do better than both Denethor and Sarumann!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:53 AM   #14
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

That's the beauty of Hobbitness. If only everyone were so good-hearted.

In regards to the Ring 'giving power according to stature,' I think Frodo's mental 'stature' would definitely be greater than that of Bilbo, each in their respective case. Frodo was after all a thoughtful person, which might explain why he gained above all powers of perception. I think if we look closely, the Ring enhances each of its bearers' power in the direction of their natural inclinations, while still corrupting them to a greater or lesser degree. For example:

Frodo - becomes more perceptive, gains sharpened senses and deeper understanding

Bilbo - becomes more clever, adventurous, capable in general. The ring seemes to bring out the Took-ish side of him, if you know what I mean.

Gollum - gains strength and long life, and "power" in the form of power to kill

Of course, the negative effects of the Ring make it a bad bargain in the end!

Old 03-25-2003, 01:10 AM   #15
Avileandra
Sapling

Gollum Gollum

I seek someone to aid me in this search for information...please help
How did Gollum get his name?
What did Bilbo say when Gollum whispered in his ear?
How many teeth did Gollum say he had??
Avileandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:12 AM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Six teeth, noise made in throat, don't remember.

Welcome to the Entmoot!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:39 AM   #17
Avileandra
Sapling

Thank You for insight to a few answeres. I had written a request for other answers to do with the hobbit, care to peek. *bats lashes in a pleading manner*
Avileandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:47 AM   #18
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I think Tolkien wrote in LotR that the Ringbearer's senses was sharpened more and more the closer he came to Mordor.
That would explain why Sam's senses, though he wasn't stabbed by a Morgul-Blade, were boosted when he wore the Ring in Mordor. That would also explain why Bilbo seemed quite unaffected by the Ring in The Hobbit, since he never got that close to Mordor.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 PM   #19
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

When Frodo had the Ring, it made him more aware of the Nazgul because they are drawn to the Ring's power. In The Hobbit, the Nazgul were not searching for the Ring at the time, in fact, the Nazgul didn't even exist, so Bilbo only gained the power of invisability. But most of the answer comes from Tolkien's order of writing things, because Tolkien never planned on connecting The Hobbit with Lord of the Rings, and I don't think he even knew he was going to write LOTR in the future.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:57 AM   #20
Psycho Kitty
Enting

couldnt it also be that in lord of the rings saurons power is much much bigger then it was when the hobbit took place. so like the ring was more awake in a way then it was during bilbos time. that would explain why the more evil powers of the ring become more of an issue to frodo and arent really stressed in the hobbit. during the hobbit the whole dynamic between sauron/mordor and the ring isnt nearly as intense.

We all come to terms with it at some time or another.
That beautiful feeling of being left behind.
With the Golden promise touching anothers horizion.
Being left sitting still and waiting for nothing.
Unable to move until it comes.
Psycho Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote