Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2001, 06:24 PM   #21
Finduilas

Re: The Animated Movie

I do like the voice that did Smaug. Whenever I think about or read the chapters including the dragon I hear the voice from the movie.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:23 PM   #22
Idril Celebrindal

wow, way old topic. hehe... I must have made that post ages ago! I can't actually even remember what film I was talking about back then. I'll have 2 see if I've still got it somewhere.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:16 PM   #23
easterlinge

What is "rotoscoping"?

Old 06-07-2001, 06:54 PM   #24
The Black Lieutenant

Some of the animation in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings was cool, but I tend to agree with the review on The Tolkien Sarcasm Page. I still like it though; some scenes were done just the way I pictured them when I read the book. My favourite scenes from that movie were the flight to the Ford, the Moria scene (the way they did Gandalf's fight with the Balrog was cool) and the battle at Helm's Deep.

The Hobbit was okay except for the crummy Glen Yarbrough songs through the whole thing. The same goes for RoTK, only RoTK was a lot worse. I'll never understand why they chose Casey Casum (who did the voice of Shaggy in the Scooby Doo cartoons) to do the voices of both Merry and Pippin! But RoTK did have one redeeming scene; the tempting of Sam, when he thought about taking the Ring for himself and turning Middle Earth into a garden paradise. The dream quickly turned into one in which whole armies praised "Samwise the Strong" raising their spears to him in homage. Then he regained his composure and was himself again. The way the scene was done was very dramatic and if Roddy McDowall overacted a bit, I think we can forgive him.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:15 PM   #25
Perisil

Personaly i saw the movies before i ever read the books and they absolutley ruined the entire experience for me but i could go off on a negative rampage about how sam looked like a fat midget Tonto(FOTR) and such things but since thats been done plenty enough id say there were a couple of things i liked. Such as the voice of Gandalf and Bilbo in The Hobbit And i happened to loved the soundtrack I found the songs very enjoyable especialy the dwarven song in the beggining of the hobbit. But i must say I cant blame someone for having a different picture then i do in there head for tolkiens world and characters i have to praise anyone who takes time out of their day to create something wether its painting writing drawing or composing especialy when they take the chance to let you share there idea and vision of the professors world wich is not a easy task as some people will simply reject it because you diddnt create what is exactly inside their heads, its much easier to be a critic then a creator. I think that i wouldnt dislike the movie so much if i had read the books first. So its not realy the movie that bothers me im just bitter that i diddnt get to create my own visions of tolkiens timeless masterpeice.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:58 PM   #26
Kelloggs Gymnast

I saw it. It was a BIG deal because I was too little to read the book. I loved that movie!!! But the book was SO much better.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:05 PM   #27
Varda
Elven Warrior

I was kind of raised on the movies "The Hobbit" and "The Return of the King", so I liked them a lot when I was very little and too young to read the books. I think since most of LotR was not put into the movie, it left much more to the imagination, and I did not have to imagine all the characters exactly as they are in the animations.

I also really liked their portrayal of Gandalf, although I noticed they had his horse with reigns (sp?) and stuff when he went to meet the head nazgul. In the book it said took no saddle. Minor detail, and in general I think the movies are a good intro to a classic tale.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:44 PM   #28
AACHOO
Enting

Smaug

Richard Boone was the perfect voice for Smaug.Dignified,old as dirt and EVIL.
Have the album box set with the story book,too.
AACHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 11:03 AM   #29
Shanamir Duntak
Lord of Rain

Welcome tp the board AACHOO!
Old 08-19-2001, 12:29 AM   #30
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Bless you.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:46 AM   #31
Forge315-Halfling
Sapling

Strider Hobbit - Water Ship Down

I don’t know if there is more then one hobbit movie, but I love the one I saw.

