Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 AM   #21
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Speak for yourself. [/Tabrîl]

Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #22
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Want to hear my opinion of the story so far? As from an outsider?

Actually, not really sure what good it would do. It's mostly that you need to get moving... if you ever want to get this thing published, they're going to make you take a whole lot out of the beginning... however, that might improve the excitement a little... Haha.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 06-03-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #23
Mari
Elf Lady

Go right ahead. I'm interested

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 AM   #24
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Uh... so far.. my favorite characters to hear about are Tabril, Abasi, Radagast, Haldis, and Ellysa. When they come up, it's usually something important, or relevant, or whatever. Ingwionis is beginning to get that way, too.

The others usually (it feels like) are just talking because they can. Like the guy who keeps saying, "Soo...." whenever there's a pause in the conversation. For example, Nami goes around and attempts to get everyone to be happy and like I mentioned, Hedrim really likes to walk around, look at people, and stick his nose in where it isn't wanted. Quickleaf likes to look at trees and sing songs. When they were there, Barliman and Hamfast liked to drink. The only reason I can say that with certainty is because they do it all the time. I know that is also part of their personalities, but it's just that they assert that personality in seemingly too few ways. Of course, they do have their important times as well (everyone does)... But that is from a literary point of view, not a RPG point of view. I'm new to that point of view..

Like I said before, it needs to get moving. You all are getting so bored sitting in the forest being camped for one night over five days that you're all about to kill each other! It's an excellent story line though. What plot there is carries it really well.

My favorite parts of the story were the beginning (I always love beginnings, though!), and the part when Tabril showed up and they came to Dol Guldur... and the part when Haldis was binding herself to Tabril. Those were really exciting parts! The spiders were too, but after a while it was like "Nami killed a spider!" "Hedrim killed a spider!" "Borin killed a spider!" etc., etc.... and I don't really like battle scenes anyway. It's easier to just say "They fought each other with swords" in my opinion. Okay. I will go ahead and post this before you decide to go to bed!

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 06-03-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #25
Midge
Faithful Gardener

And I took a huge risk posting my favorite characters! Don't hate me if I didn't list your character, please! Everyone is great; why else would I ask to join?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #26
Mari
Elf Lady

Hehe, maybe we do take our sweet time talking ^_^
I like finding out more about characters even if it isn't directly important to the story.

Very brave of you to post this Midge. Though I don't think anyone will be bothered by it much, so don't worry!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:41 AM   #27
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I hope not! Now I really do need to go to bed! Whew, it's late! Good night... *yawns*

Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #28
Midge
Faithful Gardener

And like I said, an RPG thread is NOT a book. You are probably not planning on pitching this thing to any publishers, so who am I to review it as though you have?

I've not been a part of many RPG things, but when I figured out what RPG stood for on my very own, I guess I figured I'd make it all right! =D

Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #29
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Okay. Going to bed...

Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 AM   #30
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I'm glad you like Haldis. If complete strangers like my characters then I must be doing something right by studying creative writing...

Anyway.

Feedback is a good thing. It's interesting to note that the parts you've named as your favorites are all places where one or more players took the time to really plot things out before writing the scene in question. I had to empty my pm inbox about three times before the binding scene was over.

I am certain that once every player has had the opening/inspiration/time to do such 'plotly' posts then the characters will be more evenly developed.

Now get thee to a name dictionary. Earniel will need to approve the details of the discovery of your character (your premise is well started, but your poor character must be either a wraith of sorts or dead from starvation if he's been languishing in an abandoned dungeon since Sauron's fall, we're a few years past that by this point) but there should be no problem with you joining in.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #31
Mari
Elf Lady

Good night Midge. Here the day has just started

Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #32
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

It's started here too if you count the day as starting at midnight...

I'd go to bed, but my class isn't till afternoon tomorrow and I've got a purring kitten on my lap.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #33
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
I had to empty my pm inbox about three times before the binding scene was over.
Likewise.

Midge, I'm very glad you think I'm doing something right with Tabrîl, as well, and it's very good to get an opinion on the story from an outsider, as it were.

Willow - loved your last post, Haldis is likely very sensible not to interrupt them at this point. Could be dangerous.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #34
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Sensibility would be the root of her brand of wisdom.

She's hoping that if she lets Tabril play with Abasi, her pestering Tabril into going into the tunnels will be met with something other than outright refusal. Haldis is a little optimistic in this reasoning...

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 AM   #35
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Uh... so far.. my favorite characters to hear about are Tabril, Abasi, Radagast, Haldis, and Ellysa. When they come up, it's usually something important, or relevant, or whatever. Ingwionis is beginning to get that way, too.

The others usually (it feels like) are just talking because they can. Like the guy who keeps saying, "Soo...." whenever there's a pause in the conversation. For example, Nami goes around and attempts to get everyone to be happy and like I mentioned, Hedrim really likes to walk around, look at people, and stick his nose in where it isn't wanted. Quickleaf likes to look at trees and sing songs. When they were there, Barliman and Hamfast liked to drink. The only reason I can say that with certainty is because they do it all the time. I know that is also part of their personalities, but it's just that they assert that personality in seemingly too few ways. Of course, they do have their important times as well (everyone does)... But that is from a literary point of view, not a RPG point of view. I'm new to that point of view..

Like I said before, it needs to get moving. You all are getting so bored sitting in the forest being camped for one night over five days that you're all about to kill each other! It's an excellent story line though. What plot there is carries it really well.

My favorite parts of the story were the beginning (I always love beginnings, though!), and the part when Tabril showed up and they came to Dol Guldur... and the part when Haldis was binding herself to Tabril. Those were really exciting parts! The spiders were too, but after a while it was like "Nami killed a spider!" "Hedrim killed a spider!" "Borin killed a spider!" etc., etc.... and I don't really like battle scenes anyway. It's easier to just say "They fought each other with swords" in my opinion. Okay. I will go ahead and post this before you decide to go to bed!
Some good points and I think everyone is trying to create an identity for their character, which takes more time for some than others Realism and all that
I can say for my own character that there will be a lot more connected to the plot of the story as we go on, but I still feel we are pretty early into the adventure (we've only come to Dol Guldur, Quickleaf and Hedrim are the only ones who've actually been excavating the underground, etc.) so there will be plenty of character development yet to come. yey!
I agree that Nami and Quickleaf at least haven't made as much story yet, but that's mostly because they've had to respond to everyone's elses (courtesy): Haldis' entanglement with Tabril, Ellysa's foreshadowing dreams, Abasi's constant bickering (well, it's stopped now that he has a girlfriend thankfully!, and the sword-fight) So really, although there are very many posts written, we've not had much time to really carve out a real story yet, but I'm sure the company is well on its way

It's cool that we have readers though! I'll do my part to make this a good read

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 06-03-2008 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #36
Amael
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Actually, I don't think many of the company will expect Hedrim to choose not to save a member of the group. Or that he'll be hated most. One big family, remember? [/Ellysa]

Defniition of family, that is.

Oops, ran into the 90 seconds flood gate. Gotta wait 38 more seconds. ... 11 seconds ...
Old 06-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #37
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
So... I have only just found this thread. I've read up on LLL and I'd like to join. Is it too late? I'm thinking... someone stumbles onto me in the dungeons of Dol Guldur when they're looking for more archives? Are you going back in soon? You guys super need to get out of that forest. Too much exposition!
Hi Midge, sure you can join but the dungeon story would be a bit difficult. Four years is very long to be locked up all alone and if Galadriel was still missing an Elf, she'd no doubt had looked close enough to find him/her in the dungeons when she and her forces destroyed Dol Guldur.

Let's look for a more probable entrance. So you want to be a Lorien Elf or are you still undecided? You can decide any race you like (as long as it stays plausible), so give us a description of a character that you'd like to play and we can work out an entrance from there. If you're really unsure about what character you'd like to play, we can give some suggestions.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for one conversation to end before I make Radagast take the lot underground again. Interrupting now will only cause more disruption, I think. Besides, we don't have to be hasty to finish it. I kind of like the conversations between characters because they give more insight in them. We've got time and I just keep sure things progress fast enough so we don't stall. I did say at the beginning that this game could go on for a year or longer and so far that estimate seems still likely.

Quote:
And like I said, an RPG thread is NOT a book. You are probably not planning on pitching this thing to any publishers, so who am I to review it as though you have?
Haha, that's very unlikely. With so many different authors, we'd all have to agree with publication and the details of how, who and where. Not that that matters anyway, the laywers of the Tolkien estate would be upon us in the blink of an eye if we ever tried to publish LoTR-fanfiction.

But I have been compiling the story in a word document as I do with all RPG's I participate in because I like to keep copies in case the websites I play on loses the story. And in that document I have been editting a little bit to make the story more coherent. Not removing anything, just moving posts together to have a unified conversation and correcting some errors. (If people want a copy at the end of the game, I'll gladly email some out. Ask me then.)
Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #38
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
I'm still waiting for one conversation to end before I make Radagast take the lot underground again.
Not - Tabrîl and Abasi, by any chance? Sorry! We'll finish up quickly.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #39
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, I can't have Radagast gather everyone for some last new details while a few are still throwing knives at one another, now can I?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #40
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

There we go, game over for now.

Quote:
She's hoping that if she lets Tabril play with Abasi, her pestering Tabril into going into the tunnels will be met with something other than outright refusal. Haldis is a little optimistic in this reasoning...
More than a little. But she can try.

Closed Thread