Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2001, 08:02 AM   #1
poppy
Hobbit

Thats cause he's what we call a Londener (cockney) But he is a cute little actor i think his facial exprections did it for me
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 11:25 PM   #2
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

That boy who plays Ron is absolutely fabulous. And I agree that it's his facial expressions that make him so notable. I've seen the movie *blush* 4 times, and even when Ron is not the focus of a scene you can tell exactly what he's thinking just by watching his face. For his age, he is an extremely focused actor, I think he's got quite a career ahead of him.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 07:51 PM   #3
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I like the first and second books BUT I think that I won't read anymore of them because of the graphic scenes and how the magic is so central to HP. A lot of the magic that is taught at the school is actually magic that is practiced in the real world, like divination is NOT some fancy of the author. It's the real thing and magic from a fantasy book should NOT exist in the real world, or better said, real magic from the real world should NOT exist in a child's fantasy book and in such detail. Anyway the books did'nt leave anything for imagination. We now what the Dementors are and what they do to their victims, it's like the author is taking the fact that humans can imagine things on their own for themselves for granted, and the fact that there is no fear bhind the Dementors just gory details. But I did enjoy the second book, very good.
Sam
ps. Lord Of The Rings'll be Better, WAY BETTER.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:59 PM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

uh... we are all entitled to our own opinions...and my opinion is that your opinion is the worst ever of harry potter that i have ever heard. not to mention contradictory! You say that you liked the second book, and yet heres all this **** that you say you didn't like about it. Oh well. Basically I diagree with everything you said. I also think that your opinion is very stooooopid. I could care less what you think of my response (childish or whatever), but...what you posted was just so stupid. And wrong, don't forget wrong. Now i'll go get a bunch of Harry Potter fans to jump on you What are you talking about leaving no room for imagination?? Who do you think you are saying that. Of course they do. There sure is fear behind the dementors. ugh. don't take this the wrong way, just telling you to get things straight.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 11:15 PM   #5
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Samwise of the Shire: I disagree with your opinion, however I do not think you are stupid at all. On the contrary, I thought your post was articulate and interesting. I still don't agree with some of your opinions, but you have every right to them, and every right to express them in this forum without being verbally abused.

So, I have a question for you. You wrote:

Quote:
A lot of the magic that is taught at the school is actually magic that is practiced in the real world, like divination is NOT some fancy of the author. It's the real thing and magic from a fantasy book should NOT exist in the real world, or better said, real magic from the real world should NOT exist in a child's fantasy book and in such detail.
Why should this not be in a child's fantasy book? Are you concerned we will all learn diviniation? Or do you simply think that it is too mundane a skill for a fantasy novel? I must say that personally, I don't think things like diviniation can be taught. I think of it more as a rare gift from whatever gods you believe in. If however your argument is that it is too mundane for fantasy, I'd like to remind you that Tolkien uses it as well with Galadriel's mirror. I didn't think there was anything mundane about that!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 11:32 PM   #6
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Sorry sam. I didn't call you stupid. I know you aren't. For telling you that your post was stupid, I apologize. Everyone does have the right to have their own opinion without everyone flaming them. I guess you could technically call what I did flaming. I just take Harry Potter very seriously, and I hate it when anyone says really nasty things about the books. I should have posted my message like Bregalad's post. For not doing this, I am sorry. I still strongly disagree with your post, but it was not a stupid post...perhaps you would like to explain in what ways you think that the books allow no room for imagination? In my opinion, it leaves a lot of room for imagination, which is why many people like the books. Why do you think magic shouldn't be in the books? Your opinions are all valid ones and not stupid. Again, I apologize for calling them as such.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:56 PM   #7
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ummmmm if you read anything about the author Harry Potter is nto suposed to be a kids book!

She actuly told them that it was not a book for kids, but they marketed it as a kids book.

If the kids are finding out about all this really magic stuff then its not her fault, SHE NEVER WANTED IT TO BE A KIDS BOOK! IT WAS FOR ADULTS!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:26 PM   #8
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Dooood

Really I did'nt know that. Actually Bregalad because I am a Chrisian I disagree with Divination on the HEROS part. Notice in the Lord Of The Rings the people who use Divination are DESTROYED UTTERLY(or given a good punishment-like being dragged to a begsiged city-) Sauron and Saruman BOTH use a Palantiri and both a DESTROYED in the end. Harry Potter is a hero, someone you look up to and he uses real Magick(Divination).
What I meant by saying real Magick should not be in a childs book is that it blurs the line between fantasy and reality. LOTR never happened and never will, it is pure undefiled by reality fantasy but Harry Potter is a what if book. What if this REALLY exists? That's ok in Cryptozoology but NOT in a fantasy book.
Let's not get int a RELGIOUS descussion. I did that ONCE on the Barrowdowns and I think I'm at the bottom of the popular list down there so let's keep this callm and quiet,k?
Sam
ps Thanks for telling me that Tesseract12. HOBBIT if you think THIS is dumb go to the Barrowdowns and find "any opinions of Harry Potter"on the Novices forum and you will think tis is a sages advice compared to THAT catastrophy. EEESH
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 12-14-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Your welcome Sam.

