Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Male and Female Writers

Do you think men and women write differently (fiction or non-fiction) and if so, in what ways?

And do you prefer one to the other?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Not me. I've read from some excellent authors, male and female. I don't think there's anything inherent in one type that gives them an extra edge . Though I know the question could be taken differently, to say men and women may have different natural abilities or tendencies.

Have you noticed any such things in writing?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 08-27-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I was just curious as to what people thought, really. I've heard some people say that they think men and women use imagery differently, have different approaches to characters, etc. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

I'll try and think of some examples...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I haven't read many female writers, but I found no differences inherent to gender when it came to writing. I'd think that female writers would tend to use "dreamy" imagery and metaphors from nature. However, I don't think that holds for all women writers (nor the opposite hold for male writers). I think that the main factor influencing a writer is his/her own personal experience, regardless of gender.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I find that male writers tend to be a bit more matter-of-fact, which is important in the genre of sci-fi. Having said that, I tend to read mainly male writers.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Not any more than one male author to another.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I believe that, unless the author is very good, characterization might be able to "give it away." It would obviously be easier to write a realistic point of view of a character who is the same gender as you are. I haven't seen too much of this, though, because I try to read only good books.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I acutally do think that Male and Female authors tend to write differently. Having read hundreds of different authors, spanning both sexes and all genres, I've noticed that, as BoP said, men tend to be more fact-oriented, and more concrete, and women tend to go off on all these little details and flowery embellishments. Men also tend to focus more on the active aspects of the story, wheras women tend to focus more on the passive and reactive aspects.

I generally prefer men's writing to women's, but many of my favorite works have been written in collaboration between the two - The Eddingses, for example.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
[QUOTE=Wayfarer]Men also tend to focus more on the active aspects of the story, wheras women tend to focus more on the passive and reactive aspects.QUOTE]

Which, when you thinka bout it, seems strange, since men are supposedly more "visually oriented." Ultimately this isn't true, though...so...yeah. This post was a tad pointless.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:36 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
I acutally do think that Male and Female authors tend to write differently. Having read hundreds of different authors, spanning both sexes and all genres, I've noticed that, as BoP said, men tend to be more fact-oriented, and more concrete, and women tend to go off on all these little details and flowery embellishments. Men also tend to focus more on the active aspects of the story, wheras women tend to focus more on the passive and reactive aspects.
Wayfarer!! *gives ickle diddicums a big hugsy wugsy*

Yeah, you kinda put it more clearly than I did. I think that's why I generally tend to gravitate towards male writers, and the various sci-fi sub-genres, because of that matter-of-fact style, with its lack of "flowery embellishments". Having said that, oftentimes, the fantasy genre can tend to be the male writer equivalent of a mills and boons romance or something. Honestly.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-22-2004 at 10:40 PM. Reason: grocer's apostrophe. heh.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Wayfarer!! *gives ickle diddicums a big hugsy wugsy*
Eep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
Which, when you thinka bout it, seems strange, since men are supposedly more "visually oriented."
I do think that there is some correlation. 'Visually Oriented' translates into 'things you can see', which can probably explain why we tend more towards the concrete and factual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
...I generally tend to gravitate towards male writers, and the various sci-fi sub-genres, because of that matter-of-fact style, with its lack of "flowery embellishments". Having said that, oftentimes, the fantasy genre can tend to be the male writer equivalent of a mills and boons romance or something. Honestly.
No Kidding.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:54 AM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

In his last novel, Timequake, Kurt Vonnegut makes a distinction between what he calls "swoopers" and "bashers." Swoopers, which he associates primarily (but not exclusively) to women writers, let everything go in a downpour of words, then go back and revise. Bashers, which he claims are predominantly men, perfect every sentence or paragraph before proceeding to the next.

Take that for what you will. For me, the difference lies primarily in writer's voice, the portrayal of the genders, and perhaps even the predominance of one gender over another in the work itself.

Particularly skilled writers know how to blur the line and emulate the opposite sex, which makes their characters all the more believable. Unless it's in the first person, of course, in which case they are perfectly within their bounds to work with a limited understanding of the human condition.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:28 AM   #13
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

It depends on the writer, but I do think there's some slight patterns, but they aren't always followed. Anyways, here are some of the things I noticed:

Women:
  • are more likely to have a female main character than male writers, but write about both genders.
  • are more likely to have romance... either as the main story or a sub-plot (though men write romance too... Tolkien for example wrote quite a few in LotR and in Sil )
  • Often have more detail
Men:
  • usually have a male main character
  • have more action, and often more battle scenes etc.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:06 PM   #14
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
In his last novel, Timequake, Kurt Vonnegut makes a distinction between what he calls "swoopers" and "bashers." Swoopers, which he associates primarily (but not exclusively) to women writers, let everything go in a downpour of words, then go back and revise. Bashers, which he claims are predominantly men, perfect every sentence or paragraph before proceeding to the next
Ok ok so I get published occasionaly with non-fiction articles, science related and quite boring to anyone outside my profession. But I've writen a book recently and have started another and I must say that without a doubt . . . I'm a swooper. So, what does "IT ALL MEAN" ???

I think it's more fun to spill a story out and edit it afterwards with other authors and good beer.

Well, my favorite authors are men, but it may be that women are not overly published in SciFi or it is a genre that attracts few of us.

I've also noticed that while there are some very funny female writers they are few and far between to getting themselves published. (they're all online on these boards, instead! ).

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote