Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Long Lost Leaves

NOTE: Discussion thread for this game is here

Four years had passed since the Middle-earth had faced one of the greatest upheavals in its history, which had culminated in the destruction of the One Ring. The events had rung in a new age for many, and a silent end and departing of others. In his home of Rhosgobel, Radagast the Brown, the last known remaining wizard in Middle-earth, remembered those days well. But the memories never failed to instil him with a sense of embarrassment, for those memories also included some of his failures.

He cast his mind back to a sunny, if somewhat chilly autumn morning in the year after the Ring and its master perished. He had had a visitor then, which in itself had already been quite a novelty. But this had been no ordinary visitor, Gandalf the White could have been called anything but ordinary.

"You have changed, my friend" Radagast remarked as he passed Gandalf a cup of herbal tea, "in a way you seem no longer Gandalf the Grey, and yet at the same time even you do seem to be more like who you were before."
Gandalf laughed. "Perhaps, I am. But many things have changed since we last talked, yourself included."
"May it be for the better," Radagast sighed. "I do think I know why you have come here, Gandalf. You have come to show me that I have failed the task that had been set before us, that which you have completed."
"It is not for me to judge your doings, Radagast," Gandalf said, not without kindness. "You may have strayed from our path, yes, but I know you have not stood by idly when the darkness fell on the Green Wood."
Radagast waved the covert compliment away. "It would be difficult for anyone to stand by idly when there are orcs on your very doorstep," he said with some bitterness. "It does not take away that I have much neglected the world outside the eaves of the forest for many a long year. I do have failed."
"Do not be too harsh for yourself, my friend. For even Saruman, who exceeded us both in power and knowledge, strayed much further that you ever could. However," Gandalf continued, "if this troubles you so, Radagast, there are other paths still untrod and other tasks unfinished."
Radagast looked up. "Are you trying to offer me redemption, Gandalf?" He asked.
"If you feel you require it as such. But as my time here is running shorter, I am not blind to the matters that were never properly looked into. There is such a matter, that I believe requires a wizard’s care. A matter that would prosper far better with your qualities than mine."
"And what matter is this?" Radagast asked, his curiosity aroused.
"The matter of the Entwives, Radagast. Long lost, but not forgotten by the slow memories of the Ents."
"But centuries have passed since their disappearance, Gandalf!"
"True. But as the Entwives’ disappearance was in a turbulent period of war, no one ever managed to search for them. I believe their disappearance was not purely coincidence and that foul play was involved. They might have perished in those uncertain days, that much is true. But the Ents still believe they may have fled, fled so far that they never found a way back. I have spoken long with Treebeard on this, and now that there is peace in the lands in the south and the east of Entwood, some of the younger Ents have expressed the wish to look for them, or at least discover what was their fate. A journey he and I are loathe to let them make on their own."
"A wizard’s care, you said."
"You are by far the most skilled man for this task, Radagast. You know the languages of beasts and birds, and if there is anything the Brown Lands still can tell, you will know how to read it."
Radagast pondered Gandalf’s offer for a while and then said: "But I am not you, Gandalf. This task…" he trailed off uncertainly.
Gandalf laughed. "Indeed you are not, and you are far better off for not being me. But my dear Radagast, I never suggested you should take on this task alone. No, if you should wish to take on this search, and I do mean ‘if’, then you will not be without companions. I have met many people on my travels, some on whom I have relied in the past, and some who will gladly offer you their assistance for my sake. I have readied letters to them. The addresses where you can find them, or where they are sure to pass by regularly to receive it, are on the envelopes. All you have to do is send them if and when you are ready. If they accept, you can expect them to arrive here in Rhosgobel three months later."
"You have considered this very well," Radagast said with some surprise.
"Do not be deceived," Gandalf said gravely, "there will be far more difficult matters to consider when I will be gone. One cannot simply walk into the Brown lands to follow a trail that has been cold for many centuries. Think well, Radagast, and as long as you need."

~~~

It had been three years now since Gandalf had left Rhosgobel, never to return again. And Radagast did think long. He had travelled long, and farther than he had in years. He spoke with Treebeard, Tom Bombadil and many others. And finally, when he felt confident enough at last, the letters Gandalf had left for him were sent out.

Within days it would be new moon, and then the three months of waiting were spent. Soon he would have visitors in Rhosgobel again.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine blinked at the letter in her hand. It was Gandalf's writing alright. She glanced around the stables before breaking the seal. Someone had known her well enough to leave it in the stall with Midnight, although it was pure miracle the horse didn't eat it. As she read, she smiled. Her old friend had a task for her. She immediately gathered provisions, saddled her horse and rode to Rhosgobel.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera

Last edited by Acalewia : 10-09-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

His first visitor was neither unusual nor sent for but a neighbor (living but an hour's brisk walk away) who, no longer having a husband found it amusing to drop in on the region's resident wizard. As she was in the habit of bringing him some of the results of her baking prowress, her endured the company in good humor.
The lady in question was called Haldis and today she was making her rounds, calling, as was her custom, upon all those human and human shaped beings who lived within a league or two of her dwelling. She did this every month, but a rather nasty rash of spring colds had kept her busy, and eventually house bound recently, so that she had been obliged to miss her last two visits to Rhosgobel.
Thus it was to her great surprise upon entering the usually cluttered dwelling to find the wizard Radagast attempting to clean.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-08-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
orithil
Captain Jack

"My lord Valdaes!" said the messenger as he walked briskley into the room,
"There is a letter for you.." he bowed before Valdaes and held the letter out.
A soldier took the letter and handed it to Valdaes.
"Hmm from Gandalf, I sense an adventure" he read the letter and was filled with joy, "ha-ha-ha time for another adventure, tell the steward to take my place, saddle my horse and get my gear, tonight I ride to Rhosgobel.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

Last edited by orithil : 10-10-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"Letters!"

... "Letters!" ..."Now what does that remind me of?" mumbled Barliaman, tripping over yesterday's 'to do' list still lying blank on the bedroom floor ...

Yawning, he bustled over to the mirror and absently adjusted his night cap ...

what was to do?

Scratching with one hand , he began to drum his hand on the bedside table ...

somewhere, slowly, at the very deepest, dustiest depths of what was commonly called a mind, an alarm bell was ringing ...

he ignored it.

Letters...
Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
A short as well as stocky, hairy, and hodge-podge type of armoured Beorning kicked his way through Mirkwood's underbrush, swinging his large shield childishly beside him. "Just a quick stop at Radagast's place, then we're off to the Lonely Mountain, okay? Dwarves are always fun, eh, Anthrax?" The white horse walking beside him snuffled a dissent, which the Beorning just rolled his eyes at. A large raven squawked a warning as it made a hasty landing on the guy's shoulder. "A what's coming? Walking tree and an idiot?" The three halted at the sound of something far larger approaching.

The Beorning stood there and peeked out from behind his shield and had just come up with the idea of hiding behind a tree or something when an Ent with a giant eagle perched on it strode by. Recognizing the giant eagle and giving a noise of mirth at the raven's revealed opinion of the guy, he called out, "Knockondor! Where are you going with that tree?" The Ent turned with a, "Hmph!" and absent-mindedly flicked the giant eagle off of her head. "Tree? Then what are you, a rat? No. The smell is far worse! What dolts do you surround yourself with, Knockondor?"

The giant eagle chuckled easily and flounded to the earth, where he awkwardly hopped closer to the Beorning. "Who is that? No, not a rat. A little bear, by the smell. Do I know any bears? Oh, it's Truor, my friend! I told you about him, Blossomshade. Captured by Orcs, I broke my way through their doors and fought through many tunnels and saved him from torture! More than once, I think. He is very lucky to know me!" Oblivious to the Ent's skepticism and the Beorning's anger, "We're looking for Radagast, Truor. Well, not looking. I know where he lives. But you could lead the way, if you know it. I know the way, though." Blossomshade shook her head and walked a few circles with exasperation. Truor sighed and pointed in a direction that Knockondor definitely hadn't been headed before. "Alright. You can tell us about the tree on the way? Or maybe uh, she should tell it? That thing sounds like a she. And probably won't lie as much."

Upon arrival outside Radagast's place, Truor smelled more company than he had ever encountered around the normally private (at least when it came to non-animals) wizard. "Hm. Could be important. Wouldn't want to interrupt." The Ent's pace didn't even slow, and she ended up peering around, looking for someone who could be a wizard.

- Myself
Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Only to encounter a woman blithely sweeping around her. The woman poked at the ent's er... roots with the broom and looked upwards, mildly annoyed and distinctly unfazed by the sight of a moving tree (because really, after living around wizards, skinchangers and through the war of the ring next to nothing fazed Haldis anymore).

"If you're one of the visitors, you're welcome. All the same, do stay off the floor. I've just got this bit here to finish and then the place will be presentable. It's Radagast, you see, hasn't the slightest idea of how to clean for company..."
She trailed off as if that explained everything and there ensued a shuffle in which the ent would moved a little to the side, the woman would sweep, repeat, until finally the work was done and the woman set down the broom.
"There!" She exclaimed, "That's far better. I'll go tell him you've arrived."
