Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2003, 09:46 AM   #21
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho Kitty
couldnt it also be that in lord of the rings saurons power is much much bigger then it was when the hobbit took place. so like the ring was more awake in a way then it was during bilbos time. that would explain why the more evil powers of the ring become more of an issue to frodo and arent really stressed in the hobbit. during the hobbit the whole dynamic between sauron/mordor and the ring isnt nearly as intense.
I was wondering if this would be mentioned. Looked like you beat me to it anyway. I think this is the case. You can see this happening all throughout Sam and Frodo's journey through Mordor. At one point either Frodo or Sam takes note of the different intensity of the Ring's power and the explanation is given that the Ring is getting closer to the master as the master becomes more powerful as well.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:42 PM   #22
legolialis
Hobbit

Strider

I believe that the enhansement of frodo's sences when he put on the ring were because he was drawing closer to mordor and the power of the ring was growing stronger
legolialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:47 PM   #23
juhsstin
Sapling

the proximity factor makes most sense to me. the first time frodo wears the ring at the prancing pony, tolkien says nothing about his experience aside from his self-admonishing for accidentally wearing it, like it was a careless mistake worth potential future yet unknown grief.
juhsstin is offline   Reply With Quote