Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

World Cup 2010

Most of you call it football. Here in the USA, we call it soccer.

But the 2010 World Cup starts in just a few more days.

Here's a thread to make bold predictions, offer shrewd analysis, cheer madly when your team wins - and yes... even to gripe when things do not go the way they were supposed to.

Introducing, Entmoor's very own... World Cup 2010 Thread!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Well, I'll give my zero cents. I don't know anything about the different teams playing at the World Cup...could anyone give some info as to where it is and who the major participants are?

I'd look it up on my own but I'm sure other 'mooters might need the info...
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Mari
Elf Lady

It's in South Africa this year. And here is all the info anyone might ever need or want:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

I won't be watching. It's bad enough as it is, ruining my birthday once every 4 years. As if Father's Day falling on my birthday once every 6 years isn't bad enough already.
Last time the Netherlands actually did quite well. Or were those the European Championships? Ah well.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Your lads are in England's group, Valandil. They could be in with a shout. England look useful but usually under-perform. And they have David James in goal

Brazil will win the tournament, of course.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 06-07-2010 at 04:46 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I love it. TWO sports threads going on the same day on the Moot. What are the odds!

Gaf, we are looking forward to that England - US match on Saturday! They are calling it "the most anticipated soccer match in US history", whatever that means. Kiind of like saying "the most anticipated steak at a vegetarians picnic. Ill go 2-1 US. With Landon Donovan getting the winning score. Will the Brits cheer him out of the tunnel? I hear hes hugely popular over there since hes been with Everton. Im sure they wont like it if he scores though.

Ill take Spain to win it all.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

oh boy... some yanks.. who call Football "soccer" and an angry Scotsman...

LOL.

Nice thread Val - much appreciated. Now i just have The Gaffer and IR to deal with ...

Hooboy!

one not forgotten how many times he's been reminded of 1966 by the Sassenachs ..and the other keen to replay the War of Independence no doubt...

Should be fun!

Like all good Englishmen..i am in serious training ....

and luckily there's a supermarket price-war on beer a brewin'
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Sign me up for the hooliganism and the beer!

Wotcha BB, Gaf!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

FFS, we are in trouble if Sane is in the crowd. It's not looking good for the hooliganism aspect, though, with some of England's finest getting rumbled by the polis. I suspect that a night in the cells in Johannesburg will do them a world of good.

BB, winning the world cup on home soil doesn't count, you should know that. Anyone can do that. Except the USA apparently.

Could be a good shout, IR, who else have you got though? Is Friedel still on the go?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
I love it. TWO sports threads going on the same day on the Moot. What are the odds!
:
:
Yeah - do you want to be the one to bump the 'bball' thread. We could talk Lakers-Celtics, or coaching changes, or likely landing places for Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh.

And we can talk baseball if people want too.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Well, I'll give my zero cents. I don't know anything about the different teams playing at the World Cup...could anyone give some info as to where it is and who the major participants are?

I'd look it up on my own but I'm sure other 'mooters might need the info...
Biggest sporting event on the planet, more people watching than even the Olympics (2006 over 2 billion), held every four years.

Teams represent the 32 surviving nations out of 204 after an elimination process over the years since the last cup.

Held in South Africa this time; first time it's been in Africa.

And to sound knowledgable, you must know the organisation responsible, FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) is pronounced "feefa"- don't say F-I-F-A.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Countries are divided into 8 groups of four in the first round; each team plays the other teams once and the top two teams advance to the next round.

After that it's straight knock-out.

Usual suspects to look for: Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, Argentina (maybe not this time) France.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #12
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I think we should have some Moot awards for the tournament. Some ideas for categories:

Goal of the tournament
Archie Gemmill tore Holland a new one in 1978. Too little, too late, as it turned out.

Player of the tournament
My prediction is David James, England's goalie. NOT! Bwahahahaha

Most egregious dive
Cheating is part and parcel of football, and provides much of the enjoyment for spectators. Who can forget Rivaldo in 2002? Who will take the crown in 2010?

Most vicious hack
Harald Schumacher changed the direction of the 1982 world cup (and Battiston's neck vertebrae) with his immortal assassination attempt.

Worst refereeing performance
There's always one totally chaotic game in a world cup, where the ref loses the plot and there's a mass brawl at the end. For some reason they usually seem to involve Argentina and/or Uruguay.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #13
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Opening ceremony is on Friday followed by the opening match between host South Africa and Mexico, 16.00 hours Central European Time!

Some would say South Africa, not being a particularly strong team, have been unlucky to draw Mexico, France and Uruguay, the two latter both having won the World Cup previously!

But the Group of Death is Group G! Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast and... North Korea North Korea even have a striker called the 'Rooney of Korea' and 'Ronaldo of Korea'.. for those of you who have no idea who those guys are, they are two of the best strikers in the world.

I believe Brazil will win the group and progress as far as the semis, where they'll get beaten. But Portugal and Ivory Coast both have it in them to progress. Portugal have Ronaldo and Ivory Coast have Drogba, and if the Ivorians are organized and defensively disciplined they might just get that 2nd place spot in Group G, hell even make it all the way to the quarters or semi-finals

All the media have been hyping up England as one of the favorites to win for months now. But they're simply not good enough and won't make it past the quarter-finals. The team is overrated, with an overreliance on their top striker Rooney who has a self-destructing temperament and prone to red cards when things aren't going his way. Worse, their coach Capello has chosen Emile Heskey, an over-the-top and ineffective striker. Playing for English side Aston Villa for 40 games the man has scored a mere 5 goals, which is a ridiculously low tally for a target man going into the World Cup

Hup Holland Hup!!! The dark horse in this tournament, and the team that I believe will lift the trophy, are the Netherlands, whom are playing beautiful, total football at the moment as well having a home advantage.
South Africa is of course home to the Boers, the Afrikaans-speaking white minority whoms ancestors sailed from the Netherlands some 350 years ago. Afrikaans and Dutch are nearly identical and the Dutch team will find themselves as close to home as they possibly could on the tip of Africa

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 06-09-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Much as I would love to see it the Dutch win, they always seem to bottle it at championships. Usually at the hands of Germany. Often as a result of in-fighting. But they are probably the best side never to have won the tournament. I think I shall join you, Coffeehouse, in supporting our orange brethren.

Still think Brazil will win it. Home hemisphere advantage to outweigh Boer heritage.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Could be a good shout, IR, who else have you got though? Is Friedel still on the go?
I think Tim Howard (speaking of americans playing for Everton...) is set to start at Keeper. Hes a great talent of course. Just wish our offensive players were nearly as highly ranked. Seems like England is the opposite of the US. Solid field players but a big hole in goal. While the US is really the other way around. Perhaps they will end up in a tie on Saturday because of that. And Altidore's tweaked ankle is still iffy. Doubt theyll get a full 90 out of him. But if DeMerit can blanket (and harass) Rooney all game long then theres a chance he'll blow his top and get a card or something. At least rattle the English enough to deflate their offense. If your boys choose to play physical with us it should play right into our hands as thats a significant strength of the US squad. In fact I think Bradley's game plan Saturday will be to initiate the physical play from the first whistle and see if it keeps them from ever hitting a comfort zone.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Yeah - do you want to be the one to bump the 'bball' thread. We could talk Lakers-Celtics, or coaching changes, or likely landing places for Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh.

And we can talk baseball if people want too.
Funny you should say that! I couldnt even find the baseball thread! It must be several seasons back or something. I wanted to crow about the major league debut of STEPHEN STRASBURG who, according to the popular press, is set to become the second coming of Roger Clemons if not Jesus when he pitches his first game tonight for the Nats. Granted he has looked amazing and worth the hype in the minors so far but geez ease down there america... Hes just a kid and WILL have his share of rough starts in the next two or three years. Becoming Roger Clemons is not about going 25-4 in your first year. Its about soldiering through 15 loss seasons and the occasional 3 inning fiascos (not to mention potential injuries) yet still coming back and becoming better because of it.

But hey Stephen Strasburg is old news! Nats also picked up Bryce Harper with the first pick in the draft yesterday. This is a 17 year old kid who left high school early to dominate at the college level and has already been mentioned in the same sentence with the likes of Ken Griffey Jr and Alex Rodriguez. Not to mention LeBron James.... Oy... when will the hype end. But the future looks good in DC if you like baseball!

All right if you can find the baseball thread feel free to move this post over there. Ill let you handle the hoop thread.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

blimey... so much to reply to.. but i don't want to risk injury so early

plus..as stated ..i am in serious training, and don't wish to let Sane down

I.E - i fear i am not sober enough to remember all the things i'd reply to

Gaffer - one word ..or set of numbers... 1966

LOL!

this isnt an aussie soap opera.. it aint "home or away" .. this is ashley cole meets Piers Morgan ...

hah!

As to england... an ability to win ugly, rather than go out to "hands of god" or penalties..will do just fine, thanks.

Can we win it? .. possibly... am i confident? Not really -

As to heskey - good point, but then stats prove themselves and it's a team game.

Spain is a good call IR - but i think we'll beat you on game one ..though with England ... it never rains but it pours -

as to VAL... please keep on topic - LOL
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #18
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Bah! Told you it doesn't count at home. 1967 is a far better number anyway.

Heskey = legend. Already buggering up your chances and they haven't even kicked a ball yet.

The papers are touting James not to start in goal against the US, so that just made your boys' task a wee bit harder, IR.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #19
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
FFS, we are in trouble if Sane is in the crowd. It's not looking good for the hooliganism aspect, though, with some of England's finest getting rumbled by the polis. I suspect that a night in the cells in Johannesburg will do them a world of good.
I swear not to break out the pool cues! I make no such promise on the beer bottles though.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #20
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:

Still think Brazil will win it. Home hemisphere advantage to outweigh Boer heritage.
Depends how you slice it.

But, ja, would be nice to see Orange. Though not sure how much heritage helps as the Afrikaaners are not passionate soccer fans- round ball supporters are mostly black.

Speaking of which, I was watching the Rugby Super 14 Championship the other week played in Soweto(two SA teams), and the crowd was armed with long plastic trumpet thingies called
vuvzelas. They were so loud and blasted so constantly you couldn't hear the commentators- really annoying.

These are apparently usually confined to socer matches in SA- some Rubgy stadiums ban them.
FIFA has dodged the issue on this, undoubtedly for fear of getting blasted for racism,and will allow them during the tournament.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPBR1DQUUK.DTL

Last edited by GrayMouser : 06-09-2010 at 04:33 AM.