So saying she strode out into the back garden, calling for the wizard.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Elsewhere the hermit Ferrin had gotten word of Ragasts need for help from a small crow named Phillip, being a hermit Ferrin had some basic understanding of a few of the languages of birds(That of crows and ravens especially, all the other birds just talk of building nests and flying all day long).

All the same it took three hours for Phillip to get the message across, Ferrin -being a hermit and all- had next to no idea of what had happened in the outside world sence he flew to the misty mountens and thus he had to be told everything about the war of the ring and Sarumans betrail.

And thus Ferrin left his cave in the misty mountens and headed down Mirkwood to find ragast.
Two-handed greatsword slung over his back, and in his head (and to a degree
out loud) wondering why Saruman had become evil...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
After attempting to determine what Haldis's eye color was, shrugging, and following her back, "There is a meeting? Hm. What about? I am here on business of my own."

Shadowflaps flapped off to speak with the birds in the area while Truor and Anthrax gave the Ent plenty of room as they followed. Knockondor found a perch on top of Blossomshade again, where he puffed his chest out with importance. "Well, whoever the wizard is meeting with, this is more important! We are here to save the Ents! Far have we travelled, numerous and deadly have been our adventures, and, uh, I just now came up with the idea of asking Radagast about it. He seems smart."

- Myself
Old 10-12-2007, 03:21 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

They could hear voices coming from the back garden. "Oh, my guests have arrived? Thank you, Haldis. No, no really, the kitchen does not need another clean-up." Haldis' answer was a short snort of disagreement when she went on with her work. "But Haldis-" Radagast heaved a sigh of defeat and went to see his visitors.

"Truor! All all visitors not one expected. But welcome all the same. And I haven't forgotten you, Anthrax," as he patted the horse's nose. "There's some fodder in the back yard, but you might have to share it soon with company."

"Now, Knockondor," Radagast said, turning to the Eagle, but somewhat forgetting to wonder where that new tree the Eagle was sitting in had come from. "I heard you wanted to ask me something."

Last edited by Earniel : 10-12-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 AM   #11
YayGollum
Enting

Anthrax neighed happily and trotted off. Truor cracked a smile and nodded his thanks but frowned at the idea of more people showing up. "Ah, what company, Radagast? We were just planning on passing through..."

Knockondor blinked with surprise that the wizard had known why he had come but decided that he had merely been speaking too loudly, then attempted to pierce the little people below him with a few imperious looks. "Yes, yes. If you would just point us in the direction of the nearest flock of Entwives, we can be on our way. I have heard that you are not much the traveller but are nevertheless quite well informed as to the lives of plants and animals. That's right, right? Well, I think I heard that. Anyway, Ents are kind of like plants. Where did they wander off to? My friend here is looking for some family."

- Myself
Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Nuelbar
Hobbit

Hmmm. The ent said to himself. I have come a long ways now, but I still do not see Rhosgebel. The ent had been anticipating this journey for a short period really, when out of the blue, or should he say, out of the green (forest) a message came with another ent telling him of the journey that was to come to find the entwives. Hmmm, the ent thought. the ent was by ent standards about half grown, which meant that he was wise. He knew that there would be a few ents going on this trip just for an adventure and to get out of guarding their forest, but he took this trip more serious. He knew that the existance of his race depended on find mates for his kind. As the ent walked, he heard faint hoof beats ahead of him. They were sharp rings every now and then when the horse walked, meaning that it was shod. The ent stopped and waited for the creature to come closer. There was a man on top of the horse, or . . . what the ent thought was a human. . . it could of been an orc for all he knew. The creature was singing a song that the ent didn't know as it approached. When it finally came close to being in front of the ent, the ent bellowed "Who are you?" The horse was so frightened at this that it reared up and almost threw the rider. "Whoa, whoa," the rider said to the horse as he tried to calm it. "Where are you, I can't see you! Show yourself ,or I'll send an arrow through you and send you to the shadow realm!" the rider yelled. "I am here," the ent replied. "Sorry i frightened your horse," the ent said and then took a deep breath, "Are you a human?" the ent said in a slow voice. "Yes, and my name Bowen,"the rider said sitting up straighter, "but what, in all of the earth, are you?" "I have never seen anything like you," the rider added. "To you and your kind I am known as one of the tree people," the ent replied, "My name is too long to tell in your tongue, but you may call me . . . EarthShaker." "Well EarthShaker, it is an honor to meet you," Bowen said, "My new friend what brings you to these parts, never have any . . . tree people, been seen here before." "Little one, I wish to keep my business my own, but I will tell you that I am looking for Rhosgebel," said EarthShaker. "Are you," Bowen said in a loud excited exclamation (or loud at least to humans) "that is a big coincidence, because I am headed towards Rhosgebel myself!" Bowen said happily. "We are within a half a days march from there and it is only the morning my friend, let us make haste and we will go there together," Bowen said merrily. "Hmmm," EarthShaker said ponderingly, "I will go with you Bowen." "Good," Bowen said, " now let us start before it gets too late, and we can talk along the way."

And here it is how the two of them became friends. Only time, though, can tell if their paths will lead them in the same direction.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine reined in Midnight the moment she was within the eaves of Mirkwood. According to the letter she had recieved, Rhosgebel shouldn't be too far. The Rohirrim woman dismounted and led her horse farther into the forest. Before long she found a small house.
"This should be it, Midnight," the black mare tossed her head and snorted as if to say "this had better be". Aelfwine knew she was tired. She patted the mare's neck. Then went to knock on the door.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

The door seemed to open of its own accord (a trick many a wizard and local hedge witch has found useful) and a cheerful (cleaning Rhosgobel amused Haldis a great deal, Radagast's expressions as she aimed the broom at his carefully cultivated moss colonies only to move it to the side and sweep around them at the last moment were simply priceless) vioce echoed out from the kitchen area,
"They're all the garden, dear, go along and join them- we'll have the kitchen cleaned and the tea made in just a bit."

Aelfwine caught a glimpse of brown frizz through the archway as she made her way cautiously through the main room and into the garden where the most motley group she had ever lain eyes on variously stood, sat and perched.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 05-11-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
orithil
Captain Jack

"yah" yelled Hedrim Valdaes as he hurried his black mare.
Hedrim rounded another corner and down a path, there he saw a small house he pulled the letter out of his cloak (it was very difficult because he insisted on wearining that silk cloak wherever he went) and held it up in front of his face "ahh yes this should, be it" he rode foward and dismounted.
He knocked on the door.

Last edited by orithil : 10-12-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #16
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Eventualy the Hermit Ferrin arived, unfortatly the door would not open for him

So insted he tried many things untill he finaly scaled the door itself and droped down on the other side.
Thankfully while he was very old he was still very tough and falling from that unknown hight (I'm guessing 9 feet maybe?) did not harm him any more that a bit of a jolt.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

The moment his feet touched the ground the door (of course) opened, admitting Hedrim, who had watched the Hermit's progress with fascination.
"Sorry about that, dears," Haldis emerged from the kitchen, carrying the promised tea, and looking rather sheepish about the delay in getting the door open, "Water was about to boil over, you know how it is... the rest are just through here, you're right on time. Go on and leave the door open."
Haldis led the two men out into the garden and set the tray on a handy stump before taking a seat herself, near to Radagast. The interior was the dwelling was as clean as a wizard's house could be expected to be, the tea was made and now she fully intended to find out what business these clearly foreign (except for Truor, and he was just as strange) people were doing descending upon the wizard all at once like this.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #18
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim cleared his throat "I am Herdrim Valdaes, I am the lord of the north and have come here after a letter summoning me, it was from gandalf but now Radagast I find you instead, please would you care to explain why we are all here or are we waiting for some more....guests?"

Hedrim slumpted back down into his chair finding it a bit difficult with all the armour he was wearing.

"Oh, i have sent my horse round the back to feed, is that okay...?"

Old 10-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #19
YayGollum
Enting

Truor, looking increasingly uncomfortable as more people arrived, edged away from the others. When tea arrived, though, he glared at a few as he made his way to it. Grabbing a cup, he bobbed his head at Haldis respectfully. "Ah, what is going on, lady? Is there some danger? These people don't look like they're just here to learn from old Radagast!"

Blossomshade wiggled her toes at those who approached her, and sometimes made faces or twitched an ominous finger at someone who got too close, but mostly she just cackled to herself about how silly these little dressed up people looked. Knockondor concentrated on attempting to make himself look as dashing and impressive as possible, almost forgetting why he was there.

- Myself

Last edited by YayGollum : 10-13-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:04 AM   #20
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis shrugged, "If there's danger, I'd have known about it and it's as safe in these parts as it ever is. I have the feeling that our Radagast has been meddled with, though perhaps not unwillingly."

To this Radagast smiled behind his beard and judged the time appropriate to speak, there were still some to arrive of course, but it'd do no harm to let those here know a little of why they were here. He turned first to the two Beornings, they hadn't been summoned, but perhaps that was all the better,
"There is indeed no danger," he assured his friends, " you've stumbled into the first meeting for a quest, for which the rest of you were summoned courtesy of my old colleague, Gandalf. I'll say but a little for now. There are still more of you to come."

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-13-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Closed Thread