Have any of you seen "Water Ship Down"? I like watching it and the hobbit movie back to back. They go great together.
Forge315-Halfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 11:50 PM   #32
Varda
Elven Warrior

one part of the animated movie that i did not really appreciate was at the end of rotk when gandalf says that one day hobbits will be as men are and points out that the younger hobbits are larger than the older ones. first of all, merry and pippin are larger because they drank the stuff the ents gave them, although this was not in the movie. secondly i thought hobbits actually came from men. also, i thought that tolkien hinted that there were actually hobbits in our time, but they are just good at hiding from the "big people." i do like most of the movie, but that part is annoying. also when he finally says "ages from now when this story is told, there may be those who wonder is there hobbit in me? is there?" it just seems cheesy, and i know it is supposed to appeal to kids, but i find it just dumb. so yeah.... that's my two cents
Old 08-28-2001, 04:14 PM   #33
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I agree, although Pippin and Merry even before they drank the draughts were rather tall: four feet.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:36 AM   #34
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

There are still Hobbits around according to Tolkien (he was unusually tall for one). Wrote thar they hide when we come along because we're so noisy.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:23 PM   #35
Varda
Elven Warrior

Didn't Tolkien say he was a hobbit in everything but stature? or something like that?
Old 08-31-2001, 10:23 PM   #36
Forge315-Halfling
Sapling

Tolkien A Hobbit

Quote:
Didn't Tolkien say he was a hobbit in everything but stature? or something like that?
Lol! I think so, he sure was a cool guy.
Forge315-Halfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 11:30 PM   #37
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I saw the Hanna Barberas animated Hobbit and I liked the voices and the songs were good but frankly I did'nt like the animation all that well. The elves were TALL,GREEN,frog like beings that looked as if they came out of Dracula or something or other, and to add insult to injure they wore TUTUS made out of leaves. Other then polluted history(every dwarf dies in the cartoon),ooogly characters(Elrond for instance looked like he was choking,blue elf hmmmmmm),and generraly stupid songs it was ok. The illustrations of Smaug and Gandalf were perfect, and they added some humour when Bilbo screams" Extinguise ME!!!)on Erebor I liked those parts but if you have not see The Hobbit,my suggestion DONT!
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 11:02 AM   #38
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

tolkien as a hobbit

"Didn't Tolkien say he was a hobbit in everything but stature? or something like that?"

I did a term paper that examined this. though lots of this is my own opinion.
Hobbits are 100% Tolkien's creation. i read in a critical essay (forgive me, i don't remember whose) that he based the hobbits on englishmen such as himself. Forgive me, anyone out there who's english, but it's sort of the stereo type of old englishmen. Ya know, stay home, eat a few meals a day and smoke your pipe by the fire. SOme say that it's how tolkien was. so, i think that bilbo represented not only growing up (this was a kids' book, after all) but something that he wanted himself. adventure, and excitement and all that.
Well, that's my two cents ^-^ sorry, this has nothing to do with the topic...mebber i should've made a new thread...
Darkhalcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 08:28 AM   #39
Taramoor
Sapling

There are three sequences, and one moment, in the Rankin/Bass Hobbit that I enjoy. They do not compare to the book, but they are still impressive in their own right, and a nice introduction for younglings and adults who don't know the novels.

1) The opening sequence, supper, between Gandalf, Thorin and co. and Bilbo. Mostly due to John Huston's characterization of Gandalf, and his skillful narration of the Dwarve's fall to Smaug. "They have come for tea, and for supper, and for you; Burglar Baggins." Amazing voicework.

2) The Bilbo/Gollum sequence. Alot of people don't like this image of Gollum, but it grew on me, and I find it an interesting interpretation. I did not like the musical rendition of the "dark" riddle, but I did like Gollum's voice and the offplay between him and Bilbo.

3) The conversation between Bilbo and Smaug. I absolutely love this, Smaug's little sub-comments while Bilbo rambles on. Again, primarily because of the voicework I find this sequence very well done.

The moment I like most is at the very end, and the way John Huston delivers the line to Bilbo. "You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all."

Also, after the Battle of Five Armies, the conversation between Gandalf and Bilbo goes this way:

Bilbo: "Of our original thirteen, how many are left."
Gandalf: "Seven."
Bilbo: "And, Thorin?"
Gandalf: "Soon, it will be only six."

They don't all die in the cartoon, Samwise. And only the wood elves are made to look like frog-things. Elrond looks (almost insanely) similar to how he appears in the upcoming movie. As a demi-human, with pointy ears and a crown of stars.
Taramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:32 AM   #40
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hey! i loved the movie!

And it was a LOTR that i could understand at a young age. (yes i know you all still think I'm young, but i think I'm older)

And just look at it this way.... if i hadn't seen the animated one, the i probably wouldn't be here. (hummmmm... ok bad example but you get the idea )
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote