Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Fellowship of the ringwraiths discussion thread

Well apologies to anyone who was awaiting my first thread to be about clowns, crowns or big ears etc but here it is: born out of necessity: it is the

Fellowship of the Ringwraiths discussion thread

an RPG that more than any other will need a discussion thread!

Let battle and wit and witty battle and fun, games and cutting edge controversy commence. Cry havoc and let loose the wraiths of hazard!

Hum along all:
" Just the good ol' boys... never meaning no harm!"

Please feel free to view the relavant threads for relevance: please check with Gordis and CS and also Olmer and TD and Lotesse many others etc as to details but i see this being an interesting fast-paced mix of humour, alternative history and serious (in- context of the rpg of course) wraith centred alternate history of the search for the ring

i look forward specifically to the last two books and gordis's PJ-style direction here (i am relying on our erstwhile producer Crazy squirrel here for some serious objective input and counter balance)

Look forward to your input here all: how do you want us to start Gordis / crazy squirrel?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanks for opening this thread, Butterbeer!

I was bold enough to post the beginning. It looks like Crazy Squirrel is not online. Or is she invisible? Are you there CS?

I am sorry if it is not as funny as I wanted it to be. But anyway, please, continue!
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

you kidding? thats a cracker of a start!

Excellent

i'm going to try to insert anything topical (or not ) from other threads as much as i can so will now introduce an email from ask gollum - please let me know ( by email of course) if theres a problem with this appraoch.

best
BB
Old 05-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanks for your compliment on the beginning, Butterbeer.
I liked your part also. Nice and funny. I think we can adjust the styles later to make it more uniform. I have a feeling that we should keep the modern days things to a minimum, and the language more standard, otherwise it will be too like the Lyrd thread. Moreover, I will not be able to keep up, as English is not even my second language.

I am postuing another piece, that I have written while you were typing yours. So the styles are different. And I have problem with Ringwraith's names.
I used temporary names:
1- WK
2-Khamul
3-Gothmog
4- Mor
5-
6- Lily
7 -Gor
8 -
9 - Vin
And I made Lil, Gor and Vin girls. I don't think there were any female nazgul, but I feel it will be funnier that way. You have to be Tolkien to make adventures of a 100 percent male fellowship interesting.

But if you disagree, we can change that.
Best,
Gordis
Old 06-01-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Maybe we could have one of them as just 'Number 8' or 'Number 5'. They could keep moaning that Sauron never named them etc. What do you think?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:20 AM   #6
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Good idea TD: could be much scope there: also its true we do not know their names so we should investigate this!

Yuo're right Gordis i was thinking the same: we should avoid going down the Lyrd route: this is a new and different RPG: and will take more resaerch perhaps in some places, though it can be light and funny too.

Like the idea of some chicks on the cruise! Plenty of scope for writing in some long delays setting off!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:54 AM   #7
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Great Butterbeer and TD. The style is perfect. Loved this Lily-Gor chat.

About names.
I think we can name most of them as I proposed if you liked that. Any comments are appreciated.
And it's a good idea to leave some unnamed. I can even see the good reason for it: their true Easterling names were impossible to pronounce for numenoreans, so they went by numbers.

I feel Gothmog and Mordocar (both numenoreans) may be buddies.

Khamul is up to you, TD, I feel you like him!

Crazy Squirrel, I hope you will not feel offended that I used this "I am a crasy black squirrel" thing about Lily. I will remove it if you don't like it.
Actually I like Lily a lot already. Too preoccupied with dresses and such, but a kind old soul.

Perhaps Lily could arrange the com-pu-tir to be taken to the other side along with the horses and raiment as a surprize for Gor? Because of course they can carry nothing when going around unclad and invisible. No shoes even! Ugh! And how to sleep naked on bare ground? And if it rains?

What about Viv the ninth? Will she be shy and romantic?

Last edited by Gordis : 06-01-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:07 AM   #8
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Butterbeer, about the boating trip. Most are supposed to fear water like hell. Khamul more than the others. So boating trip is unlikely. But plenty of fun ashore. Could they find strawberries in Lorien?
All that after they get their horses and things, of course. The begginning I believe should be miserable. They are unclad and too near from the Eye.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Fellowship characters

1- The Witch-King of Angmar, Lord of Morgul (Wikkie)
Note: The Captain of the Fellowship, former Numenorean King Tar-Ciryatan , the strongest of the Nine, sorceror, no phobias.
2- Khamul, The Shadow of the East, Lord of Dol Guldur
Note: most afflicted by water-phobia, daylight-phobia etc. But feels the Ring keenly
3- Gothmog (Goth) Leutenant of Morgul
Note: Numenorean, pedantic one
4- Mordacar (Mor) assigned to DolGuldur
Note: Numenorean, Gothmog's best friend
5- Buzukkumarz simply called "Five" as he dislikes his name being shortened.
Note: likes wine and silly pranks
6- Lilaenwen (Lily) also called the Squirrel
Note: Loves dresses and trinkets
7- Gordis (Gor)
Note: happy user of the com'u-Tir, the serious one.
8- Haradmurath simply called "Eight" as he dislikes his name being shortened
Note: In his mortal life he was a famous Rhûn temple priest, sorcerer and healer. He is the best torturer among the nine
9 -Viniglaen (Vin)
Note: the shy and romantic one

6,7,9 are girls.
Any corrections and ideas most welcome!

Last edited by Gordis : 06-02-2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Updating characters
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

can i be one :sweet smile: ?

and as a rather interesting aside, perhaps 7 (as a female) could be similar to ST:Voyager Seven of Nine?

if i am being really stupid, jus tell me to shut up
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain

I think we are controlling all charcters between us Chrys, but I may be wrong.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #12
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
can i be one :sweet smile: ?
Sure, I would be happy if you join! WELCOME! even sweeter smile...

\There is still a possibility to modify the characters and their names according to your wishes. That would be great if you can provide some backup story for any of them.

As for no7 I called myself that because
1. I am a she
2. in the ICE games the 7 th nazgul was a female - Adunaphel. Tolkien of course meant nothing like that.

To All

It seems to me that we have no possibility to make a real RPG with this, I mean "One participant- one role" it looks more like an interactive writing project.
Everyone is welcome to come and continue the story. But please, follow the guidlines and the style proposed.

Please post your ideas in this tread or just continue the main one.

Now I believe there should be the Battle of Osgiliath scene (ref: Boromir at the Counsil of Elrond). And the unclad invisible nazgul passed to the other side before the bridges were destroyed by Boromir.

Last edited by Gordis : 06-01-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well maybe Wikkie could punt up the river and the rest have pooh-stick games ( i was going to say model boats but remembered that wouldn't be appropriate)

welcome last child: the rules of this gig are still bubbling around in the firmament a little but it'll be more wierd than lyrds in terms of creativity yet strangely truer in terms of ME investigative journalism: imagine Oliver Stone meets Michael Moore meets treebeard meets that watergate FBI bloke meets the good ol' boys ( and girls)

you'll need to read up a little on Olmer, gordis et al in the various threads: we will be the knitting vortex of thread evolution!

Gor: well as it starts - interactive writing project yes, but it could go into a semi or 3/4 RPG as it progresses just one with a multiple thread and plot-lines and therefore narrators: we'll just have to see on that one: if you want it to be first person you could maybe do it but it would slow it all down and tend to limit it? can we try and see what works first and keep the flow and add to it as it goes along?

Wheres our lazy erstwhile producer Lily BTW? ( i mean CS) : blowing up walnuts in the Andes or what? making Manchurian marmalade in Mirkwood?

Put out a Moot APB!

BTW Gordis: it'd be helpful while we start if you could pop down some sort of timescale of events to orient oursleves to where we are! ( i'm sure it won't be controversial! )

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-01-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
Telcontar_Dunedain

We could have a Wikkie Boromir fight. I'll post it but, if all disagree then I'll remove it.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #15
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Fine, TD! Nice fight and I liked Sau's "piece of jewellery hint".
I dont understand though why they had to walk unclad to Osgiliath? And why it took a week from Morgul to Osg. I thought they rode there in one night and there left the horses and robes and continued on foot. Don't forget Sau's Eye works well at short distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
well maybe Wikkie could punt up the river and the rest have pooh-stick games ( i was going to say model boats but remembered that wouldn't be appropriate)
If you ask me, I suggest to keep silliness to a minimum. All of them save the WK fear water (What about washing though?). Let's describe a hard journey in difficult environment (lots of streams to cross, rain, thorns in bare feet etc). I opt for an epic and gothic style. But the situations will inevitably be funny.

Quote:
Gor: well as it starts - interactive writing project yes, but it could go into a semi or 3/4 RPG as it progresses just one with a multiple thread and plot-lines and therefore narrators: we'll just have to see on that one: if you want it to be first person you could maybe do it but it would slow it all down and tend to limit it? can we try and see what works first and keep the flow and add to it as it goes along?
Yes you are right, I agree completely. I am against first person writing because there will be some unreliable members. Where is CS, really? Perhaps she will not be happy to be Lily. And as for myself, I am afraid I will not be able to participate on a regular basis, although I am strongly attracted to this story.

I think we will be happy if we can attract The Last Child and Lotesse. Olmer? Our spiritual leader is always welcome.

Quote:
BTW Gordis: it'd be helpful while we start if you could pop down some sort of timescale of events to orient oursleves to where we are! (i'm sure it won't be controversial! )
They crossed the bridge on July 1 3018 "passed slowly and in stealth, through Anórien (east Gondor with farmhouses and gardens), and over the Entwade, (lets make it July 12) and so into the Wold, and rumour of darkness and a dread of men knew not what went before them. They reached the west-shores of Anduin a little north of Sarn Gebir, as they had trysted; and there received horses and raiment that were secretly ferried over the River (July 17).

Don't forget that the crossing of every puddle let alone a big river (like Entwade) is a problem. Sauron had to attack Osgiliath just to let the nazgul cross the Anduin by the bridge.
By daylight they normally stray when left alone (or sleep under the nearest tree).

I believe we reserve strawberries and vine for the next stage- the merry ride up and down the Vales.

Now we face 12 days journey through Gondor.

Now
We are on July1, 3018

July 2
The miserable day
Then we will have a storm from those clouds in the west. Poor usss!

Do you like it?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #16
Telcontar_Dunedain

I only had them unclad because I forgot they needed to be clad to fight. I can change it if you wish?

Old 06-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Yes, please, TD and make it a swift trip by supersonic horses

What do you think of my bit?

Now who takes the storm?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #18
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

oh where to start?

Firstly : telcontar i don't have a hat but if i did, (well i do but not to hand) in fact i just don't even have anywhere near enough hats, but if so i'd take them ALL off to you: superb!

Wikkie and the temptation of the ring!

Boromir the 1st!

ETC!

clearly superb!

Forgive me Gordis i have forgotten everything else just now: in the words of Boromir the chronologically uncommitred (from our nightly nine POV) "i'll be back!"

great stuff all!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #19
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis

If you ask me, I suggest to keep silliness to a minimum. All of them save the WK fear water (What about washing though?). Let's describe a hard journey in difficult environment (lots of streams to cross, rain, thorns in bare feet etc). I opt for an epic and gothic style. But the situations will inevitably be funny.

Do you like it?

Firstly i like it a lot. good stuff!

With regard to the above quote: yes i kind of agree, but i think it important to retain some silliness: not for the sake of it but from historical accuracy with regard to how this 'one RPG to rule them all, one RPG to Bind them, one RPg to take them all (various threads) ... and in the wraith like darkness bind them ... all began:
its a unique (IMHO) mix of theory , threads, links and posts, wraith alternate history, compositing of theories and fun, cross thread enjoyment and thought with exciting possibilities... redirected with some panache by earniel as it was both good and off-subject, hence this rpg!

i do pretty much agree with you and am happy to follow your lead on it but i do feel at this stage we should be careful not to clamp too stringent contsraints on this wonderful fusion too early, to my mind this whole adventure began from your excellent repost to crazy squirrel and the fellowship of the ringwraiths post - it IS a mix of the funny and off the cuff posts and the alternate investigative IF threads and others that to my mind make the Moot the place it is ...

started (many thanks to earniel by the way) by the unholy mix wherein the knowledge and debate of yourself, Olmer and Td among many others with crazy squirrel (or lilly ) meet and (hopefully) inspire!

Personally i see it as a strong central core that examines this alternate view both seriously and enjoyably yet acts as a catalyst to bring together the Moot community via cross thread links where appropriate and within such reasonably strong but open-ended guidelines as are formulated in the boromir challenged time-lines of the future, to the betterment of all threads herein.

On water, i think we should respect that but only to a degree where it does not constrict within good guidelines, the necessary flow of the RPG.

As i say i'm more than happy to take yours and (if the lazy crazy squirrel can be coaxed down from it's nut filled tree! ) Cs's lead on this!

carry on wraithing all.

best BB

BTW: i could be wrong but TD went over the bridge and you went under it???? isn't there water down there?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:49 AM   #20
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Hi, Butterbeer.

Wonderful post, I agree entirely with your POV on this RPG!

Quote:
BTW: i could be wrong but TD went over the bridge and you went under it???? isn't there water down there?
Why? I wrote: "They run like a wind over the bridge" and collapsed on the other side, on the West bank!

Best
Gordis