Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

The damnation of Gollum

The proposition is that Gollum subjects himself to his own damnation, both literally and figuratively.

There is no doubt that Gollum’s first promise to serve Frodo was made under duress. From Two Towers, “The Taming of Sméagol”,
Quote:
…Frodo sprang up, and drew Sting from its sheath. With his left hand he drew back Gollum's head by his thin lank hair, stretching his long neck, and forcing his pale venomous eyes to stare up at the sky.

“Let go! Gollum,” he said. “This is Sting. You have seen it before once upon a time. Let go, or you'll feel it this time! I'll cut your throat.”

“Sméagol,” said Gollum suddenly and clearly, opening his eyes wide and staring at Frodo with a strange light. “Sméagol will swear on the Precious.”

Frodo drew himself up... “On the Precious? How dare you?” he said. “Think!
One Ring to rule them all and in the Darkness bind them.
Would you commit your promise to that, Sméagol? It will hold you. But it is more treacherous than you are. It may twist your words. Beware!”

“We promises, yes I promise!” said Gollum. “I will serve the master of the Precious. Good master, good Sméagol, gollum, gollum!”
Promises made under duress are not binding among law-abiding folk, though the power in the One Ring might take little head of that, since it was not from a being who could be counted in any way “among law-abiding folk.” In the aftermath, however, even Sméagol Gollum clearly considered the promise binding, and said so himself. Sam heard the debate between Sméagol (“Slinker”) and the Ring-possessed Gollum (“Stinker”) in the pit in Dagorlad near the end of “The Passage of the Marshes” before they reached the Black Gate, and both sides of Gollum’s schizoid personality (see United States National Institutes of Health, “A precious case from Middle Earth”, Bashir et, al., British Medical Journal Dec 18, 2004) accepted the promise as binding.

In his encounter with Faramir (near the end of “The Forbidden Pool”), Faramir reinforced the promise,
Quote:
[Faramir said,] “And now, do you take this creature, this Sméagol, under your protection?”

“I do take Sméagol under my protection,” said Frodo. …

“Then I say to you,” said Faramir, turning to Gollum, “you are under doom of death; but while you walk with Frodo you are safe for our part. Yet if ever you be found by any man of Gondor astray without him, the doom shall fall. And may death find you swiftly, within Gondor or without, if you do not well serve him. …”
Finally, attacking Sam at the exit from “Shelob’s Lair”, Gollum gloated,
Quote:
O yes, Shelob will get him [Frodo], not Sméagol: he promised; he won't hurt Master at all.
However, there is another consideration. Before entering Torech Ungol (Shelob’s Lair), Frodo sets Gollum free. In other words, if Gollum pursues or seeks to harm Frodo directly or indirectly, he does so of his own volition. At the end of “The Stairs of Cirith Ungol”,
Quote:
[Frodo said, “W]e … have come to the point … Sméagol. … Can we find the rest of the way by ourselves? We're in sight of the pass, of a way in, and if we can find it now, then I suppose our agreement can be said to be over. You have done what you promised, and you're free: free to go back to food and rest, wherever you wish to go, except to servants of the Enemy. And one day I may reward you, I or those that remember me.”

“No, no, not yet,” Gollum whined. “O no! They can't find the way themselves, can they? O no indeed. There's the tunnel coming. Sméagol must go on. No rest. No food. Not yet.”
Three times Gollum is doomed to the promise, I argue, and three times he accepts it.

The promise is accepted three times:
  1. In the Emyn Muil, when the promise is made under duress;
  2. In Dagorlad, when both of Gollum’s personalities accept the promise as binding (the debate Sam overhears); and
  3. At the top of Cirith Ungol, when Gollum, gloating over Sam (whom he thinks he is about to murder) repeats his vow.
The three dooms are these:
  1. In the Emyn Muil, when the promise is made under duress;
  2. Before Faramir, who imposes a second injunction, a curse, “may death find you swiftly, within Gondor or without, if you do not well serve him.”
  3. At the entrance to Torech Ungol, when freed from following Frodo and Sam, Gollum chooses of his own free will to follow them in order to murder them both, using Shelob as his weapon.
Of these dooms, I think the worst is the last: Frodo set Gollum free, but Gollum refused the opportunity and sought to murder him anyway.

What says the ’Moot? Do you agree? does it matter? do you care?

(As an aside, I further argue that Faramir’s malediction is strongly akin to Isildur’s malediction upon the Dead Men of Dunharrow, who broke their vow and refused to fight Sauron, dooming them to undeath until they fulfilled their vow.)

Last edited by Alcuin : 03-02-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote