Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 09:44 PM   #21
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

' Nazgul, Wights, what's next Balrogs,' Malathor thought to himself.

Malathor stood and approached them, thinking to himself, ' so fate has provided a way for me to met this mortal.'

Aloud he spoke, " I am a healer. I will have a look at him."

Malathor bent down beside the two men and began to examine the prone man on the floor.

"Does anyone know this man?" he said as he began his examination.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 12:38 AM   #22
Lysander
Sapling

Lysander rose and in one quick motion was at the door, looking out into the darkness. Squinting, he scanned the horizon for movement, and then stepped back inside, closing the door behind him.

"I doubt they would venture this far into civilation, and I see no signs of pursuit," He looked towards the elves," Of course, the night does impair my vision somewhat."

That said, he moves to stand by the fallen man and investigate his wounds.
Lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 01:44 AM   #23
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Feraway got up and looked out a window. Leaf was still in the spot where she had left him, though he was up and makeing whineing noises clearly wanting in, but excelent training kept him put.

She then looked at the fallen man again, there was nothing she could do for him so she thought it best to stay out of the way of those who could.

Barrow wights, she had heard of them in stories,Terrible stories they were. She thought that they had all disappeared long ago, ..."This is very very bad...if the stories be true." she murmured.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 03:18 AM   #24
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

While checking the prone man, Malathor asks Hawair to check outside. Since, as the Human stated, Elven eyes would be better.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-15-2002, 10:41 AM   #25
Hot_Wings
Sapling

The man looks at you with bleak eyes. "The wights, they killed Ara,...Aramil. You must go. Take this". Out of his rags he produces a rolled up piece of paper. On it is a map of the area around Bree. You notice that there are many places not known to you printed on the map. One place of interest is a mound called the barrow. under it it says "Wights". The man collapses on your arms. With on last sigh, his eyes roll back into his head.
Hot_Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:23 AM   #26
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

OOC ( he's dead Jim)

IC

Malathor:

"This man has passed beyond the skill of all those of Middle-Earth," said Malathor as he closed the man's eyes and laid him upon the floor. "There are no visible wounds. He seems to have died from fright and exhaustion."

Someone in the background was calling for someone named Barliman.

Turning to the Humans beside him.( Lysander and Beladryn) " Do either of you know the area depicted on this map? Or the man he spoke of named Aramil? That's a Sindarin name. He's probably a Ranger."

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-15-2002, 01:46 PM   #27
Lysander
Sapling

"Of the man Aramil I know nothing, although your assumption sounds reasonable; but I am somewhat familiar with the region indicated on the map. It is a chill place, and not far for those light of foot."
Old 01-15-2002, 02:10 PM   #28
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Hawair rose from his chair. He looked a bit shocked about what had happened. When Malathor asked him to look around the Inn, he did so. Only after a few moments, though. Hawair was known between elves not because of his great eye, but also of his comparably slow reaction.
Still, he went out. Looking into the darkness, he tried to notice any disorderness.
- I don't see anything strange there, - he said. - Everything is calm... No, wait...
Hawair went out to the night. Some patron looked to him in wonder. They couldn't see a thing. But Hawair could.
After a while, Hawair returned, carrying a pocket in his arm. He said:
- I found a horse, dead from exhaustion. Mayhaps it's a horse of that poor fellow. Look what he has been carrying.
He showed everyone the pocket. It was a medium-sized pocket, with a handle to carry it over the shoulder. Inside, there were one part. In it, there was a finely-crafted dagger, an empty piece of paper, a bottle of ink and a pencil. Pencils were rare in the whole Middle-earth, so this seemed quite odd.
- So, what may we guess from this? - one patron asked.
- From this stuff, I cannot say much, BUT look here, - answered Hawair, showing a secret case in the pocket. There was a note in it. - A note, as you see. It reads: "Wights are around me. I can't see them, I feel them. They are chasing me, I must run. The wights, they are everywhere. Now I see one, a dark figure. It is huge, bigger..." The note ends. It's all written in a very quick writing. Maybe any other of you can say anything more?
Hawair put the note and the pocket down on the nearest table, and sat down at it.

OOC: afro-elf, what does "Calaquendi" mean?
Old 01-15-2002, 04:55 PM   #29
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

OOC
Legolas I put your answer about the Calaquendi on the 1st thread.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-15-2002, 07:17 PM   #30
delchrys
Hobbit

OOC--hotwings, perhaps you could consider using character names when referring to specific actions (like instead of "you" pick up the scroll, name someone, so we can get a better picture of things).

