Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2002, 03:02 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Shadows in the East/ discussion

I am CONSIDERING running a game and calling it Shadows in the East.

To give myself and the players some leeway, am considering playing in the east and/or south of ME.

The connection to would ME would be that the Blue Wizards are ( or were) around.

With the premises that they went east to aid the free peoples of that region against the Shadows.

There were 7 houses of Dwarf fathers, so Dwarves are fine just none of Durins line.

I will assume that men and hobbits BOTH awoke in hildorien so they are available. But no Dunedain.

the elves woke in the East, and the avari stayed or migrated later, so you can be an elf but only an avari.

I would like to add this is my 1st time running as i usally am a PnP ( pen and paper) gamer and as a PC.( player character)

Due to this I would like to keep the numbers relatively low.

I will GLADLY accept SUGGESTIONS on world building. not that I will use them all, so don't feel bad if I decline, but this in my first venture so I will at least listen

All I ask is:

1) to keep it Tolkien-like( this is NOT DnD or the like)

2)no uber-characters ( no you can't be one of the blue wizards)

3) to keep it serious but have fun ( I'm not really into silly gaming)

4) to make this a co-creative process between myself and the players ( see bold face above)

5) not to rush things in the planning stage, so i would like to take my time and with your assistance make a good game.

I'll post more about this if anyone is interested

Thanks afro-elf

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 03-13-2002 at 03:04 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:21 AM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

It IS possible that someone COULD play an elf from the west( noldor,sindar or silvan) or someone of Dundadain descent

I'm consider that when the blue wizards went west they travelled with a group of Western Elves and Dunedain to assist them.

However, you have to convince be why you think you can play it.

here is tolkien's info on the Blue wizards

The blue wizards mission was most probally to aid the lands east of Mordor, Tolkien's early idea was that the Blue Wizards abandoned their mission and started up magic cults that outlasted the fall of Sauron, later Sauron decided that they would become 'Darkness Slayer' and 'East helper' and they stayed faithful to their Mission. The best information on the Blue Istari is the the essay on the Istari in Unfinished tales.

You'll find the info. about Alatar and Pallando as Blue Wizards in Unfinished Tales, Of the Istari. The Blue Wizards as Morinehtar and Romenstámo (or Rome(n)star) can be found in The Peoples of Middle-earth; Late Writings, Last Writings, the Blue Wizards.

The 'other two'( THE BLUE WIZARDS) came much earlier, at the same time probably as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the Second Age [note 26].

Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding place (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.

I'll add my thoughts on how they did this for my campaign a little later

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-13-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
Legolas
Elven Warrior

I have never run a game too, so I dunno what to suggest. But this is my character.

Name: Hawair;
Race: Elf (Mirkwood Silvan - maybe you afro-elf would remain Malathor )
Sex: male;
Appearance: nothing uncommon;
Abilities/disabilities: Can see VERY good, is lethally precise with bow and throwing dagger; cannot run very fast and does not have elvish stamina;
Weaponry(inventory): Silvan bow, many arrows, two daggers, a small throwing dagger (hidden in clothes);
Magic: very very few, but still can heal a bit, and lighten up the darkness;
Languages spoken: Quenya very bad, Silvan (native), Sindar good, Mirkwood guard hand-language very good, common speech a bit.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:07 PM   #4
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

I'd also like to play, but not my usual character. I think I'll go for something new, but give me time to think. I'd like to be an elf, but with this little back-and-forth going on, I'd like to know whether or not we're including Silvans...

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:54 PM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

i don't mind an all elf party

it might be kinda cool

I was thinking of using the east as the setting so we could still be in tolkien's world but have some more freedom to be creative

To nariel:

If the place we'll be in is eastern ME we'll play the elves from there. They will be Avari .The silvan elves are for BASIC purposes avari.

I would prefer it actually.

Legolas

I'm trying to break from western ME. So you can be the same STYLE of character as Hawair. Also you don't have to handicap yourself. You can have very keen sight and still have elven stamina and speed.

Since you guys have written back I'll think of the world in more detail to give you a better idea of the characters you might wanna play.

glad to see you two are interested

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-14-2002, 06:15 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

elven stuff

here's some elven stuff that you might like

ELVES
Elves were the first to awaken and venture onto Middle-earth. They are a graceful and noble race of immortal beings who resemble Men, but shine with an inner glow which betrays the spirit of unique thoughts and gifts. No race has been blessed with more, or cursed so much by the hand of Fate.

Though basically similar to mortal men in many ways, Elves have several important, if subtle differences. As a race they are taller than humans but they are uniformly slender and have less body hair. Elven men have no beards. Fine features and fair, unmarred skin combine with sparkling eyes to give the Elf an enchanted aura. A strange deftness and ease of movement give them a graceful quality and it is not surprising that they are very agile and so light afoot. they leave few traces of their passing and can walk on the surface of freshly fallen snow. Their gentle physical appearance belies great strengths, however, for they are highly resistant to the crippling effects of extreme temperatures, and are immune to disease and illness.

They are also immortal, and age in a graceful, nearly imperceptible manner. Elves can only die from only two causes: through violence, or as a result of a weariness of the world. In the latter case an Elf is simply overcome with grief over the course of time, thereby losing the will to live. All the Elves who pass away are gathered in the Halls of Mandos. the Place a/A waiting, in the far west of Aman (Valinor). There they await the End of the World, or are released back into the world to replace another of their line who has perished. In a sense, Elves are often reborn as descendants of themselves.

The Elves revere the Valar and many know their nature well. Still, they have no formal religion: instead they show their respect through poetry and song and gather to celebrate life and the gifts from on high. This respect for the way of things is largely tied to their acceptance or their close ties to the Fate set down in the Song of Creation, although much of it also stems from an understanding and joy regarding the creations of nature which have been handed down and overseen by the Valar. Above all but Eru they worship Varda, Queen of the Valar and fairest of all creations. She is the bringer of light and they call her “Lady of the Stars”

Elves do not need sleep. instead, they receive rest through meditation involving memories, past events they recall with remarkable
vividness. Normally they go into this trance-like state for approximately two hours each day, although they can function for many days with little or no rclief. While in their meditative state, Elves arc extremely difficult to awaken; they risc at a point previously decided. This manner of rest is in keeping with the Elven fondness for the night. Men have often referred to them as people of the stars with good reason, for Elves see as well on a star-lit evening as a man would at the height of day. Elven sight is ideal for the partial darkness of the shadowy forest or cloudy sky, and allows them a mobility unlike that of any other race. In absolute darkness, however, they suffer as others do; they can not see at all.

Their sense of hearing is also superb, and no doubt accounts for
the Elven skills with music. Their reverence for song Is unparalleled
and has affected thcir language and way of keeping precious records. The Elves were first to use spoken words and have taught the other races of the gift of speech; thus their own name for their kind: “Quendi” — the “Speakers”. All of their speech has a musical quality when spoken properly, lending itself well to verse. Elven Bards, then, have had little trouble in maintaining the histories and epics of their race as a collection of wondrous songs and spoken poetry.

There are two major groupings of Elves in Middle-earth. Their split in the early First Age formed the basis for the development of two separate Elvcn cultures. The most exalted group is the Eldur.
the three kindrcds (No/do,. Vanyar, and telerin) which made the Great Journey across Middle-earth during the First Age. Most settled for a time in Aman (the Undying Lands), or along the shores of now-sunken Belcriartd. Only the Noldor and Sindar (a group of Teleri) remained in Middle-earth following the War of Wrath that ended the First Age. All other folk are called Avari orsilvan Elves.
They are commonly called Wood-elves.
From these cultures came the three groups which form the Elven races of Middle-earth: (1) the Noldor, (2) the Sindar, and (3) the Silvan Elves.

Endurance: tremendous

lifespan: They are immortal and will only die due to violence or if they weary of life and lose the will to liive.
Resistance; They cannot become ill or scarred and are virtually immune to disease.

bonus versus cold attacks.

Special Abilities: No race sees better outside during the darkness of night than the Elves. their vision under moonlight or starlight is as good as a Man’s during the height of day.
In other situations whets there is any light source, Elves can see at least 30’ perfectly and
fairly well up to 100’. Its absolute darkness, however, they are no better than Men (i.e.. they can’t see at all). their heating range is three times the norm.

HALF-ELVES (

THE NOLDOR (sing. Noldo)
The Noldor are often called “High El yes” or “Deep Eh’es’, ostensibly because they are considered to be the most noble of the Quendi in Middle-earth. In reality, they are so named because they are the only Elves living in Endor who have ever resided in the Blessed Realm of Aman across the sea, This exalted status is accentuated by their close ties with the Valar, a relationship which accounts for their unique cultural and linguistic roots. Other names for the Noldor include Deep-elves, Golodhrim or Gelydh (Sindarin labels), and Nomen (Edwn label).

Physical Character

Build: Of all the Elves, the Noldor are the strongest and sturdiest of build,

Noldor are unparalleled at understanding and working with crafts.

lifestyle: Of all the Elves of Middle-earth, the Noldor are the most ordered. While their brethren are content to wander or mark time in quiet diffusion, the Noldor seek to build communities and states in beautiful, guarded places.

Other Factors
Demenor: Regardless of the line, all Noldor are noble of bearing and carry themselves with assurance. They are haughty and often appear to be arrogant, Of all the Elves, they are the most inquisitive and passionate, being full of a lust for experience and expertise in time arts and the ways of the world. Because ~f this thirst for knowledge the Noldor has’. often fallen prey to lust, corruption, and strife.

THE SINDAR)
The sindar or ‘Grey-elves are Eldar and were originally part of bulk of the Teleri, the Sindar chose not to cross over the sea to the great kindred called the Teleri.; instead they stayed in Middle-earth. They, like the Silvan Elves, are part of the Moriquendl, those Elves who never saw the Light of Valinor.

. No race builds better boats or ships.

Demeanor; Of the three elven races of Middle-earth, the Sindar are the quietest and calmest, and appear to be the most content. They are less frivolous and playful than the Silvan elves. and are less fiery and passionate than the Noldor. Sindar feelings are deep
and not easily aroused, but are they are they cannot be stayed. This it the root of their
Sea-longing.

SILVAN ELVES
When the Eldar departed from the original Elven homeland during the Elder Days, a number of their brethren remained behind. They decided not to seek the light of the Aman and were labeled as the Avari (”). These kindreds were left to fend for themselves during the days when Morgotb’s Shadow swept over the East. During these dark times they were forced into the secluded safety of the forests of eastern Middle-earth, where they wandered and hid from the wild Men who dominated most of the lands. They became known as the Silvan or Wood-elves.
As a result of this co-mingling, some confusion arose as to the Identity of Silvan kindreds. and many of the TeIerl have been called
Wood-elves, but here the term is only applicable to the AvarI,

The Silvan foIk are superb musicians and have tremendous hearing, even for Elves.

lifestyle: The culture of the Silvan Elves is best characterized as unstructured and rustic by elven standards, but rich and relatively advanced when compared to the way of Men They have always been independent, but at of late many have settled its kingdoms ruled by the Noldor or Sindar. Still the Silvan folk enjoy a good journey or adventure and most look at life much at a game to be played. Music and trickery ate their favorite pastimes. The Silvan Elves arc also masters of the wood and know much of wood-craft and wood-lore.

Demeanor They are a fun-loving but guarded folk. Outward mirth often hides their grim intentions.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-14-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Well, I will be an avari then. All other remains just the same. I did some disadvantages for my char so that I would not become and uber-char. You see, vision (around 100' perfectly, 250' a bit even at night) and precision (shoot a rabbit from 500', if a bow does allow shooting so far) makes me very strong... So, lack of speed and stamina will compensate that.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:18 PM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Let me clarify a little.

What I been by uber-character is this:

A character that is so powerful (compared to others in the game) that is upsets the game balance.

example legolas ( in the books and movies) is a very good elven warrior

If you what a character similar to that NO PROBLEM.

BUT if you wanted to play some one like Fingolfin, who fought morogoth. then that is TOO much

so you can be just like your hero legolas and STILL have great vision and precision.

that is not an Uber-character but a skilled one.

I would prefer if you were not handi-capped that way, BUT if you insist I'll help you think of a good reason why you may be. It is not normal for elves to be handi cappedl

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-14-2002, 03:32 PM   #9
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

as soon as I have this question answered I'll post some more info on the my vision of eastern ME

http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...5200#post65200

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-15-2002, 01:55 AM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

it says something in the SIL about Melkor's old fortress Utummo being broken but its pits not cleaned. so dark maia, just as sauron did, could have also escaped

the blue wizards and glorfindel came to ME in SA 1600

and Sauron turn his focus east in 1800 after being defeated in the war of sauron and the elves

Ok

the two istari where called "east helper" and "darkness slayer"

east helper's job was to assist in civilizing the east. from art to medicince etc... the passive resistance

darkness slayer came east to train them to war

I think that this provides enough info for some RPG material

They first can among the scatter avari tribes. since elves are fast learners and built a base of power among them.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-15-2002, 09:57 AM   #11
Legolas
Elven Warrior

OK, if this is not uber-character, then I will do this. That's great.
BTW, afro-elf, what does 'handy-capped' mean? I am not a native english-speaker, so excuse me for my mistakes.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:35 AM   #12
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The way it was used here meant to make things more difficult for your character or to make him lesser than he needed to be.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #13
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

okay, wait, wasn't Glorfindel and Avari?

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
Old 03-16-2002, 12:05 AM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

No Glorfindel was a Noldor Calaquendi

He lived in the Valinor and living there gave him great power over the seen and unseen

If it is only gonna be Legolas, Nariel and Me.

We CAN keep it to the REGULAR middle-earth. I thought that it might be a Few more joining

But with you two it makes it easier.

IF this cool with you I think that we can adventure around mirkwood.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 03-16-2002 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2002, 06:54 AM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Ok this is the plan.

Since it will be only us three I will use the Mirkwood scenario, that I thought up. It gives us a common knowledge to pull from an maybe a better sense of place than me making up stuff.

Our characters will be QUITE good at what they do but not SUPER characters.
To use an US military example we would be rangers MAYBE even delta force. But NOT, Rambo or an Arnold Swartznegger character.

Legolas I’m not sure if the above makes sense but the rangers are the lower level of special forces and delta forces is the higher level. Rambo is an Action Hero who is one man that could defeat an army by himself. I think that Arnold is popular all over the world so I guess you know him and the kind of crazy stuff he does in his movies.

So we’ll be good but not THAT kick ass.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-16-2002, 07:05 AM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I would like to use the characters that we started to use in “into the barrows” as a TEMPLATE for the characters that we will use here.

Here is the idea I have for our characters. There might be a few changes than what you had before. Let me no what you think.

NARIEL XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Appearance: red/brown long straight hair, bright keen green eyes, about 6'1", and tanned skin (but not brown-skinned).

Nariel was born in the beginning of the third age when Mirkwood was still known as Greenwood the great. During that long ago time, the young , always confident and independent Elf would go on solo journey’s all across the forest. In those peaceful times there was little to fear.

She, while a young elf, she stuck up a friendship with the wizard Radagast the Brown. Though by no means a great mage, her tutorship with the Istari taught her many things. She is skilled in the language of the animals of forest, being able to speak and understand their tongue, herbs, and the Art of Stealth. Radagast taught the elf to become one with the forest in a manner of speaking. When still she can sense the pulse of the land and join with it. She is sort of able to commune with the “way” the forest.

The above skills have made her the chief ranger in Thrandruil’s realm and as such she has the Title Ranger Lord. However, she prefers to work alone. Nariel often spends months alone in the forest. However, since the Shadow fell on Greenwood and it being renamed Mirkwood, Nariel’s skills have been increasingly used by King Thrainduil. When not hunting alone, she is either training other elves or leading smalls parties of other elves against the creatures that now inhabit the forest.

HAWAIR XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Physical description:
tall, bright-skinned, long hair (just like Legolas's in the film). He has green eyes, a short eaglish nose, pointed ears (of course) and a small mouth, as well as thin cheek.

A bit more:
he likes literature, poetry, music, wilderness, etc etc. He isn't a brute guy, but when it comes to killing, he is great. Skilled with a bow, can shoot a flying eagle Uses daggers, with whom is lethally precise. But, as said before, he doesn't like fights. He always tries to solve matters diplomatically, except the matters with Orcs.

Hawair is a young Elf, but his archery skills have earned him great renown. Growing up he earned the nickname “Bull’s eye”, for his remarkable skills.

Studying the great archer’s of the past he endeavored to make a “great bow”. He planted a seed and with his own blood mixed it with the soil and water where the seed grew. Daily he would sing to the seed and meditate, pouring his essence into the future bow. Also, during the same time be never cut his hair, for it would be used for the string in his bow. After, years of care and patience Hawair’s great bow was ready which he named ______________ . ( you can name your bow)

Hawair returned to the March Wardens that patrolled the Southern Borders of Thrandruil’s realm against Dol Guldor. The servants of darkness have learned to fear the name of Hawair and his great bow.

ARADIR XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Aradir's phyiscal description:

Like all Elven kind he is tall and handsome. He has rich earth brown skin which is contrasted by golden eyes. His hair is thick and long ( like a mulatto person), which is usually pulled back into a long braid.

My character looks the same as before, but, I will use the name Aradir ( which is what my name would be in Sindarin)
Aradir is from an Avari tribe known as the Baranavair ( brown elves) due to the color of their skin.

Aradir’s wood skills are average ( for an elf) but he is a an accomplished swordsman and an adept mage. Aradir gained notoriety during an attack from Dol Guldor, were a nazgul appeared. He ordered a group of archers to fire all of their arrows at the Nazgul and as they sped to their target he spoke a word and all the arrow’s burst aflame. They struck the Nazgul and engulfed him in flame forcing him to flee the field, thus saving the day.

I believe you two are equipt like legolas bow and two daggers.
Me no bow, but light armor and a heavy cutlass and a parrying cutlass.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-16-2002, 07:06 AM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

If you two like the above we can start playing as soon as you two check in.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-17-2002, 12:33 PM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I just wanted to add that you might think that the way i descibed your character that they may be really bad asses

but think of it this way

Nariel you can talk to the animals and you a supreme tracker.
and pretty nifty with a bow
BUT if Glorfindel came and put the smack down.... well you get the picture

Legolas

You have one whoop ass bow but you don't have infinite arrows

and me i'm an adept warrior and mage however but against a great noldor prince... well i'd better hit and run

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-18-2002, 12:31 AM   #19
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Sweet, but I want my character's name to be something else... maybe Eruwyn (Lone maiden) or somehting to do with stealth. So what's the scenario anyway? where does the story start.

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
Old 03-18-2002, 07:22 AM   #20
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Eruwyn is fine.

I am thinking about keeping the scenario underwraps. It is kinda of a mystery/ action scenario. Ths story will play itself out as we move along.

When Legolas checks in we can begin.

I'll give you guys the title then. ( need to make up my mind)

'Dern Helm"