And I'm sorry, that post of mine was worded very rudly, I apologise. (Gets mintle image of that one star wars move Sam: "appology excepted capitan Tessar"
:Bmilder and Darthtater come and drag my lifeless body away)

lol sorry.
Old 12-14-2001, 06:26 PM   #10
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

You dont need to worry Tess. You're a friend and the only thing I do to friends is give them a good"you'd better not do that or else something or other will happen", I wont kill you. I dont even kill my enemies, I dunk them in a snow bank or in the pool . I accept your apology and HOBBITS.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 12-15-2001, 07:00 PM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

hummmmm remined me not to get on your badside within three feet of a pool or snowbank

Such a violent girl........ lol j/k
Old 12-16-2001, 06:11 PM   #12
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

LOL. You should be thankful you're a friend Tess or I Might have to throw you into a virtual Pool or Snowbank.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 12-16-2001, 10:52 PM   #13
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

r-r-r-r-really? y-y-y-y-you would-d-d??

s-s-s-orry ab-b-b-out the st-t-t-utering.

your scaring me girl
Old 12-17-2001, 11:26 PM   #14
Matto Baggins
Hobbit

harry potter

i just saw the movie and my opinion is too many important scenes were made short and too many important scenes from the book, for instance the whole ruckus that ensued after hagrid got norbert was played down to about 3 minutes of film. can u say oversight?
YOU-KNOW-WHO IS HOPELESS!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:45 PM   #15
Finglas
Enting

I was disappointed by that too, but they had to cut something. The movie was still about three hours long.
Finglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 01:45 PM   #16
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

HP

Sam, I totally respect your desicion not to read the books and opinion about the magic in them. Although I am a Christian, I have chosen to read them, but I understand completely. My personal thought? So long as you regard the books as a fantasy, as you would a fairy tale, you're OK. It's when you start believing that you can do the same stuff Harry & his friends can in the real world that you run into trouble. It's when kids get into that mindset that they start to investigate the occult & things like that. But with parental guidance, the books are fine for most kids. And as for learning divination? In the book, Harry and his friends think it's a big joke, and that the teacher can't really do it. The two students that actually believe the teacher has psychic powers are regarded by Harry and Ron as weird. That's OK though, if you still don't want to read them. It just shows your commitment to your morals and religion, and that's something everyone should have, 'cause as the old saying goes, if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."

Last edited by galadriel88 : 01-13-2002 at 04:14 PM.
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 02:53 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I love Harry Potter! He is great!

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way... I read the entired series in a week, and then re-read it again 2 weeks later! Great books. Can't wait for the 5th one to come out.

Regarding HP and religion, I think, that as long as you keep it in the format it is meant to be in, ie fairy tale/fantasy, then it is alright. Anyway, most children you speak to know that it is made up, and love the stories for the characters, and quiddich, rather than the DARK SIDE OF MAGIC. Nuff said. I don't want to dig myself into a hole, or anything!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:48 AM   #18
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Re: Dooood

[QUOTE]Originally posted by samwise of the shire
[B]Really I did'nt know that. Actually Bregalad because I am a Chrisian I disagree with Divination on the HEROS part. Notice in the Lord Of The Rings the people who use Divination are DESTROYED UTTERLY(or given a good punishment-like being dragged to a begsiged city-) Sauron and Saruman BOTH use a Palantiri and both a DESTROYED in the end. Harry Potter is a hero, someone you look up to and he uses real Magick [QUOTE]

Butr what about Gandalf? He uses magic doesn't he? And Harry and his friends use their magic for good, correct?

I've read all four books and, though not comparable to Lord of The Rings, I thought they were pretty good.

I am also a Christian but still enjoyed the books.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 04-16-2002 at 01:49 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:06 PM   #19
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
Ummmmm if you read anything about the author Harry Potter is nto suposed to be a kids book!

She actuly told them that it was not a book for kids, but they marketed it as a kids book.

If the kids are finding out about all this really magic stuff then its not her fault, SHE NEVER WANTED IT TO BE A KIDS BOOK! IT WAS FOR ADULTS!
I thought it started out as a goodnight story for her daughter.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:08 PM   #20
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString

I thought it started out as a goodnight story for her daughter.
I thought that was the Arthur the Aardvark series . . . shows what I know.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote