Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #21
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
I don't.

Why? Because it is presented in Episode 4 as something new, something original, and that wouldn't have been the case if it had been around for or twenty or forty years before that.
I agree Wayfarer. They should not show construction begining on a death star in Ep. 3.

If my understanding of the timeline is correct, it is at least 20-25 years between Ep. 3 and Ep.4.

If we can use the second death star has an estimate for time of construction, I would say a death star can be completed in about 1-2 years.

At most, they could just hint at the death star as a secret project. Maybe have it as something in the background.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 PM   #22
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
I agree Wayfarer. They should not show construction begining on a death star in Ep. 3.

If my understanding of the timeline is correct, it is at least 20-25 years between Ep. 3 and Ep.4.

If we can use the second death star has an estimate for time of construction, I would say a death star can be completed in about 1-2 years.

At most, they could just hint at the death star as a secret project. Maybe have it as something in the background.
What I ment was that if there was no-
Oops, time to go!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #23
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r

There isn't likely to be any hinting about the Death Star being a secret project. They already did that in "Attack of the Clones"; it would be redundant to have the same thing in both. I feel that they will show the beginning of the construction.

One point I would like to make is that there is a significant amount of time between Episodes 4 and 5. Their base on Yavin 4 was attacked and evacuated. Han went to Ord Mandel with Leia during that period. A new major Rebel instillation was prepared on Hoth. Perhaps it existed before, but even if it did, they would have had to expand on it in order to make it capable of being the main headquarters for the Rebel Alliance. Several things happened. I don't know how long this period was; my Star Wars timeline is lost somewhere in the attic. If only someone showed up who had a timeline, that would really solve some of these problems .

The Empire was trying to develop a secret battlestation. Their project was huge, and they probably had to work around the Imperial Senate. That would be a bit of a challenge. With the Second Death Star, dictatorships were in order rather then beaurocracies. That would doubtless have simplified things a lot.

The Imperial workers were under more pressure to move fast with the second Death Star. While in Episode 4 there are no indications of people being under serious pressure to build fast, in Episode 6 there are many such indications. The commander's statements, "my men are working as fast as they can," and his visible fear, are all evidences of the pressure and fear he and his men were under.

My main argument for their being able to construct the first Death Star more swiftly though will wait till my next post . . .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-13-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #24
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

My main point is the technology. With the first Death Star, the technology would have been entirely new. They would have had to develop entirely new machines to develop pieces of equipment that had never been constructed before. Thousands of new instruments and technologies had to be put into place and fitted together. Thousands and thousands. It's an extremely difficult job. The prototype of anything is longer then the one that follows. With the second Death Star, the technology was there. It had already been created, been implemented. Shortcuts could be taken. The process was known. The machines that made these utterly new pieces already existed and could easily be reactivated to start a new Death Star. It's just an incredibly different job, moving from a completely new, impossibly intricate piece of technology, to repeating a job that had already been done. Obviously the second one was more powerful, more accurate. The technology for the superlaser had been enhanced over those 25 or so years. But the primary item was not changed.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:11 AM   #25
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
There isn't likely to be any hinting about the Death Star being a secret project. They already did that in "Attack of the Clones"; it would be redundant to have the same thing in both. I feel that they will show the beginning of the construction.
I hope they show it! And the Imperial March better be playing louder and more gloriously than ever!

At some point in the movie, they should definately blast the Imperial March. It's all about the federation and the sith rising to power anyway.

Leif, you make a lot of good points about how Death Star II was assembled more quickly. And I found I downloadable timeline here but it's too late on a schoolnight for me to look for the info.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #26
Beor
founder of the color blue

What about the contractors on the death star?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:11 AM   #27
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beor
Watch Clerks for the answer Beor...

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #28
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beor
Er... those bug things from episode II?

P.S.
Still haveing troble with the 90 second rule...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #29
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Er... those bug things from episode II?

P.S.
Still haveing troble with the 90 second rule...

Blue Collar Man: Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but what are you talking about?
Randal Graves: The ending of "Return of the Jedi".
Dante Hicks: My friend here is trying to convince me that any independent contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when it was destroyed by the Rebels.

From Clerks by Kevin Smith

Mr. Blue Collar will give the answer if ya watch the film.... which is one of the greatest of all time, IMHO!

Last edited by Halbarad of the Dunedain : 04-17-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #30
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

"From the bridge of a star destroyer, two Sith Lords stand with a sector governor named Tarkin and survey the growing skeleton of a spherical battle station the size of a moon..." ~ An exerpt from the book STAR WARS: Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover.

So it would seem that the Death Star will be making its apperance in Episode III, at the very end for a few seconds. This incident, in the book, is on the last page, nearly the last paragraph.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 PM   #31
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

How is it that a book of Episode III is out before the movie?

Old 04-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #32
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Like I said in another SW thread, with this being the final Star Wars the interest in buying merchandise for the film would decline after the films release. Undoubtedly George Lucas didn't want to lose those thousands of dollars of profit so brough out all of his merchandise; books, games, clothes, and toys all about a month before the films release. Furthermore everyone with the slightets deductive reasoning knows excatlly whats going to happen in this final film so bringing the book out before the film isn't giving much away.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:48 AM   #33
Lenya
Elentári

It sucks I think he should have waited. The movie has to be first.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #34
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Well all you have to do then is just not read the book Lenya...

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think Episode I released the book first as well. Not sure about EP II.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #35
Lenya
Elentári

I know, I'm not going to read it. I didn't know about Ep I though.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:40 AM   #36
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

yay *does happy dance* another one of my threads is still going on after over a year I started it on 10/1/04 it's now 14/5/05!!

PS at the end of the ROTS book it says we see obi wan riding off into the distance on tatooine and then vader, emporer and grand moff tarken on vader's super star destroyer watching the death star's construction!

PPS also for anyone wondering about time differences in the time it took to create the death star, when they were first creating it it was new never seen before technology so the had to work slowly to make sure everything worked when it finished the second death star however was made in about ten years thats half the time it took them to build the first death star this is because they knew what they were doing second time round
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #37
Lenya
Elentári

Can't wait for the new movie!!! I've been waiting for this for 5 years
Old 05-14-2005, 07:31 PM   #38
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar the Elfstone
PS at the end of the ROTS book it says we see obi wan riding off into the distance on tatooine and then vader, emporer and grand moff tarken on vader's super star destroyer watching the death star's construction!
I have that line quoted in my post # 30...