Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Prisoner of Azkaban review

I just went to the 12:01am showing. Did anyone else go to that showing? In the theater - these guy went up to the front and did a wizards duel skit. It's always best to go to the 12:01am showings.

There were things I didn't like - but then the ending I thought was awesome. I felt somethings in the middle were rushed too much and then they didn't have much about the Devinations teacher - which was disappointing. Only her wackiness - but not how she was not really respected by anyone - not even the teachers.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I'm going tonight... my parents won't let me see a 12:01 showing of anything, no matter how much I want to. I did get the 5th book at midnight... well, to get back on topic, I can't wait til 7:30!! All the reviews I've read about it make it out to be really good, better then the first two.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I guess I'll drag my kids to see it next week or something. I'm so much more excited about reading the next book, I can't seem to get too worked up over the movie!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Prisioner of Azkabvan will be out in a week here... I don't know when I go to watch it, hopefully next week.
The trailers look promising, so I guess I'll be disappointed in the end. As usual. *sigh*
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

okay the movie as a whole was okay i guess, but i do have some major issues with it.

1. there were giraffes wandering around half the pictures on the wall, whats up with that?

2. the demenotrs were flying?! they are suppsoed to glide in a mystical way, not fly like something out of a horror movie

3. peter pedigrew was too rat like for my tastes, and i would have liked him to be a little more pitifull and more human, less rat.

4. Lupid was just plain stupid looking, and hes supposed to see a glowing orb as the balrog, not a moon and clouds, that was a little too obvious for my liking.

5. Lupin as a warewolf was even wore than Lupin as a man, it was all slimy and snake like, not at all like a wolf.

6. the dialougue wasnt that good, there were no good lines that i remember. i wish there was more talking and more explaining things.

7. the weasly twins had yellow hair! whats up with that? but i did like how they gave hairy the mauraders map.

8. the womping willow seems to have a problem with POPPING any bluebirds that get too close for comfort!

9. harry was either fainting crying or tripping every other scene. hes turning into Frodo! j/k

10. i wish there was more interaction between Harry and Sirius, and more beteen Harry, Ron and Hermione, their friendship didnt really show as much in this movie.
And more quidditch!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Mostly I liked it, and the credits were really cool...basically tied with the RotK ones.
However, I had one major problem...the werewolf was NOT a werewolf. I don't know what it was, but it looked NOTHING like a werewolf!!!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

it was ok .

i'm sorry, but it did not meet my expectations.

a good movie, but not a great one.

Too short (20 shorter than last one) - way too rushed.

They left out A TON of details and a great majority of the school year, going to hogsmeade (that was in there, but not nearly as much), quidditch - only one game!

Completely left out:
house cup
other quidditch games
introduction of seeker cho-chang (that was book 3, right?.. i dont believe she was in all other ones)

they don't explain the whole mooney, wormtail, padfoot, prongs thing

I didn't like them leaving out christmas etc and just having the broom show up suddenly at the very end and him zoom away and then end.

Many things left out, not in movie enough, or not thoroughly explained.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this film very much and i was like half alseep, but I just feel much was left out (see above post)

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #8
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Whoohoo! I just came from the theater. Well, maybe just isn't the right word... it ended two hours ago!

Well, it was good, but there were a lot of things that annoyed me.

1) BIG number one! Werewolf!Lupin. Looked like a kinda furry man hunched over. Aren't werewolves supposed to look like wolves, only with very subtle differnces? I was sooo disappointed. But eowyngirl14, I did like human!Lupin. He's poor, he's not supposed to have nice clothes or anything. But his boggart did annoy me.

2) The Shrieking Shack scene. Okay, so I realize they had to cut a lot of it out, but that was really too much. It was so rushed, even I had trouble following it, and I'm a HUGE Potter fan. There was almost no backstory.

3) The dementors do NOT fly!! They stay on the ground. I cannot begin to tell you how much that annoys me.

4) They didn't mention anything about Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot or Prongs. Other than on the Marauder's Map.

5) Harry saw "Peter Pettigrew" on the map. That is NOT
supposed to happen. Lupin is supposed to see it, not Harry.

6) Peter Pettigrew didn't look human enough to me. I'm sorry, but I did not like how he was portrayed.

7) Quidditch. What happened to the Quidditch Cup? Again, too much cutting.

8) No Christmas, no Firebolt til the end, not enough fighting about Scabbers and Crookshanks.

9) Nothing to really do with the movie itself, but when I left the theater, I found out that for two of the people I went with, one counted all the lights along the aisle, and the other fell asleep. Before the movie, he spilled his icee on my shirt. Now it is pink. Well, it's better than what it was before I washed it off (dark purple).

On a lighter note, things I liked:

1) The Marauder's map. That was sooo cool!! I loved the little footprints. And the credits were awesome.

2) The Ron/Hermione parts. I'm an avid R/Hr shipper, don't mind me.

3) The time travel. That was awesome. And I loved Ron's line when they got back: "How'd you get there, from there?"

4) The boggart (minus Lupin's). Snape looked halarious in Neville's Gran's clothes!! And the roller skating spider was priceless. And another of Ron's lines I loved (even though it has nada to do with the boggart) "The spiders!! The wanted me to tap dance!" or something to that effect.

5) Buckbeak. He was cool. Nothing much more to say.

6) Stan Shunpike, the shrunken head, and the rest of the Knight Bus scene. It was awesome! (Yes, I like that word, why do you ask?)

7) The new and improved courtyard. Better than in the first two movies. Well, actually I really liked the entire castle better.

8) Hermione beating up Malfoy. You go girl!!

9) The Dursley scene. Hehehe, Aunt Marge was a ballon!

10) Dumbledore.

11) The snowball scene, with Malfoy. I was laughing so hard!!

And all these aren't really in order, just in the order I thought of them.

Go see it, all of you who haven't!!

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 06-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well that's a little upbeat! I better read the book again, real quick!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:06 AM   #10
eowyngirl14

Quote:
3) The dementors do NOT fly!! They stay on the ground. I cannot begin to tell you how much that annoys me.
omg! this pissed me off soooooo much! everytime they flew i was like practically shouting DEMENTORS DONT FLY!!!

did anyone else notice the bothersome girrafes in all the pictures on the castle walls?

yes i love that line! 'The spiders! they want me to tap dance!'
think that is their revenge because they know in the next movie one of their kind will be put under the crusious curce and forced to tapdance by Moody??

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-05-2004, 01:15 AM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I agree - they didn't say anything about the marauder's map and who it had belonged it. It was so important to Harry because it had been his fathers - they had completely left that out.

I did not like dumbeldore. He was dumbed down. Come on - he stood there absentmindedly hitting Ron's foot. Cheap cliched laugh, however very UNLIKE Dumbledore though.

I saw i twice - so I liked it better the second time.

By the way - what is up with the pumpkins at Hagrids when it's spring time.

As I said in my first post - I thought too much of the middle of the movie was rushed over without too much explanation of important parts.

Since the next book is about twice the size - if they try to fit that into a single 2 hour 19 minute movie - there will be hardly any of the book in there.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:22 AM   #12
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I liked the movie. It did seem a bit hurried in parts though. Maybe they'll put out an Azkaban Extended Edition. The acting and casting was spot-on. The effects were great too. I loved the darker look of the movie, but I'm surprised that they got away with a PG rating on this movie -- some of that stuff was pretty freaky. I'll be really surprised if they don't get a PG-13 for Goblet of Fire, considering all the stuff that goes on at the end. The music was also some of the best I've heard from John Williams in a while. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:25 AM   #13
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I did notice the giraffes. And talking about paintings, why did they change the Fat Lady? I though she was better before!!

And Dumbledore was strange. I mean, I don't think he would hit Ron's injured foot, like JD said.

The music was great, Khamul. Hehehe, I entered contest where the winners get the soundtrack. I don't think I'll win, but it would be awesome if I did. I know I got all the answers right. (It was a trivia thing)

I would be very disappointed if the third didn't have a PG-13 rating. Some of that stuff in there is really scary.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 06-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
eowyngirl14

Quote:
I would be very disappointed if the third didn't have a PG-13 rating. Some of that stuff in there is really scary.
you mean the fourth? cause the third had a PG rating, i think....

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-05-2004, 12:44 PM   #15
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Yeah, that's what I meant. *blushes*

There was something else that annoyed me.... but I forgot what it was.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 06-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #16
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

saw it yesterday, and i'm generally pleased. despite the flying dementors (which were kind of dissappointing- did they look like ballons with black cheese-cloth thrown over them to anyone else?), the odd dumbledore (just not as good as richard harris, but i knew that would happen), and the love-thing going on with ron and hermione (which annoys the CRAP out of me! i didn't get that out of the books, did you? i mean, yeah, ron had a crush from afar on hermione, but they're making such a huge deal of it! ) . all in all, i thought it was better than the first two which were a little too juvenile-ish for my tastes.

and giraffes? where were they? i missed them

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #17
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

The giraffes were in the paintings. You know when the Fat Lady ran away becuaes Sirius messed up the painting? In the background, there was a giraffe moving around. I know it was there other times, but I can't remember when they were.

And yes, that is what the dementors looked like.

I liked the Ron/Hermione stuff. But that might just be becuase I think they're perfect for each other, and they have got to get together, and as I mentioned above, I'm an avid R/Hr shipper.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 06-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #18
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Let me just start off this post by saying that I love JKR's work and practically worship her for her skills as a writer. But I hated almost everything about this movie.

1)The acting in the movie sucked! Remus...okay but they could have gotten someone better. And Sirius? Not at all what I expected and I hated it. But the actors that played those two characters did the best wiht what they were offered and aren't responisble for the crapyness of the movie, it's the casitng directors fault.
2) The werewolf. Enough said.
3) The fact that in the first 5 min. of the stupid movie they covered about 6 chapters.
4) For some odd reason when Harry first sees Sirius as a dog, Sirius decides to growl at him.
5) Sirius as the dog was way to small.
6) Dementors flying....why?
7) Lupin's bogart....it made me angery.
8) The fact that they never had exams and they were NEVER even mentioned.
9)It ended (or seemed to) right smack in the middle of their third year.
10) The relationship between Sirius and Harry always seemed like brother, brother to me, but at close to the end of the movie when Harry and he were talking Sirius treats him as if he were his son and they have known and loved each other all their lives.
11) Harry didn't see Sirius at the (one and only and way to short and very inaccurate) quidditch match, he saw a badly shaped cloud. I say it was inaccurate because when Harry went up into the clouds he would have passed out from lack of oxygen way before the demedy-whats-its effected him. And before that he would have gotten a killer nose bleed form the pressure change.
12) The lake would not have frozen from the demndy-whats-its.
13) The maurders map would have been way smaller. And Harry never saw Peter's feet! (you know what I mean.)
14) Where the heck was Oliver!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????
15) The complete lack of Cho and Pig. Pig isn't all that important but, Cho Chang is a very important perosn in the next two books.
16) Yes Harry, you conjured a very pretty stag, now class, can you tell me what significance that has? No, becasue the stupid script writers thought that everyone would know.
17) Nothing was ever explained about Lupin taking his potion! Yet when he is turning into a werewolf the scirpt writers find it necsaccary to give Sirius the following line "My dear friend, Reamus, you haven't taken your potion tonight have you?"
18) Ahh, yes Harry that is a very nice new broom you have there. Didn't know that they existed did you? No, becasue you never got a chance to see them in Diagon Alley. What are they called again Dean? I didn't catch your line saying "Wow! A Firebolt! It's the fastest broom ever!" because you weren't even on screen.
19) Simply amazing the way it's explained about the three friends becoming unregistered Animangi to help the fourth friend, really informative on all the nice little sub-plots JKR had going also. Loved the informitive nature of the movie all togother really. (Please take the time to realize that that was very dry sarcasim.)
20) Certianly not last nor least, is the way Harry gets off the Hogwarts train with a letter from his convicted murderer of a Godfather and gives the Durselys this information and it's the only thing that even gives him a semblance of a life. This obviously isn't important enough to include in the movie.

They've pushed a lot of this into the Fourth movie which is going to make a hell of a long movie if they aren't careful. There were some things I did like but not enough to include them in this post. All in all I hated it and personally if the same person directs the next movie I won't be going to see. I'd liek to know what JKR was thinking when she allowed them to release this "movie".
Edit: What were the heads for? When were they ever mentioned being in the Knight Bus? And since when have shrunken heads become deacoratiosn in the Leaky Cauldron?
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"

Last edited by Fimbrethil : 06-05-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #19
Rhëtit
Sapling

Oliver Wood was the biggest blow for me, the very POINT of the Harry Potter movies is to stare at Sean Biggerstaff. The quidditch was a very important part of the book, and almost all of it was cut out. AND PLUS WE DIDN'T GET TO STARE AT SEAN BIGGERSTAFF FOR TWO HOURS!
Old 06-05-2004, 10:41 PM   #20
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Was it just me or did the dementors seem very ringwraithesq?

Also, it seemed like all the events took place over several days - not a school year.

They went to a few classes, but no changing seasons, only one quidditch game, no mention of exams OR the end of the school year.

Stupid ending.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote