Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider Assasin's Shadow

It was Year 31 of the Fourth Age, Gondor reckoning. Cuamir and Colomir dodged through the forest. They held their longbows ready, and with their grey cloaks they were sheathed in darkness. Curamir heard a noise. Quietly, quickly, he nocked an arrow and aimed.
"Orc," he whispered to his brother.
Colomir slipped invisibly forward. As he drew out of sight, Curamir heard a short indrawn breath. Running forward, he stopped as he saw his brother pointing.
"Not orc," the ranger of Ithilien told Curamir. "It's a warrior!"
In front of them, a man lay on the ground. A broadsword was strapped to his back, as was an empty quiver. His gear was strange. Curamir walked up to him and exclaimed, "He's still alive!"

Initial Characters:
Curamir: Son of Faramir and expert longbowman. (rohirrimTR)
Colomir: Son of Faramir and master of stealth. (Still open)
Curmaar: A mysterious warrior from the South (me).
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)

Last edited by Curubethion : 09-16-2005 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Date change
Old 08-24-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Curubethion

Notes

I will not write any exit scenes for your character. If you want to leave, PLEASE kill off your character or otherwise remove him/her from the story. Thanks!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 08-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Curubethion

Strider Under Attack!

"Curamir!" shouted Colomir.
His brother turned, in time to see something fall in front of him! An ugly creature lay before the ranger, transfixed by one of Colomir's swift arrows. It was dressed in primitive armor, and bore a crude sword. The bowman slightly recoiled from the thing.
Colomir asked, slipping closer, "What is it? It was trying to pounce on you."
"I'm not sure. It looks like a goblin, but it's too tall. Furthermore, why would a goblin be here?"
"I don't know. There is a feel of shadow and darkness to this. This creature...what was it doing?"
"We might still find out. Look out behind you!"
The two brothers turned. Twenty creatures like the dead prowler were dropping from the trees, blades in hand!
"I'll circle behind them...can you stay alive?" asked Colomir.
"Yes. Be swift."
Curamir drew his sword.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Several fell before Colomir could draw his bow. The creatures now seemed confused, not knowing who to attack. Curamir cut down several more in their confusion while Colomir's arrows found their marks. The creatures that were left ran into the trees. The brothers could here sword against sword, and a cry of "Elendil!" and then slience. Colomir and Curamir looked at each other, then crept toward where they had last heard cries. They saw a figure thrust its sword into the last creature as it lay on the ground at its feet.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 08-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Curubethion

Strider

"Be you friend who calls with the name of Elendil?" called Curamir.
"Shhh! Move quietly!" replied the figure. "There may be more around!"
"We found someone back there...not dead, though. We must take him to the Window on the West."
"Let me lead you. I know this forest as if it were my home. We must hurry!"
"Who are you?"
"One who will be your friend."
The figure stepped out of the shadows, pulling back a hood.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Acalewia

It was a she-elf, wearing a grey cloak that caused her to blend in with her suroundings.

"We must get him help quickly. Come, we must hurry," the man groaned as she lifted him into a sitting positon. Cumamir bore him on his shoulders. The she-elf drew her sword and motioned for them to follow her

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
Curubethion

Strider

Darting through Ithilien like sprites, the four figures were almost unseen. The elf's sword, drawn, gave the Rangers something to follow. Otherwise, she was totally invisible because of her cloak. Colomir was also as well cameoflaged. He brought up the rear, scanning the silver trees for the bizarre goblins. At last, the elf stopped. The travelers were in front of a tree, with a boulder behind it.
"Here is an elf hideout," she told the brothers. "There is a cave behind that tree, inside the boulder. Get in first. I hear something."
Colomir and Curamir slid the unconscious man in, and then entered the cave. It was fairly dark, lit by patches of daylight. Soon afterwards, the elf came in.
"They are coming," she whispered. "Stay silent."
Faramir's sons heard swift footfalls and goblin-shrieks. Shadows passed over the puddles of light in the cave, and Colomir, Curamir, and the elf waited, completely still. Then, all was silent.
"Let me see what I can do for him," whispered the elf.
She pulled back his collar to show a gash near the warrior's neck. Slowly, she cleaned it with herbs, and he began to stir.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
Acalewia

"Lesto bethno. Melloc. Open your eyes. You are among friends. Lesto bethno," she wispered, bent close to his ear. She pushed a strand of golden-brown hair out of the way. She then said something so low the brothers could not hear. The wounded man's eyes slowly opened. The elf looked at the brothers. "He is lucky you arrived when you did. They would have finished him off"

