Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 AM   #1
adaneth
Sapling

(Discussion) Bilbo in Beleriand

[ Hello, I am new here. I am looking for a site to do this RPG at, perhaps this will be the one, depending on level of interest.]

A light-hearted RP that is a series of tales from Bilbo's point of view, and take place in Beleriand.

It has two advantages that I just love. 1) Set in First Age/ Beleriand and 2) Because the tales are actually dreams that Bilbo slips into while listening to elvish tales in Eressea, there is a lot of room for huge and even whacky inventions, such as the very fact that Bilbo exists in the First Age.

The tone of the tales. Not only light-hearted, but generally happy endings. They are to be heroic tales, and more like The Hobbit actually than The Silmarillion. Its kind of a return to youth for an old Bilbo.

I envision exactly how I would like for this to go, and I seek major players who share the same vision.

To help further demonstrate what this vision is, I will give an example of the sort of thing that can and just might happen in the tales: Bilbo in the place of Voronwe journeys with Tuor to Gondolin. Perhaps not as a guide, maybe only as a companion who also seeks the hidden city. Perhaps Bilbo even comes upon a magic ring, and with this, or by some other means, helps to win victory for Gondolin when Morgoth attacks.

Note a couple of things here. 1) Major change from actual Middle-earth history. 2) Elements from Bilbo's actual life mingle in to these heroic and fanciful dreams. The finding of a magic ring is only one example.

Any who this appeals to, or any who want more information can post here for general discussion about the RP, but please PM if it is regarding the roles or plot twist ideas.

I will play the role of Bilbo intially, but for anyone else who is interested and involved in this RP, you can have a chance to play him at a later point (this is a series of tales, and he need not be played by one person in them all). I will play him first simply because it is the role with the most control over the game, and the first tale is the best place for me to set an example and establish (though not without the input of other players) the exact nature of these tales.

Roles
___

Roles needing filled immediately:

Male elf, needed for the first 10-20 percent of the RP. (Perhaps more throughout, we can talk in PM) Companion of Bilbo. PM me for more details.

Finrod Felagund, a tiny role, requiring just a handful of posts.

An additional elf with a tiny role at the beginning of the RP, who may turn up again at the end. This guy must be a memorable and interesting character, a spicey addition to the RP. PM for details.

Roles needed before too awful long:

Mistery character, big role. PM for details.

------------------------

Roles will become available throughout the game. Characters of all types will be welcome at some point in time. This section of this post will be kept updated to the end.

After we have players for these roles that are needed for the first part of the game, we can go over a couple small things and get started right away.

This is what I have in mind for the opening:

Quote:
What follows is one of the lesser known texts of Elfwine, the translation of a children's book.

Bilbo in Beleriand
Recorded by Elemil of Eressea
Based on the dreams of Bilbo Baggins

I have sat by fires and listened to tales more numerous than pearls off the coast of Eldamar, and more various than the gems of the Noldor. I witnessed these like songs that come to life before my eyes, and I revisit them still. But none of them are as dear to my amusement as the adventures I first experienced at Pengolodh's on the day that there were two tellers, one of them unheard except by me. The secret teller was Bilbo Baggins, and I know you have all heard of this gentle old fellow, one of the only mortals to ever dwell in these lands. And one who slipped into sleep during the telling of tales, and quietly spoke in dreams.

It was many ages ago now that Bilbo woke to the smell of bacon in a hole far bigger than his home at Bag End. This was not a hobbit hole, but the caves of a noble Elven-king, Finrod Felagund. If it was an unusual place to wake, it was an even more unusual day that lie ahead.

The hobbit jumped out of bed, and his hairy feet thudded against the cool tile floor. "Dear me! More vigour than I have known in years. Now... where is breakfast?" But Bilbo hesitated at the door. He could hear steps out in the passage, and wasn't sure of the morning customs for guests. Should he sit on the edge of his bed and wait for an invite? Or just walk through the passage pretending to feel like he belongs, nodding greetings to any who pass him by? Should he ask for breakfast or wait for it to be offered?

"Oh but I'm hungry!"

He took out his pipe and decided to wait.
I will start the actual game thread after I know people are joining.

Last edited by adaneth : 03-30-2005 at 04:12 AM.
adaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Wow.

A new Rpg where someone has acually put effort in to organise it.

On that note... I would very much like to join.

Can I just have the "additional elf" role though? - I dont want to get too commited and disapoint with my lack of posting.

Thanks!

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Nice...cool concept.

One guess who I'll play!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
adaneth
Sapling

Thanks for your interest.

I have also posted this thread at another site, and have two people interested there. If by chance all four of you are members of either this site or that, it would be great and we could all work on an RPG together.

But I doubt this is the case, so maybe there will be enough interest both here and there to do the games, two different versions of it, one at each site.

The other site is TheTolkien Forum, please let me know if you guys are members there. I am asking those who have showed interest over there to let me know if they are also members here. I know that one of the two are.
adaneth is offline   Reply With Quote