Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Was it just me or did the dementors seem very ringwraithesq?
Wel I stated to someone that the way the Dementors were portrayed is the way the Ringwraiths in the sucky Lord of the Rings movies should have been portrayed. More pyschologically terrifying - than physical. When the lake froze or when the ice was shown forming on things - I noticed many people cringing and hiding. In the lord of the Rings - I saw none of that reaction toward the Ringwraiths.

Quote:

They went to a few classes, but no changing seasons, only one quidditch game, no mention of exams OR the end of the school year.
There were changing seasons - short ones. The tree would brush off the leaves or snow - Hedwig was used to introduced winter.

I think there are problems with the movies - but nothing compared to the attrocities committed in Lord of the Rings.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I liked the Ringwraiths in LOTR. I thought they did a good job on those. Big, scary, don't mess with me kind of thing. But the way the demndy-whats-its were done they looked kind of...hollow or that there was nothing on under there hoods. Oh, and I have something I don't like about the demndy-whats-its, why did they nearly suck Sirius soul out? I'm also confused about how they managed to do this wihtout lowering there hoods. And why did Sirius astop breathing when they took his soul out? You don't die...oyu just are. IF that makes any sense.
I said before that I didn't like the scene between Harry and Siruis when Sirius is about to escape becasue I didn't think it portaryed there relationship very well...well I still think that of it but it they do the other movies with he and Harry having the same kind of relationship then it'll be okay. It was touching and that scene is the only scene (besides Hermione hitting Malfoy) that I really almost liked.
And why has Malfoy suddenly turned into a snivleing little brat? He was always mean and never very nice nor did he have a butt load of courage but he was never a wimpering little wuss. Just htought I'd that.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
Rhëtit
Sapling

Werewolf

I absolutly HATED the way that they portrayed the werewolf. In the book, they tell the differences between the actual wolf and the werewolf and nowhere does it mention that the werewolf was bipedal. I thought it was completly ridiculous. Another thing, they most certainly did not explain the animagus thing well enough. This was a movie for people who've already read the book. If you hadn't read it, you wouldn't know what the hell was going on. Plus, WHERE WAS SEAN BIGGERSTAFF??? Where were the quidditch games? There aren't going to be any in the next movie because of the Triwizard Tournament, so we should have been able to stare at Oliver Wood as much as possib-er, I mean, watched the riveting sport of quidditch as much as possible.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Heh! Enough complaints....I beginning to look forward to "the show"! At least I can rest easy tonight, knowing it isn't as HORRIBLE as the LoTR "atrocities" heh!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Fimbrethil

No, it wasn't as horrible as the stuff PJ did to LOTR but that is not enough complaining! I will always hate that movie. And I will never stop compalining about it. Besides no one's answered my question.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
I liked the Ringwraiths in LOTR. I thought they did a good job on those. Big, scary, don't mess with me kind of thing.
They weren't supposed to be big and scary in that way - they were supposed to be pyschologically terrifying. Where you cring before you even know they are there. The movies never gave you that feeling at all - unlike the dementors at least or Jaws.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

what was your question?

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
And why has Malfoy suddenly turned into a snivleing little brat? He was always mean and never very nice nor did he have a butt load of courage but he was never a wimpering little wuss. Just htought I'd that.
I don't get that either - he ne would never have cried or looked weak in front of his cronies. I just don't get what they did to Malfoy's character in there.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
what was your question?
I think it was who he should replace Lurtz with on the "Vs" thread - since I complained he was included - when he isn't a character from the book. I haven't been able to think of BOOK charater to go against Draco though.

I just came up with one - Sandyman.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-07-2004, 03:48 AM   #10
Treehobbit
Hobbit

It was pretty bad! I mean the first two were way better. Dudes, ya know Peter Jackson needs to direct these movies?

A very wise man once said, "I am very wise."

Check out cool stuff at: http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Treehobbit
Treehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I saw it a second time and now I rememer the quick season changes - and when it is snowing in the movie he knocks over a bunch of christmas carolers.

But still, the quick changing seasons do not really fit well into the story.

