Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2004, 01:19 PM   #81
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Looks like it'll be a LOOOOoong season in Chicago! The Bears are 1-2. The good news is we finally beat Green Bay!!! The bad news is, that game and the following week we lost our top two defensive backs and top linebacker... then the next week, our promising second year quarterback went down scoring a touchdown (we were coming back and could have crawled out of a shallow hole - but had dug ourselves a very deep one - and lost 27-22 to the Vikes)... turns out HE will now be out the rest of the year!!

They were hard to figure even with everyone healthy. Week 1 we lost at home to the league's perpetual road door-mat (Detroit) - then Week 2 we won at the road against the team that's always had our number.

Now THIS week we play the Eagles... and THEY are HOT!!! I think there's some prophecy in scripture about when the Eagle fights the Bear or something... though I doubt it was in reference to this game - but I couldn't find it yet.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 PM   #82
Valandil

Well - even with a shaky offense, the Bears managed to put together a three-game win streak against other struggling teams with some monster defense. Yesterday's game vs Indianapolis ended the streak and provided a needed dose of reality.

Thursday, the Bears get a rare Thanksgiving game! That'll be nice. I guess Detroit and Dallas host one each year and the Bears are on the Cowboy's schedule for that this week.

Only a few very strong teams in the NFC this year (I keep waiting to see a conference winner with a sub-.500 record - like 7-9... THAT will tick some people off! ). The AFC has a bit more competition. One intriguing SuperBowl matchup might be the two Pennsylvania teams... The Pittsburg Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 11-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #83
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
One intriguing SuperBowl matchup might be the two Pennsylvania teams... The Pittsburg Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles!!
I think we are looking at Indy vs. Philly at this point. Yes I know NE and Pitt are the trendy teams to pick at this point and have less losses but I just think Peyton is in another stratosphere and you are certainly looking at the true establishment of a quarterback that will carry his team for years to come in a way we havent seen since Joe Montana. And thats what wins championships. Good leadership. New England is great and Pittsburgh is great but I think Peyton will come through when it counts. Hes on pace for like 58 touchdowns this year!! Hes already a lock for the hall of fame. But WOW those AFC playoff games should be something. Talk about clash of the titans.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:31 PM   #84
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
... But WOW those AFC playoff games should be something. Talk about clash of the titans.
Yeah - with or WITHOUT the actual Titans!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-26-2004, 01:43 PM   #85
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Rest in Peace Reggie White... For his deeds both on and off the football field.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #86
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So no predictions for this weekends games? Im thinking all the home teams should have their way. Although perhaps the Rams could come away with a win against the seahawks. Seattle just doesnt impress me at all. They seem too soft.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:31 AM   #87
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Seattle IS soft. So are the Rams. Should be an interesting game. See if the Hawks can actually play all 4 quarters.

Chargers-Jets interest me. Will we see the Jets of Week 16 or 15? (or 17, which was somewhere between?)
Old 01-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #88
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

All I have to say is that my voodoo doll that I bought for the traitorous Giants last year is still at optimum performance.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #89
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Good call on the upsets Count. Lets see if Indy and Philly end up on a collision course like Im thinking they will.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #90
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

So, no shock for Colts... but the VIKINGS? WHAAAAAAAAA?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #91
Valandil

Well - with the top four seeds all staying alive and advancing, it looks like we're set up for a couple solid conference championships this weekend and maybe a good Superbowl (though one never knows).

I had to wonder if Indy would finally pull it off in Boston. I just don't think they ever had that solid a defense. And a passing game has its limitations... particularly cold weather. If you're going to rely that much on the pass, you gotta play in an indoor stadium (which Indy does - at home) - and win home-field advantage throughout the playoffs (which Indy didn't, of course).

Still - Manning had one heck of a year - and did all he could be expected to do.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 01-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #92
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I was surprised though. Manning was better then ever. New England's defense was more depleted then they were last year (Ty Law gone). And they werent allowed to mug the recieves this year and yet they STILL cant score a touchdown! And this is a team that scores at will against ANY other defense in the league. And its not like they dont have a great running back either. So I dont get it. I guess New Englad just has their number.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:33 PM   #93
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

main thing that hit me about that game was dropped passes by indy receivers... it seemed like there were quite a few... if i were coach, and ended up in the same or similar situation (say pittsburgh)... i would seriously consider holding at least one, if not two, practices outdoors during the winter weather

of 'course, i'd rather see the pats keep winning
Old 01-20-2005, 03:05 PM   #94
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
All I have to say is that my voodoo doll that I bought for the traitorous Giants last year is still at optimum performance.
Isn't that a New Jersey team? Fine, ruin one of the few things I know about football...

I've got a mini-beef, even though it applies to all sports played in the USA IIRC...

Why are the best players (aka all-star team) called All-American? Isn't everyone on the team already American? It just seems... I dunno, not sporty...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #95
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Isn't that a New Jersey team? Fine, ruin one of the few things I know about football...

I've got a mini-beef, even though it applies to all sports played in the USA IIRC...

Why are the best players (aka all-star team) called All-American? Isn't everyone on the team already American? It just seems... I dunno, not sporty...
The Giants are a New York team that plays their home games in New Jersey.

As for All-American, it is not a term used in professional sports; there it is called All-Pro. A college or high school player is called All-American because they have been chosen out of the entire country (i.e. out of All of America). That makes it more prestigious than being All-Conference, All-Division, or All-State. I suppose the term is All-American because it sounds better than All-Nation or All-Country.

Last edited by olsonm : 01-20-2005 at 03:39 PM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #96
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
I would just like too say this and jerseydevil will probably hate me for this but... even though I live in NJ... GO STEELERS!! they are going to go all the way, they are going to beat the Pats and win it all!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #97
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonm
The Giants are a New York team that plays their home games in New Jersey.

As for All-American, it is not a term used in professional sports; there it is called All-Pro. A college or high school player is called All-American because they have been chosen out of the entire country (i.e. out of All of America). That makes it more prestigious than being All-Conference, All-Division, or All-State. I suppose the term is All-American because it sounds better than All-Nation or All-Country.
Aha! Thanks for shedding some light on that one...

Or... are the Giants a New Jersey team that says it's from New York..?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #98
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Or... are the Giants a New Jersey team that says it's from New York..?
The Giants played in New York for decades but moved to NJ sometime in the 1970's (I believe). Their stadium is only just across the border and you can see New York City from the site. The Giants and the New York Jets (who play in the same stadium in NJ!) are still considered New York teams. It is confusing though.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:22 AM   #99
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

That's why JD hates them -- because they play their home games in New Jersey, yet are considered New York teams.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #100
Mercutio

Well its the NE Patriots v. Philly Eagles.

You should've seen Eagles' Frenzy around here. That's the only thing on tv, radio, and newspaper the past few weeks. Today's front page & major headlines of the Philadelphia Inquirer were about the game. There have been special sections completely on the Eagles recently too.

go Eagles!!!

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote