Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Gandalf we must be graterful for peter jackson

some people just dont know when to stop critisizing the lord of the rings movies, it makes me furious! (hi, im furious, whats your name?) it makes me want to make them choke on a rock ( the one peter jackson throws in his cameo at helms deep is the perfect size) cant people see that he's doing it right? i mean who would be better than peter jackson? that idiot who did harry potter and sorcerers idiot? he cant even adapt a novel meant for kids! ( personally i hate harry idiot, and i'd flush his wand down the toilet if i could, as for j.k spalding(rowling, i know) she should be guloutined and her head put on a post( kind of like in braveheart).
to conclude my complaint against complaints i qoute bilbo( even though its not very relevent to what im saying).

not all those who wander are lost

postscript: i've read the lord of the rings four times(and the hobbit too) so you cant say im not lord of the rings educated.
-hectorberlioz

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 06-23-2003 at 06:00 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

There's a person on this board I'm sure you would like very much. His name's Black Breathalizer, BB for short. You can find him on the 'Capturing Tolkien's vision vs. a Literal Interpretation' thread, this forum, which is currently being boycotted by all right-minded Mooters.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 06-23-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Lot's of mooters like the movies! We might not get as wound up as BB, but I am NOT a "Purist"!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Elf Girl, you forgot to mention the "Peter Jackson is God" and "Jackson has Improved Tolkien" threads.

Anyway, I am a Tolkienite. And I don't mean I like to read the books. I don't mean that I am fond of them. I am absolutely in love with Tolkien's works. I am fascinated by and deeply admirable of him as a person. Tolkien is, in essence, my role model. I believe that he was the greatest author of this Century. My deepest passions are twain; the one is my faith, and the other is Tolkien (not necessarily in that order ). I am fanatical about Tolkien's works. I also believe very, very strongly in the Sanctity of Creation; that is, that there is a bond between an artist and his masterpiece, something which should be regarded with the utmost respect. To me, the masterpiece is the artist's, and nothing can ever change that. And when I see that someone has no respect for the wishes of an artist regarding his own work, it causes me to "glower", and begrudge this disrespect. When I see such disrespect regarding the work of Tolkien, the man in whose footsteps I wish to tread, It makes me upset. When I see the plaudit and wholehearted approval of some (read: BB) for this disrespect, when I see them say that this disrespect has improved upon the (in my opinion) perfection of Tolkien's works, and is better than them, when they say that it is a spectacular adaptation of his works, this infuriates me.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're above-average (if overly Hollywoodized) movies, though I would not apply the term great, or even "good" in the deepest sense to them. But as adaptations, I don't like them. At all.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
hectorberlioz

just remember

all of you that have posted,attention please, i would like to say that i myself have problems with the movies, just not large ones, but when you criticise someone who is intrepreting the lord of the rings into movies( not easy, interpreting i mean) mostly doing it right, you yourself are being disrespectful to that person, the artist. just remember tolkien did finnally sell the rights to a certain director, who gave up for the most part and made a cartoon. i apoligize for being too harsh ( though i still believe what i said).
i myself am someone who respects the sanctity of an artists and his creation.
postscript: ( i still want to skewer harry idiot, if youre wondering).
-hectorberlioz(the man who started this thread)

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 06-23-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:52 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem

The majority of it is not interpretation. The interpretation, I have no problem with. It's the flat-out changes that get me. I mean, surely Jackson doesn't think that "Glorfindel" is code for "Arwen"?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-23-2003, 08:56 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

I agree wholeheartedly with Gwaimir.

Quote:
mostly doing it right
It's a matter of opinion, you know. Is turning Faramir into Boromir 'doing it right'?

Quote:
you yourself are being disrespectful to that person, the artist.
Jackson was not the artist who created LotR. That was Tolkien. Jackson was the one who weakly copied LotR in a different medium. I don't call that art; it is not original.

Quote:
just remember tolkien did finnally sell the rights to a certain director, who gave up for the most part and made a cartoon.
How is that relevant?

Quote:
i still want to skewer harry idiot, if youre wondering
Please keep that to the HP forum, and kindly be respectful to those who enjoy HP, as we are being respectful to you who enjoy the LotR movies.

Note: being disrespectful to true Tolkien purists, such as saying you would like to choke us on a rock, is not a way to gain support on this board. Also we take people who can spell and use correct punctuation more seriously.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:05 PM   #8
hectorberlioz

I sorry

sorry for bieng an idiot. i dont want people to choke on a rock, I was just wanting to 'experiment'. The reminder that tolkien sold rights to a loser filmaker is implying that someone else tried and failed and that peter jackson is doing better. I'll try to improve my punctuation and attitude in the future. sorry.
-asking forgiveness, yours truly, hectorberlioz
Old 06-23-2003, 09:09 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem

I didn't think you actually wanted us to choke on a rock.

I was afraid that Luhtarian here would have scared you off, but I'm glad to see that you don't just leave.

As far as I'm concerned, 100% forgiven. It's always good to see someone who will apologize. Sometimes, it seems like they're a dying breed.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-23-2003, 09:12 PM   #10
hectorberlioz

I'm sorry for bad attitude

Sorry for bieng an idiot. I dont want people who dont favor the movies to choke on a rock'. The reminder that tolkien sold rights to a loser filmaker is implying that someone else tried and failed and that peter jackson is doing better. I'll try to improve my punctuation and attitude in the future. sorry.
Postscript: Even thought i hate hp, i ask forgiveness from those who do.
Another postscript: i was bieng extremely immature for my age, criticising, i do too much of it.
Yet another postscript: please continue to read my posts, they are not criticising.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:16 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

ACK! ... must... not ... flame.... must ... not... get ... banned.... *struggles with self not to post something extremely rude*....
************************self edited******************
AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #12
Gwaimir Windgem

Now, now Ruinel, he did apologise; I don't think it's necessary to get so out of shape when he asked for forgiveness.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-23-2003, 09:30 PM   #13
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Oh don't mind her. Her knickers are all bent out of shape cos she still hasn't played the new Tomb Raider.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 PM   #14
Ruinel
Banned

Re: I sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
sorry for bieng an idiot. ....-asking forgiveness, yours truly, hectorberlioz
...errrrrr.... *straightens knickers and pulls them out of her crack* ...OK... forgiven!.... don't let it happen again!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:49 AM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ahhh....Why do you hate Harry Potter?
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #16
Elf Girl
Lurker

Re: I sorry

Quote:
sorry for bieng an idiot. i dont want people to choke on a rock, I was just wanting to 'experiment'. The reminder that tolkien sold rights to a loser filmaker is implying that someone else tried and failed and that peter jackson is doing better. I'll try to improve my punctuation and attitude in the future. sorry.
*clears throat* Forgiven. Sorry if I almost scared you off there, as Gwaimir mentioned. I happen to adore 'harry idiot', so calling him that was not a way to endear yourself to me.

Ruinel flames when she's angry, I get civil but cold when angry. I also apologise. (I already scared off Legolaslvr! this way. Glad to see you're staying.)

Like I said, I'm sure BB would be grateful if you joined him in his Jackson is God capaign.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:23 AM   #17
straight_face
Enting

Re: we must be graterful for peter jackson

Quote:
[ ...she should be guloutined and her head put on a post( kind of like in braveheart). [/B]

Braveheart's my great, great + uncle.

Anyway, it gets you nowhere talking badly about J.K. Rowling. In her own way she is a talented author and you should respect that some people love and adore her writings. Heck, many people absolutely hate the Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson, and even Tolkien. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Even I don't get enough of it.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #18
hectorberlioz

Gandalf tradition

I have already apoligized, please dont bombard me with hate. I myself am related to a certain person who is related to so on and traces back to someone who faught with william wallace, so no offence meant, only example. -hectorberlioz
Old 06-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #19
straight_face
Enting

Hey, I'm not blaming you. I don't even read the previous posts. I just write down my opinion after I read the main post.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:31 PM   #20
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Re: we must be graterful for peter jackson

Quote:
cant people see that he's doing it right?
No.

Quote:

i mean who would be better than peter jackson? that idiot who did harry potter and sorcerers idiot? he cant even adapt a novel meant for kids! ( personally i hate harry idiot, and i'd flush his wand down the toilet if i could, as for j.k spalding(rowling, i know) she should be guloutined and her head put on a post( kind of like in braveheart).
I believe it would be easier ask it the other way around:

Question: who wouldn’t be better than PJ?

Answer: Ed Wood (probably, maybe......).

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Peter Jackson on The Today Show, December 5, 2002
Nazgul King Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote