Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-1999, 12:52 AM   #1
bmilder

What Star Wars CDs do you own?

The only film soundtrack that I have is TPM's. Unfortunately, it's highly edited and doesn't include the full score as I had hoped. Overall, it's pretty good though. I also have a cd that has the "best of" the classic trilogy songs. While I love soundtracks, I tend to prefer cds like these because it only has the favorites as opposed to the background music. (Background music is great too though ) In addition, I have a weird cd with "jazzed up" versions of the familiar themes. I only listened to it once, it wasn't all that interesting. Which CDs do you have? (Dukefan, if you come back I know you'll have quite a list :-))
Old 09-24-1999, 09:09 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: What Star Wars CDs do you own?

I only have TPM in CD form, which I am listening to right now.
Old 09-25-1999, 12:05 AM   #3
Ryan6233

I have them all :(

see title plz
Old 09-25-1999, 12:28 AM   #4
Dukefan

Ooh yay a chance to brag about my nearly complete SW music collection! The Star Wars Trilogy Original Soundtrack Anthology 4-CD set released in 1993. One CD for each of the original trilogy, a 4th of outakes and previously unreleased stuff from the films. Sound quality isn't as great as more recent releases, and the CDs are essentially nothing more than the original Vinyl LP record soundtracks (released way back in 77) transferred to CD and rearanged to film order. But is still good for a quick 75-minute musical narrative of each film. Also, includes Lapti Nek (Performed in Jabba's Palace) and an alternate version of "Leia Breaks the News" (from ROTJ) which are not found anywhere else. Good liner notes booklet. Star Wars: A New Hope Special Edition Original Soundtrack Limited Printing Collector's Item. Two CD set, most complete soundtrack available. Film order, remastered digital quality, cool liner notes, laser engraved CDs, and cool book-bound slim case. Thats a limited printing, now out of print. You can still get a version of it that has the same music and liner notes, but the CDs are picture discs instead and it comes in a normal jewel case....Not nearly as cool. The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition Original Soundtrack Limited Printing Pretty much the same as above, except the score is longer. The Phantom Menace Original Soundtrack Eh....Classic JW score: Brilliant, drmamatic, moving, involving, perfect. Not so good arrangment: Tracks are out of order, not nearly enough of the score, disappointing liner notes.....I really wish that they had made this more like those 2-cd sets...but alas, the guys over at Fox Classical Records felt it wasn't necesssary (apparently, neither did Williams as they claim he was responsible for the arrangment decisions)....Oh well. So as you see, My collection is nearly complete excpet for the ROTJ Limited Edition (which I _will_ get..I have methods There are various 3rd party orchestra recordings out there, but I'm not interested in those. I might get John Williams conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy The Skywalker Symphony Orchestra, as that is easy access to the official concert arrangements. And for those interested... Star Wars Episode I - The Music <A HREF=http://homes.arealcity.com/starwarsmusic/ >http://homes.arealcity.com/starwarsmusic/ </A> The Unofficial John Williams homepage <A HREF=http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwilliams/ >http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwilliams/ </A> RCA Victor's site on their great 2-cd sets for the original trilogy (lots of detailed info about them and comparing them to other releases) <A HREF=http://www.bmgclassics.com/soundtracks/starwars/index.html >http://www.bmgclassics.com/soundtrac...ars/index.html </A> To buy the 4-cd Anthology now out of print, I think) <A HREF=http://getmusic.com/DynamoRetailStation/catalog/Product.jhtml?CATID=2&PRODID=302775&GENREID=112>http://getmusic.com/DynamoRetailStat...75&GENREID=112</A>
Old 09-25-1999, 01:18 AM   #5
Darth Tater

Oh my God!

Well Dukefan that was thurough! (sp?) Wow, pretty impressive!
Old 09-26-1999, 03:50 AM   #6
Dukefan

Thank ya

Thank ya thank ya I do enjoy bragging about my Star Wars film score fanaticism . Just curious, are you sure you have them all Ryan6233? I find it somewhat hard to believe, as there are many different versions out there and lots of 3rd party releases.Or maybe I just can't accept tht someone may have a complete collection. But seriously, which do you have?
Old 09-26-1999, 05:14 AM   #7
Ryan6233

Re: Thank ya

honestly-i don't think i could list them all, and i'm too lazy too :P
Old 09-26-1999, 01:07 PM   #8
dmaul966

Re: Thank ya

the only cd i have is the special edition a new hope to cd set
Old 10-03-1999, 07:54 PM   #9
DarthNut

Re: What Star Wars Music do ya have?

I have 'em all.
Old 10-05-1999, 02:02 AM   #10
Dukefan

Call me jealous or unbbelieving, but for some reason I just don't believe people just commenting "I have em all". There are over 10 different CDs or CD sets or John Williams Star Wars score available, including Original Symphonic Suites, 3rd recordings, special edition slimline packages, special edition limited packages, and anthologies. I honestly don't think someone would take the time and money to collect every single one available.
Old 10-08-1999, 11:18 PM   #11
Dukefan

As if anyone reads this thread anymore, here's to everyone (just two) who posted "i have em all". go here: <A HREF=http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwilliams/swtrilogy.htm >http://www.classicalrecordings.com/j.../swtrilogy.htm </A> its a complete list of every star wars music recording ever publically released. i dare you two, after reading that list to TRUTHFULLY say "i have em all"
Old 10-09-1999, 01:14 AM   #12
bmilder

Hey, I still read this thread . Wow, that's an impressive list. I think when they said they had "them all" they meant the CDs for each movie. But obviously they were mistaken .
Old 10-10-1999, 04:13 PM   #13
DarthNut

I meant I have one for each film. That 4 set anthology released in 93 and TPM.
Old 10-21-1999, 10:55 PM   #14
Son of a Hutt

:)

I have the four CD set, and the TPM CD.
Old 11-04-1999, 05:37 AM   #15
Lost in Coruscant

Re: :)

I have "The Phantom Menace" soundtrack. I only have it because my birthday had been coming up when I wanted it.
Old 11-08-1999, 05:52 PM   #16
galadriel1

Re: cds

I don`t have any of them on cd. I don`t believe I`m going to admit this, but I DO have them (the first three, that is) on albums! OH, does that show my age or what? ((giggle)) Right now, they`re stil too expensive to buy on cd. Funds have just been too few the past few years. Perhaps one of these years......
Old 11-09-1999, 02:23 AM   #17
Jaro

CDs

I have the 4 CD OT score set.. the fourth cd has unreleased music and a different Main Title.. The accents and syncopation are different.. it's very interesting to listen to. I also have the TPM soundtrack.
Old 11-11-1999, 01:45 AM   #18
Dukefan

Hmm...it appears that I'm the only one looking to get the most complete collection of official recordings on CD. Most of you have the 4-CD anthology from 1993, and the TPM soundtrack. But a big piece of the music is missing from those, and they're found on the original trilogy Spec Ed 2-CD soundtracks. I don't wanna brag or anything, but without the Special Edition CDs, it's hardly a complete collection. And on a side note...If you look at my first post here, you'll see that I have both the limited pressings of the Star Wars and ESB Spec Ed soundtracks and was looking for a good price for the ROTJ one that was still new. Well, I found it. And for a really good price too....25$! (Of course, that may have something to do with the fac the I had a free 10$ gift-certificate type thing that I got from subscribing to some mailing list and waited until now to redeem....but still ) And the CD has reportedly shipped, so I'm on my way to a complete CD Star Wars collection.
Old 11-17-1999, 06:01 AM   #19
Son of the Suns I

I have: John Williams:Greatest Hits 1969-1999 Star Wars:A New Hope-Special Edition Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back-Special Edition Star Wars:Return of the Jedi-Special Edition Star Wars:The Phantom Menace I love them all and I listen to all of them very often.
Old 11-20-1999, 12:19 AM   #20
gdl96

do u guys ever listen to those cds? i listen to them very rarely, im not a super nerd who listens to this music 24 hours a day (the music is good music, dont get me wrong) i hav that one cd set, but i rarely listen to it. usually i'll just listen to koRn or blink182 or just turn on k rock radio or mtv