"i do not know the map at all," beldaryn told the one with the map. "i...i do not even know precisely what these 'wights' are, but a deep, ugly memory is stirred within me at the speaking of the word." he abruptly straightened to his feet. "i shall see what these wights are about." beldaryn spoke again, his voice a shade deeper, his words louder, "i ask--who of you shall accompany me?"

beldaryn looked the patrons in the eyes, each in turn. he raised his eyebrows ever so slightly when he made eye contact with the two elves who seemed to take note of his use of the term 'nazgul'...
delchrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 07:28 PM   #31
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

OCC
Jas I've got the map Or had it I seemed to have passed it to you and the other human( Lysander) I'm right next to you with the dead guy and Lysander.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-16-2002, 12:01 AM   #32
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

OOC: Sorry, couldn't post yesterday. Now I seem to be behind.

BIC: Nabinel was shocked. It seemed such a strange thing...how would someone just die like that? Who were these "wights" and why the fear? For once, Nabinel was clueless. She asked the elves, who seemed to know what they were about, "Pardon me, but who are these wights of whom this unfortunate man spoke? Are they akin to the...the Black Riders?" She purposely refrained from the word 'nazgul' remembering the stir it had caused before.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:29 AM   #33
Lysander
Sapling

Lysander (reliquishing any control over the map he may have had) rested his hand upon the pommel of his sword and said," I will lead you to the barrow, sir; this dark news must be investigated further. Though I warn you, it will be dangerous."
Old 01-16-2002, 01:55 AM   #34
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

Feraways mind was stewing with thoughts of the barrows and the wights, she knew the danger that lurked there, but at the same time her desire to go there was dizzyingly intense. She felt she had to go, curiosity being her main drive as well as her want to help destroy this evil, if she could. She finally made up her mind.

Feraway aproached the old man "I will go too. I will aid in any way I can."
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:36 AM   #35
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Malathor

He smiled to himself 'hasty mortals'. He loved their call to action. Rather implusive, but then life was different for them. As an Elf, he could usually out live most problems.

First ,he he asked one of the waitresses to get someone to take care of the body.

Secondly, he addressed the woman ,who had quiried about the wights.

"About 1000 years ago, the evil kingdom of Angmar was over thrown. However, it seems the Witch-king sent spirits to inhabit the bodies of those in the burial mounds as a parting shot."

He also knew that the Witch King was the leader of the Nazgul, but he decided to keep that quiet for now. The locals had been upset enough. If any were going on this quest ,he felt it better to inform them and them only.

"Now, he continued " Before everone goes traipsing off into the dark, I think it may be best to slow down and plan a bit. This spirits are more powerful at night. So running off now would be foolhardy.
Also, perhaps we should meet with the mayor of this town. There may be reprecussions, and the authorites have the right to know if something may endanger the people here.

" I also feel, that those who wish to go should meet in a quiet place and plan and discuss alone. Especially, why they feel they are capable. Even though I fear not the shades of Men, Wights are a different bred. Besides, the lives of mortals pass all to quick and should not be needlessly lost, ( he knew that would set the meek down and make the brave stand up.

He thought to himself,' if you could live forever would you take risk to end it?'

He then raised his hands in a gesture meaning " what does anyone have to say"

He was also hoping someone would get the dead man off the floor.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-16-2002 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:11 AM   #36
Griffin
Hobbit

Kryden watched the Elf speak and stood, pulling back his hood to reveal his strong features. He looked the Elf in the eye and said nothing.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:42 AM   #37
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Malathor

He looked at the man who just stood. He noted the strong features. This man could hide his Dunedain blood he wanted to.

To verify beyond all doubt that his man was a Ranger of the North Malathor spoke to him in Sindarin.

" I see the light of Numenor is not extinguished"

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-16-2002, 11:29 AM   #38
Griffin
Hobbit

"You are correct," Kryden answered in Sindarin. "I will aid you against this evil."

He pulled back his cloak to reveal the brilliant hilt of a longsword and a long dagger.

"Will anyone else follow?" Kryden asked in common as he walked over to the Elf and stood at his side.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #39
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Hawair stood from the chair. He spoke out:
- I will go with you. I think it is my duty now to find what evil is hiding in the Barrows. I can help you with my wary eyes, and a precise bow skill. This should compensate my lack of elvish reaction and endurance.
What is more, I thought much of where I heard the name "Aramil". Now I remember. I have travelled here from Rivendell with a Ranger. I am taking about the same Ranger I told you about, Malathor. So, when he left me, he said, I recall this as it was a few minutes ago: "Hawair, I now have to leave you. I must go to my home, meet my family, and my son, Aramil." So, Aramil is the son of my friend, and above all other reasons, I must make a revenge for his death.
About other ideas told there, I can not say much. I think it is wise to slow down and not go in the night, also wise would be a closed meeting of only the travelling group. However, in my opinion, we shouldn't tell much to the mayor - he is a mortal Man, as he is a homesitting person, We must inform him, yes, but we must say it wisely, so that he would not make any unpredictable moves.

Hawair looked around and retook his place on the chair.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:29 PM   #40
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

The door opened and a figure entered, clad with a grey cloak pulled around the figure and the hood covering the head. The figure carried a silvan longbow. Not removing the hood, the figure approached the bartender and ordered, then sat alone in a corner, watching.

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote