Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2002, 12:39 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The Offical LOTR is out...

The Offical LOTR game is out. ( second week of august)

a review is here

http://www.guildcompanion.com/

the offical site is here

www.decipher.com

the have a character on-line now

make sure you are in the LOTR RPG section and NOT the Card game or adventure game

check out the message board too.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 12:51 PM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

this site is also helpful

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotrrp...yguid=64408579

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-06-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

they have now posted a few more pages plus a sample character

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-07-2002, 04:57 AM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

with the info gathered from all the previews I've started my intitial character

the stats will be given below

Since I tend to play characters similar to me, I like elves, I HATE munchkins (power gamers), and I wanna stay "close" to tolkien's world, I've come up with the idea of :

Baranavar ( sindarin for brown/golden brown avari)

Thus I can be "dark" of skin, an elf, not be an uber Noldor and still fit it in to the Professor's world.

I've 3 current ideas (and more are welcome)as how to get southron moriquendi into NW ME.

1) eonwe at the end of the 1st age reissued the summons to Aman. A group of Southron Moriquendi could have left their homeland in the far south and decided to settle in NW ME.

2) in one tolkien's last letters on th Blue Wizards he decided that they did NOT fail. They came to ME with Glorfindel around SA 1600. Maybe when Gil-galad sent a call to arms a small force trained by one of the Blue wizard could have joined the allaince and settled in NW ME after the war.

3)In the hobbit it mentions that the elven king gets his wine from distant kinsfolk to the south. It could just be my Baranavar

again any other suggestions are welcome

for the stats i used method 1, role 9 times and subtract the lowest 3 ( roll 2d6)

my nine rolls were
1 six, 3 sevens,two tens, and 3 elevens

dropping the lowest 3 i get

7 10 10 11 11 11
Oh yes I am ecstatic

add adding the silvan elf bonuses

i get the following

str 7
vit 10
wit 10
br 12
nim 12
per 13

as far as what class I need to wait for more info. But looking at the sample character and what I've gathered I can be a warrior and still have arts
( magic) I just need to see if I'd be "better" as a warrior with arts or a mage with fighting skills. Loremaster is a order i might take some ranks in.

As for why he adventures, to escape his lovelorn heart. ( i'll detail later when the games fully out)

i'm not sure what the edges and flaws are but I think i'll make him non musical. i don;t not if that gives me extra points or anything. ( doesn't matter either way) I'll blame it on his broken soul.

that's it for now.

i'd like your thoughts and prelimary character ideas

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-07-2002, 05:17 AM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

OOPS that site is

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotrrpg_coda

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-07-2002, 11:10 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

someone's reply
>>Baranavar ( sindarin for brown/golden brown avari)
>
>Er, no. Note that "avar" (pl. "avari") is a Quenya word meaning ""recusant, one who refuses to act as advised or commanded". In Sindarin, "ava" means "to refuse", so a wild guess would give us the word "avadir": "the one who refuses".

Yes you are correct with avar being quenya. my bad
>
>"Baran", correctly, is "brown", but:
>
>>Thus I can be "dark" of skin, an elf, not be an uber Noldor and still fit it in to the Professor's world.
>
>I'm not sure about that one. All elves are described by Tolkien as pale; I take it to mean that they have white skin -- not "pink" as Caucasian peoples do, but even paler, close to the paper-white.

I would respond as ( varied thoughts, NOT antagonistic, and JUST of the top of my head)

>
>However, If I was your GM, I'd allow you to have brown or dark skin, but it would be caused by some kind of curse or other magic, which you were subject to during past ages in the East, maybe even fighting Sauron himself.

1) tolkien mentioned that the avari tribes were the most varied of all the elves.
2) the tales dealt with NW ME. As the professor was trying to create a mythology for Europe. So he wouldn't focus on other ethnic groups.
3) the idea of faeries, are in most cultures and they and they often look like the native people
4)the hobbit and LOTR were written from the " hobbit" point of view. So they probably didn't have all the info.

5) Your magic thing could work

6)in "the Book of Lost Tales" we can find a Maia character named Tu (or Tuve) responsible for “civilizing” the Avari.) this "old mythology" character could have had a hand in the darkening of the avari don't know how just

7) A 2nd group of 1st born could have awakened at another location.

And the names I'd suggest would be "Baranel" "Brown Elf"

Baranel it is. Thanks

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 08-08-2002 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:21 AM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Or simply....I can just get over the color issue and have some fun.

'Dern Helm"