Last edited by Acalewia : 08-29-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
Acalewia

"You were there as well," Colomir said. The elf shook her head.
"I arrived afterward. We must make our way to the Window on the West. This will be hard, Sons of Framir, for these creatures do not fear daylight"
She went to the entrence of the cave. Curumir studied her. Who is this elf who knows who our father is? he wondered. She was dressed in the garb of Mirkwood, yet she acted like a Ranger.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
Curubethion

Strider

"Who are you?" the stranger asked Colomir. "Where is the Assasin?"
Colomir replied, "You are in the hands of friends. What is your name...who is the Assasin?"
"I...am Curmaar Hardaari...I am a corsar."
"A corsair? Chased by goblins?"
"No...a corsar...I can fight without a blade..."
"I have never heard of that. Who is the Assasin?"
"The Assasin...he has pursued me for countless days...over many miles..."
"Were those goblins his?"
"I do not know. I have seen him but once. He hides in shadow...a wraith, some say...but I know he is a man..."
Colomir decided not to question further. Curmaar's eyes were beginning to dart back and forth. He was searching for an unseen menace.
Colomir asked, "Can you walk?"
"Yes...they did not hurt my legs."
"Good. There is an elf...she shall lead us to the Window on the West."
The elf looked out, her ears listening for the slightest sounds.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:21 AM   #11
Acalewia

The elf stepped out. A moment later, she returned.
"I cannot hear or see them. We must move swiftly. The Window is not far. Quickly!" The brothers and Curmaar followed. "Keep him close. Do not let him stray even slightly" They soon came to the entrence. The elf stopped.
"Get in! Quickly!" She had drawn an arrow and placed in the bow. She then shot it into a nearby tree. There was a shreak and a goblin crashed out of the tree, dead. The elf then followed the men into the entrence.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
Curubethion

Strider

Curmaar followed the brothers to behind a waterfall. The setting sun shone, like a ball of flaming glory, sending sparks of water shimmering down. The corsar stood, amazed, at the sight. Curamir smiled.
"It is indeed wonderful," he told the man. "They say that many years ago, in the great War of the Ring, my father took the Ringbearer Frodo to this very spot. When I stand here, it is almost like looking at Gondor's ancient glory."
Curmaar shook his head, saying, "I seldom look at such things of wonder. In the South, it is a very different life."
"Tell us about it, my friend," said the elf, "and I will also tell you about myself."
The Ranger and the warrior followed her to an inner cavern. They sat down at a bench, and Curmaar stood and turned to face all of them. He began his narration with sweeping gestures and movements, in the tradition of the South.
"I am a warrior of the South," he began, "born to a man who had fled from Sauron's darkness in the War. When I was a young man, I came home to find my parents dead, an arrow in each of them. Its feathers were black and grey; the work of one they name The Assasin. He was the hired pawn of the tribe chieftan, but I suspect he is doing darker work. Perhaps there is a great danger to Gondor itself."
All was silent. Curmaar sat down, and the elf rose.
"Now," she said, "I shall tell you of whence I am come and why I have come."

Last edited by Curubethion : 09-03-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #13
Acalewia

" First I shall tell you my name. I am Acalewia, although your father knows me under a different guise. I come from the north, where The Assasin also works. He has bred fear in the north. Mothers and wives mourn their slain children and husbands. These creatures are his minions. I was among a group of Rangers going to Rivendell when we were attacked by these creatures. None escaped unscathed and few survived. I have tracked them from Mirkwood to Gondor. I know he is mortal, and I plan on ending his reign of fear." The brothers and Curmaar could see the fire in her eyes. "I fought in the War of the Ring and I will fight against The Assasin,"

Old 09-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #14
Curubethion

Strider

"What shall we do next, Acalewia?" Colomir asked. "Do we go to the south, where Curmaar's parents were killed? Do we go to the North, where the Assasin's terror reaches farthest?"
"Where is he, though?" Curamir wondered. "His goblins were here, but where is he-and what is he planning?"
"Not even I know that," the elf replied, "but I have a few guesses."
"So what do you think we should do?" asked Curmaar.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #15
Acalewia

"For one, you need to rest, Curmaar. For another, Framir should know about the threat, if he doesn't already. I do not know where we should go, but I believe The Assasin sent his minions to the north to do his bidding for him while he remains in the south. I also believe that he is trying to kill any and every Ranger he can find, which puts all of us in danger" Acalewia turned to Colomir "Is your father here now?"

Old 09-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #16
Curubethion

Strider

"He is back at Osgiliath," replied the Ithilien ranger. "It is a far road."
"I will go and warn him, Acalewia," Curamir offered. "You need to stay with Curmaar."
"Well, then...go, and be swift. May Iluvatar speed you," the elf replied.
Curamir went off to pack, and then shortly left the cave. Colomir looked at Acalewia.
"Now what do we do?" he asked.
She replied, "We should both guard Curmaar, until Curamir returns. Maybe then Faramir will know what to do."
"That seems rational. We will stay in watches, one guarding the entrance and one sleeping. Curmaar, of course, will stay inside."
"We shall do that, then. I take first watch."
She posted herself next to the winding entrance, watching. She caught a glimpse of Curamir slipping through the woods, and then he vanished from sight. The elf waited.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #17
Acalewia

Strider

Hours later, Colomir appeared to relieve her.
"Keep a watchful eye. I haven't heard or seen anything since your brother's departure, but that doesn't mean your watch will be peacful."
"I understand. Curmaar was asleep when I left him," Acalewia touched his shoulder.
"I'll relieve you in a few hours," She returned to where Curmaar slept.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #18
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

As Curamir slipped out of the cave he immediately noticed how quiet, and still the wood's were; it was unnatural to him, and made him uncomfortable as he swiftly moved along the forest floor. Because it was two days journey to Osgiliath he decided to stop for the night at a small ranger outpost, that lay just off the crossroads but when he stopped outside the perimeter expecting a challenge, he heard nothing... he went further in finding the camoflouaged hut that the rangers kept supplys in; drawing his sword as he entered he found a dead man face down, his body hewn in many places and sticking through his back a lance with markings of the harad on the grip, and as he pulled it out, he found, on the of the tip of it, though stained with blood, the black and grey feather markings of the assasin. There is no time to spare Curamir thought to himself i will care for the fallen ranger and go on, as he turned the fallen ranger over his heart was grieved for it was Bergil one of the most loyal and valiant men of Ithilien, and even more dearly beloved because he had been like a older brother to Colamir and Curamir in their youth; He will be avenged ten times for his death Curamir promised himself. After putting Bergils gear in order he burned the hut and sped on his way to Osgiliath wounded in heart and fell of face.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 09-10-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #19
Curubethion

Strider

"A fell feeling is in the wind," Colomir whispered to himself. "Evil stirs abroad...death has come. Where is Gondor's valor?"
He heard a trilling birdcall. It echoed from the stones of Henneth Annun, and fled through the trees of Ithilien. The call came again.
That call...is strange, thought the cloaked ranger.
He heard a scream behind him! Turning, he saw Curmaar, sitting up, eyes wild with fear. He took a step towards the warrior.
"What is it?" asked Colomir.
"The Assasin's call!" whispered Curmaar, terrified!
Acalewia and Colomir whipped towards the cave's entrance. It was empty. A shrieking din rose from below! Colomir ran to the waterfall, and looked down.
"Goblins in the Forbidden Pool!" he shouted.
Acalewia replied, "Swiftly, we must attack! For to enter the Forbidden Pool, it is said, bears the penalty of death!"
Old 09-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #20
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Curamirs mind ran swiftly as he crept through the forest, he was sure he was being followed; but whoever it was must have had the woodcraft of the elves, for surely he could not get a good look at what it was. After doubleing back several times and going through the thickest part of the woods he no longer felt he was being watched and continued on to Osgiliath

When he reached the city, late that night, he was greeted by Elegost captain of his fathers guards " Hail Curamir" he said "you and your brother were not expected for another fortnight, ahh but you look wearied, go get some refreshment and I shall make your prescence known to your father"
NO! commanded Curamir "there is no time, Bergil has been slain by an assasin and my brother and an elf wait for me an Henneth Annun with a wounded man, even now they might be overrun by goblins, get whatever men we have we must go to their aid, I will report to my father. "Aye my lord" replied Elegost "at once".

When Curamir had finished relating his tale Faramir looked at him sharply "A she elf you say? and what was her name"?. "She bid me to say if you were to ask such a thing that he name was Eruanna" replied Curamir " why? Do you know her"? " I did once, long ago, ahh that was in the past and we have no time for old tales" Faramir said slowly. "First I must send a messenger to the King, he needs to know of this."Second we will go to the aid of your companions and avenge Bergils death if we may".

In the dark before dawn the party of Faramir's rangers silently made their way out of Osgiliath, to the window in the west.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 09-10-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Closed Thread