Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-15-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
thranduil
Elven Warrior

sorcerers stone

it says on the frog card of dumbledore, that he is known to have helped nicholas flemmel create the sorcerers/philosophers stone. But Flemmel is hundreds of years older then dumbledore. So how could dumbledore have helped.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I noticed it, and thought about it for a long time. The only thing I could think about is Dumbledore himself using the stone to have longer life. But there is other info that proves he didn't...
Anyone has suggestions?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 02:39 AM   #3
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Dumbledore can't have been using the Stone though or he would have died aswell.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Dumbledore can't have been using the Stone though or he would have died aswell.
Well, as he said, he still have time - maybe he kept some of the drug. And besides, he wouldn't have destroyed the stone if he needed it to live, in my opnino, knowing it won't prevent Voldemort from getting back. And there are many places where you can infere he doesn't use it. As I said.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
thranduil
Elven Warrior

The only explanation i can think of is that flemmel was extremely old! and dumbledore was very young when they worked on the stone. But dumbledore would most likely not have acquired enough knowledge at that age to help. And Flemmel should have died already.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yes, it's not possible. I can't think of Dumbledore older than 150 years. Femmel was probably not older than than 150 years - and even in this situation Dumbledore would have to be about 200 years older so that he could help.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

Maybe Dumbledore went back in time and helped him make it. It's possible.
Or maybe there are other techniques available for prolonging life that Flamel had used prior to their collaboration. And I don't doubt that Dumbledore could have achieved that at a rather early age considering what has been said about his early wizarding abilities.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
Maybe Dumbledore went back in time and helped him make it. It's possible.
Or maybe there are other techniques available for prolonging life that Flamel had used prior to their collaboration. And I don't doubt that Dumbledore could have achieved that at a rather early age considering what has been said about his early wizarding abilities.
The best guess is that untill he created the philosophers stone he had been using other means for prolonging his life. I doubt he would have reason to go back in time to help create it. And i doubt you can go back in time that far other wise voldemort could have been stopped many times. yes dumbledore may have been able to contribute to the creation of the stone in his younger years. but flemmel would still have been what 350 to 450 years old already.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain

It says in the first book exacly how old Flammel was and I think he was nearing 500.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #10
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
It says in the first book exacly how old Flammel was and I think he was nearing 500.
We know that, that's what all the discussion is about.

I agree with Thranduil about going back in time - I don't think he could go back 300 years in time.
Yes, the only sensible option is Flamel having other methods to keep his life; but why would he that? I mean... if death to Flamel is only an adventure. ("To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.") I don't think he believed he's going to make the Philosoffer's Stone when he was 90 years old.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain

If he had other ways of sustaining his life then why make the Philosephers Stone.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #12
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
If he had other ways of sustaining his life then why make the Philosephers Stone.
As I understand it, he didn't make the Philosopher's Stone only to make his life long. Trying to make the philosopher's stone was a challenge. And it also made gold.
Besdies, i don't think there's something that can give you life forever.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:40 PM   #13
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
As I understand it, he didn't make the Philosopher's Stone only to make his life long. Trying to make the philosopher's stone was a challenge. And it also made gold.
Besdies, i don't think there's something that can give you life forever.
I agree it was more of a challenge for the alchemist. But two possibilities jk screwed up, or he was using other means to sustain his life. but if he was using other means to sustain life then wouldnt other people know about it and use it as well. i mean who wouldnt want to live a little longer. Unless he invented these "other means" and kept them to himself. But then why would he come out and show everyone that he made the sorcerers stone. Why not just keep it a secret like his "other means" of sustaining life?
Old 09-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe Flemel had been experimenting with various ways to lengthen your life, which led him to make the Philosopher's Stone?

(I have a beef with the American version. For some reason, in the title is changed from Philolophers to Sorcerers. It is not the fault of any reader who quotes it, but actually, the Sorcerers stone isn't anything. The Philosopher's Stone is the legendary stone that could be used to lengthen life, and turn lead into gold. It was the stone coveted by alchemists. I think it makes more sense to keep the title the way it was, it's more connected to legend that way, rather than a random magical stone.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #15
azalea
Long lost mooter

Did it explicitly say in PS/SS that Nick Flamel is a wizard? I can't remember. (If not, maybe he's not a wizard, but another being that has a longer life span.)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote