Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Can you imagine a new generation of Leggy fans?!
That would be interesting-but it's hard to imaging any actor replacing Orlando Bloom

So many girls at my high school went into shock when he became engaged.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Of course, she would be played by Helen Mirren.
Now that would be cool.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Only if Smaug considers the ramifications of killing a magnificent dwarf, and shoos it away... only to find out later that another dragon killed the dwarf.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #24
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
You know, it REALLY pisses me off that because I'm considered to be a 'Tolkien purist' that I somehow can't judge a movie on its own merits. Probably most of the long-time posters here can vouch for how fussy mcfussersins I can be about movies, so it's not a particularly long shot that (IMO) the movies fail ON THEIR OWN MERITS because they suck-ASS, not because they fail to meet some impossibly high bar set by my apparently puritanical standards. I think JD back in the day used to word this quite well (roughly paraphrased), "PJ is a hack!" He brings neither any particularly clever directing techniques to the table, nor does he bring any talent. If I really wanted to pay good money to watch some ok-ish CGI, then I'd choose another movie vehicle. Fie on Peter Jackson, FIE I say!

... hah, that almost felt good.
"PJ is a hack!"

I Think that was well paraphrased.

The movies had several problems even when looked at solely as a movie and not as any type of adaptation. I think the problems increased throughout the three films.

Hopefully the Hobbit will be done better, but I would not bet the farm on it.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #25
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I was kinda mad about the ending of Return of the King, but I am looking forward to the upcoming Hobbit movie. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #26
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

I enjoyed the LotR movies because they were massive high-fantasy adventures with some excellent acting, spectacular costuming and a well-written script that, when put all together (and for all its faults), managed to capture the same feel of the novels, particularly when combined with the landscape. Even though Peter Jackson's skills as a director are debatable, the man certainly had/has a passion for the subject matter, which goes a long way.

That being said, with the casting decisions that have been publicized so far, it is already obvious that The Hobbit movie is going to have a heck of a lot added to it that isn't in the book. Peter Jackson seems to be making an effort to provide a more comprehensive prequel to the other movies with these films, building onto the history and universe, more than he is going to make a film adaptation of The Hobbit. But, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. A little disappointing that he is doing it through this story, rather than focusing on The Hobbit itself, but it is an interesting idea.

If nothing else, the movies are going to be fun.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #27
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galenavar View Post
That being said, with the casting decisions that have been publicized so far, it is already obvious that The Hobbit movie is going to have a heck of a lot added to it that isn't in the book.
You can tell that just by the casting decisions? I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning behind this.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #28
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Perhaps "heck of a lot" was too strong a phrase, but Cate Blanchett and Sir Christopher Lee both returning as Galadriel and Saruman, plus the casting of Sylvester McCoy as Radagast, means some plot addition. Since I remember reading (though I can't remember where from right now) that Frodo was also making a return, the rumor being that he would frame the film - he's reading Bilbo's book - I reason that PJ is going to try to use the perfect set up to expand upon the story and connect it a little more fully to the LotR movies.

Is that reasonable?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #29
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I think I also heard that Orlando Bloom was signed up for Legolas again... though he could easily be slipped in without much added to the story.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #30
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I am OK with making it more prequel like. We get two fantasy movies based on my favorite author/story rather than one. I look forward to someday watching all five movies in sequence. I like the two fan-made movies too. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #31
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galenavar View Post
Is that reasonable?
Yes, very. In fact so much that I now feel silly for having had to ask.

I'm not sure if I like the idea that the whole White Council side-story to be included, which the casting at least seem to indicate. On one hand I was kind of wondering why Gandalf disappeared suddenly from the proceedings in the Hobbit so quickly til the end-battle, even though story-wise it was a good move. And it all made sense the moment one reads the appendices in LoTR about the White Council and the attack on Dol Guldur. But on the other hand, if Jackson will actually include those events in the Hobbit movie(s), won't that detract big time from the actual Hobbit story? Anyway, I'm not sure what would work best.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Maybe it will help - for people (who do not know) to see that he REALLY did have something else big and important to do at the time, and wasn't just abandoning the Dwarves & Bilbo because he was tired of them.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #33
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

I think the probable solution is rather than focusing solely on the White Council, which I think Valandil is right about helping some of the audience, I imagine the White Council events will be interspersed with the actual Hobbit story. How effective this is will be determined by how streamlined (or not) Jackson makes the plot line. He does run the risk of overwhelming the central plot of the movie(s), but since there are two films hopefully he'll be able to balance things out.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #34
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I don't care if PJ makes a second movie filling out the background, but when I go to see "The Hobbit" I want to see "The Hobbit".

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #35
Earniel

That's somewhat my point. It is helpful that the audience know that Gandalf's important business elsewhere really was important. But at the same time there's going to have to be a lot included to make the White Council storyline complete and understandable. And I fear that's going to detract from the actual The Hobbit storyline, which like GrayMouser said as well, is really the movie I want to see.

And judging how Jackson cut TTT with jumping from one group to the other in scenes sometimes less than a minute long, that's not going to do either the White Council of The Hobbit story-lines much good. The stories are very different in nature and I'm pretty sure Jackson is going to mix the two over the span of two movies and not do two seperate movies so I'm not entirely hopeful for the result.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #36
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Ah, I understand now.

I hadn't really thought about the effect the TTT technique would have on the storylines - it just seems to make the most sense on how to do a film with two plots. Now that you mention it, I think you're right, they are very different stories and likely won't gel well.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other way to do it. It will be interesting to see him try to pull it off.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #37
Fool_of_a_Took
Hobbit

To be honest, I see very little wrong with Jackson's adaptations of the movies. I have loved LOTR and The Hobbit for the majority of my childhood and all of my adult life, yet I fail to see how he has supposedly butchered the series. To be fair, some key plot points that I would have loved to have seen were cut from the movies, but let's be realistic- no Hollywood studio would produce and release a 5 hour movie. I am just happy to have been able to see such a fantastic piece of literature turned into a visual spectacle. Movies are not the noble art of literature, nor will they ever be. We cannot expect a movie director/writer/producer to have the same immortal genius of Tolkien.

Personally, I know that PJ can (and has) done a far better job on these movies that I or anyone I know could ever do, and for that, I applaud him and heartily look forward to seeing The Hobbit in theaters.

"We're flat broke, but hey, we do it in style."
Fool_of_a_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #38
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I think I also heard that Orlando Bloom was signed up for Legolas again... though he could easily be slipped in without much added to the story.
I heard that too-is it definite?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #39
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

RE Orlando Bloom:

twitter.com/The_HobbitMovie/status/24896103719636993

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #40
Fool_of_a_Took
Hobbit

thanks for the heads up, barrelrider110