At the beginning of the year there is the boggart and lupin saying "well i guess ill have to teach you" and then AFTER the snow - which would be months later is harry getting his first lesson from him.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:36 PM   #12
parker1cincy
Sapling

Harry Potter

I liked it however I felt it was very rused in the middle and they didn't get all the much needed information that's in the books.
parker1cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:08 PM   #13
Fimbrethil

You know, Harry knocking over all those carolers and leaving feet prints(?) would have casue a mass panic. Everyone would have thought it was Sirius.
Where is Ron's new cutesy owl? I liked him.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

His owl reminded me of that kid that was always taking the pictures...Creevey? Both bumbling over acheivers...and cute.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:14 AM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I must buy this soundtrack. I love the music for the Knight Bus, which someone described as a "schizophrenic Cantina Band". The soft theme that is most noticeable when Lupin is talking to Harry on the bridge is gorgeous in an "Across the Stars" way with a hint of "Braveheart" due to the instrumentation. The music in the Renaissance style is brilliant. One of the great things is the wide variety of genres and styles present. And Williams doesn't beat you over the head with what is the most recognizable Harry Potter theme, which is a good thing. Oh yeah, his setting Macbeth to music is great. Anyway, carry on about the evils of the movie. I just had to get that out of my system.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
parker1cincy
Sapling

Did you know?

Did you know that on the DVD of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban don't expect many deleted scenes (according to Entertainment Weekly). It says that at 2 hours, 21 minutes, Azkaban is the shortest Potter flick yet, despite springing from the longest book of the three-and the cutting happened before a frame of film was shot.
parker1cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:40 PM   #17
Fimbrethil

I will be getting the soudtrack too. I liked the music and that was a very good thing they did with it.
I'm still confused about the shrunken heads though.
What do expect from a movie that cuts out half of the information in the book?

Old 06-09-2004, 08:39 AM   #18
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
They weren't supposed to be big and scary in that way - they were supposed to be pyschologically terrifying. Where you cring before you even know they are there. The movies never gave you that feeling at all - unlike the dementors at least or Jaws.
I disagree, the psychological aspect of the Ringwraiths was portrayed in the movies, frodo wasnt constipated that was fear i loved the way the Ringwraiths were portrayed, they were leaders aswell they didnt just ride around M-e looking for people to mind ****...
im going to see it tommorrer (yes backwards australia is finally getting it ) im really interested with what this new director will be like, and with a name like Alfonso im expecting a triumph... personally while i have only seen a couple of (un-enticing) pictures of Lupin, i think Gary Oldman as Sirius looks awesome, he has acting ability hopefully it works
Old 06-09-2004, 11:44 AM   #19
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I saw it at the weekend. It's my favourite of the three so far (though that might be down to being aff ma pus when I saw it).

The bus was great, and the time thing worked really nicely. They didn't try to overdo it.

Nice, seamless transition to Michael Gambon as Dumbledore

On the down side:
- The kids' acting remains pretty dire, especially Ron. He makes the Double Deckers seem like Richardson and Gielgud. Hermione's probably the best.
- The transition from "Sirius the baddie" to "Sirius the surrogate parent" was clumsy and nonsensical.

Other than that, jolly good fun. Even better seeing it with Dutch subtitles. Can't remember any of them, but they have different names for lots of the characters, presumably to get onomatopoeic and cultural references across.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #20
Daughter of Elros

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fimbrethil
[1)The acting in the movie sucked! Remus...okay but they could have gotten someone better. And Sirius?

what are you on!? they were brilliant! the acting was superb. Their only faults are being over the age of 40 when remus and sirius are only 33 (Snape as well) in the third book.

5) Sirius as the dog was way to small.

Is your dog a small elephant then?

13) The maurders map would have been way smaller.
yeah.

uh huh. hogwarts on an indexcard. suuuure.

14) Where the heck was Oliver!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????
This I agree on. No olly! for him I mourn

truthfully, some of your opinions are pissing me off- but your sarcasm is rather amusing.

All in all I hated it and personally if the same person directs the next movie I won't be going to see. I'd liek to know what JKR was thinking when she allowed them to release this "movie".

oh, grow up- was better than the first two under chris columbus! also- Is JKR's fav, movie (her website)

in response to the second bit- Alfonso Cuaron is a brilliant, man, but he will rather unfortunately not be directing teh fourth movie (wehich is already filming and being directed by Mike Newell. good luck to you, mr. Newell.)
Daughter of Elros is offline   Reply With Quote