Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Questions about Harry Potter

...that I don't think they deserve their own thread.

As I had nothing to do in the time when my computer didn't work,. I decided to read the books again. And I found many questions... that are unexplained in the books. I'll start with a few:

In the third book, Harry almost killed Black. He threatened him with his wand - but how would he kill him, with a magic? Did he know any magics that kill? Did he have the power to kill someone?

Another question - Why didn;t someone just do the Avada Cadabra spell on Voldemort? Why was it so hard to kill him?

And: How come the tests of a few 'new subjects' were in the same time as old ones? Couldn't someone chose whatever he wanted? How, then, did the tests in Hermione's board were on the same time?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Re: Questions about Harry Potter

Good idea for a thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
In the third book, Harry almost killed Black. He threatened him with his wand - but how would he kill him, with a magic? Did he know any magics that kill? Did he have the power to kill someone?
I think it says in the book that Harry didn't know how he was going to kill Black, he was just so angry that he wanted to hurt him somehow. (Something like "for a moment Harry forgot he was a 13-year-old wizard and Black was a full-grown man", he just wanted to cause as much pain as possible.)

As for your second question, that may be the whole key to the books that we haven't found out yet
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Another question - Why didn;t someone just do the Avada Cadabra spell on Voldemort? Why was it so hard to kill him?
Well, in the first instance, not many people were as powerful as Moldy Voldy, in fact, IIRC, only Dumbledore posed a threat to him. In the second instance, if that was performed, then the caster of the spell would be reduced to Voldy's level, because, you know, that would be an unconscionable thing to do, EVEN on Voldemort.

Welcome back Radagast.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Re: Re: Questions about Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Well, in the first instance, not many people were as powerful as Moldy Voldy, in fact, IIRC, only Dumbledore posed a threat to him. In the second instance, if that was performed, then the caster of the spell would be reduced to Voldy's level, because, you know, that would be an unconscionable thing to do, EVEN on Voldemort.

Welcome back Radagast.
But in the 4th book, I don't remember who, I tihnk Sirius, says that the people-who-captures-Death-Eaters (which I can't rmember their name in English) were allowed to use these spells. And used them.

Thanks, BoP.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have a newbie type question -- what house was Hagrid in before he got expelled? I remember he said something like "Some people say the Hufflepuffs are a bunch o' duffers, but they seem to be okay to me" or something like that (I don't know exactly what a duffer is, but it's obviously not good). That would be the house I think he would seem to fit in, but I guess that only leaves Gryffindor.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #6
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I have a feeling he was in Gryffindor, though I'm not sure why. Perhaps because JKR seems to put all the good people in Gryffindor, though I agree he would fit well in Hufflepuff.

Duffer just means a stupid person, but not in a really bad way. Someone a bit slow and awkward (like the Duffers in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader").
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Probably, yes. He doesn't say in the books - but as you said, you can understand he was either in Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. And Gryffindor seems to fit better.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #8
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Voldemort was trying so hard to be immortal, some of it worked, because in a way, Avada Kedavra was cast on him, when it bounced off Harry as a baby, and he still survived. But what BoP said is also part of it, I think.
Quote:
But in the 4th book, I don't remember who, I tihnk Sirius, says that the people-who-captures-Death-Eaters (which I can't rmember their name in English) were allowed to use these spells. And used them.
They're Aurors . They did use them, but not everyone liked it. And they were only allowed to use them because Barty Crouch is obbsessed with getting rid of DE's by any means possible.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by sirigorn
Voldemort was trying so hard to be immortal, some of it worked, because in a way, Avada Kedavra was cast on him, when it bounced off Harry as a baby, and he still survived. But what BoP said is also part of it, I think.
Yes, but it still made damage. And no one else seem to cast it on him before.

Quote:

They're Aurors . They did use them, but not everyone liked it. And they were only allowed to use them because Barty Crouch is obbsessed with getting rid of DE's by any means possible.

~Siri~
Yeah, them. I remembered the name in Hebrew, they translated it somhow to 'Hilai', which has no meaning in hebrew.
Even, if they didn't like it, why didn't they use it when they saw Voldemort? To get rid of the worst wizard in the world?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:03 PM   #10
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, them. I remembered the name in Hebrew, they translated it somhow to 'Hilai', which has no meaning in hebrew.
Even, if they didn't like it, why didn't they use it when they saw Voldemort? To get rid of the worst wizard in the world?
'Auror' has no meaning in English. I looked it up in the dictionary. The closest thing was 'aurora' which means 'the dawn'.
I think part of it was what BoP said, that they didn't want to sink to his level. And they knew the Killing Curse hadn't worked before. I don't know...

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 07-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The killing curse did work. It didn't kill him - but stopped him, he couldn't do anything that way.

Question - How did the founders of Hogwarts sorted the students themselves? Did they went into their heads like the Sorting Hat?
Old 07-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #12
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Well, when I say the Killing Curse didn't work, I mean that it didn't kill him, because that's what the killing curse is supposed to, right?

I have no idea about the Founders. I've always wondered that myself.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 07-03-2004, 01:31 PM   #13
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, when I say the Killing Curse didn't work, I mean that it didn't kill him, because that's what the killing curse is supposed to, right?
I suppose. But they didn't know it wouldn't kill him, besides, if this didn't work what would?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:17 AM   #14
kiddstodd
Hobbit

Quote:
How come the tests of a few 'new subjects' were in the same time as old ones? Couldn't someone chose whatever he wanted? How, then, did the tests in Hermione's board were on the same time? [/B]
Good point that always made me wonder to so hemione wouldnt be the only student taking 2 exams at once
Old 07-05-2004, 03:38 PM   #15
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
'Auror' has no meaning in English. I looked it up in the dictionary.
It comes from Latin, as pretty much every wizarding spell does. The root 'aur' refers to 'gold', sometimes 'light'.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:51 PM   #16
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Thanks! I knew it has some meaning, I'm sure it didn't just appear in JKR's head, like one of those cartoon light bulbs. And then 'aurora' makes sense according to that also.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 07-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #17
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Pretty much every name she uses has some interesting meaning.

I think Voldemort is too strong for most people's curses to have much effect. Also, remember Barty-Mad-Eye saying that all the students could cast Avada K. on him right then and he probably wouldn't get a nosebleed--you have to have strength and power for it to work. Probably not many people have the power to Avada Kedavra Voldemort (although I bet Harry will later on...).

The Founders are interesting...I wonder, if they didn't go inside their heads (I hope they didn't, that's a little creepy)...what happens when they pick someone they think is one way who turns out to be totally different and should be in another house? Oooh. So cool.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
Pretty much every name she uses has some interesting meaning.

I think Voldemort is too strong for most people's curses to have much effect. Also, remember Barty-Mad-Eye saying that all the students could cast Avada K. on him right then and he probably wouldn't get a nosebleed--you have to have strength and power for it to work. Probably not many people have the power to Avada Kedavra Voldemort (although I bet Harry will later on...).

The Founders are interesting...I wonder, if they didn't go inside their heads (I hope they didn't, that's a little creepy)...what happens when they pick someone they think is one way who turns out to be totally different and should be in another house? Oooh. So cool.
I understnad that the students are too weak - but if Crouch could do the curse, why can't the average Auror? Or do you mean that different people require different amount of power, for the curse to work? Aurors suppose to be very good in magic though...
Old 07-14-2004, 07:59 PM   #19
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I think what I meant was that even an Auror couldn't do the curse and have it work against Voldemort. Because he's all...ya know, weird and stuff.
But it's all theories anyway. Maybe Harry's the only one who can Avada K him beacause of their weird connections (see the wands, etc).

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Aside from the fact the if anyone just AK'ed Voldy it would mean the end of the books... ...hasn't he done all weird immortality spells on himself. And he drank that unicorn blood and things so perhaps the regular AK won't work on him any more. But Harry is connected to him, and so if they are that closely connected Harry can pass the spells and stuff he's done and kill him. Might kill Harry too of course...

Anyway, does anyone know...Is the room where the mirror of Erised was in book 1 the room of requirement?

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote