Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2003, 11:33 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

NFL Beef Thread

The Bears are just SO BAD this year! It really stinks! They got us all excited two years ago with the 13-3 season, then hit some injuries last year - and went 4-12 (an all too common number in recent years!). THIS year, they don't even seem to be IN most games!!! Especially the first three weeks. Then they beat Oakland - but Oakland was not at all playing well. The last two weeks they've LOST to other teams that were not playing very well! (playing down to their opposition I'd say!)

HELP!!! Send us a quarterback, a running back, an offensive line, an offensive coordinator! BIGGER defensive linemen! Cornerbacks! New ownership!!!!!

Oh - and they've got this NEW stadium that's a total joke! We're the NFL's second-largest market, and the team just opened play (Monday night of week 4 - total trouncing by the *sob* PACKERS!) in the league's second-smallest stadium. It was ram-rodded through local government ("the Chicago way"), makes great use of public money, is an eyesore to an otherwise gorgeous lakefront - an awkward attempt to integrate the new and old - plus, it was kept at a location which, while giving beautiful TV camera shots of the city, totally devastates local traffic just before and after games. There were all these proposals about how it could be done better, bigger, cheaper, on a better location - but no, they'd have none of that!

SHEESH!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-19-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:12 AM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Down with the Giants and Jets!!!!!

I don't watch football at all, but I want the Giants and Jets to lose no matter what team they play. Both are New Jersey teams who have decided to put NY on their uniforms and call themselves NY teams. It was a slap in the face to NJ and was even worse when the Giants were in the Super Bowl. Both times the Giants DID win the Super Bowl, New JERSEY was the one who gave them their celebration party. Giants stadium is in the Meadowlands in New JERSEY NOT New York.

I have placed a New Jersey hex on them until they remove that hideous NY from their uniforms.

BTW - there was even a bill before the New Jersey State Legislature to rename Giants Stadium - ACR105 and I had also written to the governor of New Jersey several years ago. I received a letter from the President of the New Jersey Sports Authority stating that it is not New Jersey policy to dictate to private corporations what their names should be. They have a right to make their own marketing decisions. He continued to state that because TV and radio announcers state that the games are being played in The Meadowlands in New Jersey - that everyone in the country DO know that they are New JERSEY teams and not New YORK. Funny - everyone I have talked to seem to think they are New YORK teams.

Well that is my beef - so down with the Giants and Jets. If they want to be NY teams again and are too embarrassed by where they currently play and have played for the past THIRTY years, they should go back across the river and play where they used to - Yankee and Shea Stadium.

Note that after all these years - both teams only put NY back on their uniforms 3 years ago. The managers said that it would bring back their "past glory". Funny - the Giants never won a Super Bowl wearing NY on their uniforms - they only won in New JERSEY WITHOUT wearing the NY logo.

Quote:
ASSEMBLY CONCURRENT RESOLUTION No. 105

STATE OF NEW JERSEY
209th LEGISLATURE
INTRODUCED MAY 8, 2000

Sponsored by:

Assemblyman RICK MERKT
District 25 (Morris)

SYNOPSIS

Urges the renaming of Giants Stadium.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
As introduced.

A Concurrent Resolution urging the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to renegotiate the contract with the New York Football Giants, Inc. in order to rename Giants Stadium with a name more representative of the State.

Whereas, The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority Law, P.L.1971, c.137 (C.5:10-1 et seq.), was enacted to provide needed recreation to promote the general welfare, health and prosperity of the people of the State including the development of the Hackensack Meadowlands into a sports and exposition complex in order to induce a professional major league football team to locate its franchise in New Jersey; and

Whereas, For almost thirty years, public funds provided by the taxpayers of New Jersey have been expended for the development, maintenance and operation of the stadium at the Meadowlands complex; and

Whereas, The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority has been given the power to enter into all contracts, leases, and agreements for the use or occupancy of its facilities; and

Whereas, The current contract between the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and the New York Football Giants Inc. provides that the football stadium at the Meadowlands complex be named Giants Stadium; and

Whereas, The New York Football Giants Inc. has decided to put "NY" on the helmets of its football players; and

Whereas, Renaming the stadium with a name more representative of the State would inform those watching and listening to broadcasts of events from the stadium that it is located in New Jersey; now, therefore,

Be It Resolved by the General Assembly of the State of New Jersey (the Senate concurring):

1. The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority is strongly urged to renegotiate that portion of its contract with the New York Football Giants Inc. regarding the name of the stadium at the Meadowlands complex in order to rename the stadium with a name more representative of this State.

2. A duly authenticated copy of this resolution, signed by the Speaker of the General Assembly and the President of the Senate and attested to by the Clerk of the General Assembly and the Secretary of the Senate, shall be transmitted to the Chairman and to the President and Chief Executive Officer of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

STATEMENT
This concurrent resolution urges the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to renegotiate its contract with the New York Football Giants Inc. in order to rename Giants Stadium with a name that is more representative of this State and thereby inform the public that the stadium is located in New Jersey.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-20-2003 at 01:52 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Tim Couch sucks! Kelly Holcomb rules!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

are the cowboys really 5 and 1???

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:35 PM   #5
Beor
founder of the color blue

they are, but the vikings are 6-0
Old 10-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

There aren't any pro football teams around here. The closest ones are the Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints. I've never been to a pro football game.

So I say go Buccaneers (no, I'm not on the bandwagon -- I've liked them for years).

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #7
Beor
founder of the color blue

Oh, and by the way, Valandil, the Bears might have been beaten by the Packers, but don't worry, the Packers will fall.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
Draken
Elf Lord

Re: Down with the Giants and Jets!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I don't watch football at all, but I want the Giants and Jets to lose no matter what team they play. Both are New Jersey teams who have decided to put NY on their uniforms and call themselves NY teams. It was a slap in the face to NJ and was even worse when the Giants were in the Super Bowl. Both times the Giants DID win the Super Bowl, New JERSEY was the one who gave them their celebration party. Giants stadium is in the Meadowlands in New JERSEY NOT New York.
That would irritate the hell out of me. When our rugby league team 'merged' with Hull Sharks, they relocated completely to Hull and became 'Hull FC'. Never liked Hull before then and hate them with a vengeance now.

We managed to get our own team re-born and we're still a pro club 3 years later, but it hasn't been easy thanks to those turncoats. Still, we just sold them a rather useless winger for a few grand, so maybe we're starting to get our own back!

As of now I feel obliged to feel the same about the Jets & Giants!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Re: Re: Down with the Giants and Jets!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
As of now I feel obliged to feel the same about the Jets & Giants!
Thank you for your support from across the ocean. It's been a uphill battle trying to get people to realize that the Giants and Jets are NJ teams.

Two months ago - Hillary Clinton - now senator from NY - was listing their professional teams and said New York state has three professional football teams. The reporter pointed out to her that two of them play in NJ and are NJ teams - she said - "well I have always just thought of New Jersey as just a suburb of New York"

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-20-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

the NFL sucks. If you want to watch real football, here the games are more exciting, watch the CFL. Instead of that sissy 4 downs crap, it has 3 downs, and the play with larger balls, longer and wider fields, and the goal posts are pushed back. That is real football

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:15 PM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
the NFL sucks. If you want to watch real football, here the games are more exciting, watch the CFL. Instead of that sissy 4 downs crap, it has 3 downs, and the play with larger balls, longer and wider fields, and the goal posts are pushed back. That is real football
That is your opinion - but who the hell ever heard of the CFL?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
gdl96
the greg the admin

Sorry JD, but

Go JETS! 2 wins in a row baby! And Pennington will be back soon!!
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:22 PM   #13
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

The best thing to come out of the CFL was Doug Flutie.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:28 PM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Sorry JD, but

Go JETS! 2 wins in a row baby! And Pennington will be back soon!!
They still suck thank god. You're a former New Yorker - so that's why you root for them.

Just wait until my special order Giants and Jets voodoo dolls come in from New Orleans, they'll have no chance of winning then.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-20-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:38 PM   #15
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Just wait until my special order Giants and Jets voodoo dolls come in from New Orleans, they'll have no chance of winning then.
1 word: freak . voodoo dolls, cmon, we all no that a mosquitos in the locker room would be better, and much much funnier

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:34 AM   #16
jerseydevil

I just wanted to say - my Giants voodoo dolls came in and so far every penny spent on them is well worth it. 27 - 7 lose against one of the worst teams in the league. I couldn't be happier. now I need to get a letter out to the star ledger and let everyone know that the Giants shoudl put NJ on their uniforms if they want to start winning.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-16-2003, 07:25 PM   #17
jerseydevil

The Giants voodoo dolls are REALLY working. Giants lost 28-10 today. Maybe they should really rethink that NY on their uniforms.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #18
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Quote:
...watch the CFL. Instead of that sissy 4 downs crap, it has 3 downs, and they play with larger balls...
Sorry, gollum... but that was more than I needed to know.

Khamul, after Flutie’s performance today, the CFL better start training up a new wonder boy. (In all fairness, though, I really respect Flutie... heck, he’s almost as old as me.)

JD, you must really be happy today... both New Jersey... oh, um... sorry, I mean New York teams lost. Peyton threw, what?, 400 some yards against the Jets today. Way to go defense.
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:09 PM   #19
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I like football because Super Bowl parties are such FUN! We always make those yummy little hotdogs in biscuits, and ... oh, sorry, guys!

JD, that's pretty disgusting about the Jets and Giants - I had no idea they played in NJ! And as far as Hillary - well, that's no big surprise

I like the Packers, tho, because my son likes them

Bummer about the new stadium, Valandil - why can't they do things RIGHT when they have a chance?!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:13 PM   #20
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Go Pats!
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote