Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2002, 09:11 PM   #61
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend

I thought that was the Arthur the Aardvark series . . . shows what I know.
Arthur the Aardvark?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:47 PM   #62
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

*gasp* You don't know Arthur?? Kids book series and TV show? They're quite amusing sometimes.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #63
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
*gasp* You don't know Arthur?? Kids book series and TV show? They're quite amusing sometimes.
Opps, that Arthur. i know what you're talking about. Which is your favorite house? I say Gryfinndor rules but TinuvielChild says Ravenclaw rocks.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:38 AM   #64
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

The Harry potter series were the worst books i have ever read. They where uncannely humiliating and synical.

Good ridence to them all!

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 04:22 PM   #65
Magicshrivve
Hobbit

I hate it

I hate those books.They can't even be considered fantasy books. They are STUPID,they are STUPID,they are STUPID

Last edited by Magicshrivve : 05-01-2002 at 04:37 PM.
Magicshrivve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 04:33 PM   #66
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hoo boy...!

Just because the plot is humourous, and doesn't have "serious"* elements, like David Eddings, or Tolkien, does not make it any less deserving of the fantasy genre. Personally, I like Harry Potter: I think they are a fantastic read, and have achieved much in re-introducing reading as a past-time to the younger generation. Not since Roald Dahl, has there been such an interest in an author.

*Although the most recent book was pretty dark.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:31 PM   #67
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

*rolls up sleeves and steps up to BeardofPants' side*

Yeah! You dissin' Harry Potter? Better watch your back!

OK, so I'm full of crap. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I still disagree with you. But you might as well get used to them, because I don't see them going away anytime soon.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 02:59 PM   #68
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Re: Order of the Phoenix

WHEN??????????????
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #69
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Re: Order of the Phoenix

WHEN??????????????
*WHY????*

Why O Why is it not out yet?!
Old 05-06-2002, 08:01 AM   #70
Prince Faramir
Enting

the question i have been wondering

surely there are some really dedicated entmoot members who really can be bothered to go look and find out [not me im busy]

does anyone know the original release date for it? is it behind or on time?

need books to read!!!
Old 05-07-2002, 08:36 PM   #71
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I love the HP books and am pissed at how long it is taking for the fith book to come out.
Sirius Black ruuuuuuulssssssss.
Oh and so does Lupin.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #72
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

RE: Order of the Phoenix

Here is an article on the fact that Order of the Phoenix may not be released until 2003. I like Harry Potter - so I was looking forward to the book coming out.

Rowling still at work on next Harry Potter book

Quote:
Judy Corman -- spokeswoman for New York-based Scholastic, which publishes the Potter books in the United States -- said she expects the fifth installment to come out during its 2003 fiscal year, which begins in June 2003.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-09-2002 at 02:33 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:48 AM   #73
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

WHY WON'T IT COME OUT ALREADY?

I feel like I'm constipated.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 05-10-2002, 06:07 AM   #74
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Well I am getting so exited thad I read each book six times each.
I think though that she is trying to keep the suspence up so more people will buy it. I think she said she is going to let each book out every year.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:21 PM   #75
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Nah, can't possibly be that quick.

Old 05-10-2002, 11:53 PM   #76
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm with you guys. I'm ready for the next one to be out already. I can't wait until 2003. I'm already waiting until then for Return of the King. Maybe they'll surprise us and bring the new Potter out this July. *crosses fingers*

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 05:36 PM   #77
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I'm crossing my fingers.
She basicly has all her books already planed out about what is going to happen in each. She just has to fix them up.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:00 PM   #78
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I love Harry Potter(not as much as LotR though)! It's a great book! I'm anticipating the 2nd movie and the 4th book a lot!
I think it's one of the best stories in the world(2nd place to LotR)
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 06:23 PM   #79
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Personaly I like the book waaaaaaay better than the movie.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:04 AM   #80
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Agreed.

Entertaining film, but there's no way the films will ever supplant the novels, the way they're going now. It may be a big hit now, but years from now it will be doomed to being screened in classrooms culminating studies on the books...

The sad thing about the film is, it got so many things right that nobody is ever going to attempt a Philosopher's Stone film again. So we'll always have to put up with a flawed movie that serves as a good adaptation, but is certainly no movie classic.