Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2003, 06:56 AM   #1
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Walk The Real Tolkien Trail.

Does ne one know what kind of life did JRR TOLKIEN lead.
What inspired him so much, what made him write his great books.
I am sure all of us would like to be inspired by the same, and WALK THE REAL TOLKIEN TRAIL
congressmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
hobinator
Enting

many have said the underlying theme in all the books was death, becuase both his father and mother died when he was at such a young age
hobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:50 AM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Tolkien had a number of inspirations. His love of languages, and the great incouragement that came from the other Inklings, especially C.S. Lewis, just to name a couple.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

And of course the wars must have had some influence on him, both the war he fought himself and the war his son fought.

Last edited by Falagar : 01-21-2003 at 12:40 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by hobinator
many have said the underlying theme in all the books was death, becuase both his father and mother died when he was at such a young age
Yes Ive heard this too. And that serving in world war I influenced his writing as well. And his loathing of technology. But I would imagine losing so many close friends and family members again and again throughout his life influenced his writing in that so many of the major characters described especially in the Silmarillion end up dead. Usually brutally.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:54 AM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Tolkien had a number of inspirations. His love of languages, and the great incouragement that came from the other Inklings, especially C.S. Lewis, just to name a couple.
Sis GH: Do we know if he knew TH White at all? I think they were contemporary.

Old 01-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I don't know the answer to that Rex.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
congressmn

neither do I
congressmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
hobinator
Enting

The 3rd disc of the Extended Fellowship has a great description of Tolkiens life, from birth to his passing, creation of middle earth, and his time at Oxford.
hobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #10
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Also don't forget the time period he grew up in as well. The first 20-30 years of his life was during the time in which the world developed the most in all major aspects, whether it be industrial, financial, political, etc... I think you can find many aspects of his trials and tribulations in many different and distinct places in his books, while at the same time his influences in life also led him to create unearthly things that didn't go through the things he had seen in his life or were oblivious to anyway...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:00 AM   #11
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'm pushing 'Letters' again. There you will find Tolkien's view of different aspects in society, together with his own comments on his authorship and his work.

(I'm amazed Rian hasn't been here before me )
Old 01-23-2003, 02:45 PM   #12
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I read that he was missing a real history of england such as greece or sweden has (with real old heros) and that he wanted to write such a story of england. At first he did - this can be read in the Unfinished Tales, there are many silmilarities with England, but later on he dropped that whole england thing
Old 01-23-2003, 05:29 PM   #13
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
I read that he was missing a real history of england such as greece or sweden has (with real old heros) and that he wanted to write such a story of england
Speaking of Sweden, Tolkien got much from his material from Norse mythology. For example, Tolkien must have came up with the idea of the Halls of Mandos after reading about Valhalla, where all the brave warriors came after death. And the story of how the sun and moon of Middle-Earth were created is like the Norse story of their creation.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:15 AM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Speaking of Sweden, Tolkien got much from his material from Norse mythology. For example, Tolkien must have came up with the idea of the Halls of Mandos after reading about Valhalla,
Where do I know the word Valhalla? I knew I know this word and have read stories with it before, but I could not tell. Damn (but now I know what it is, thanks Jonathan)
Old 01-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Where do I know the word Valhalla? I knew I know this word and have read stories with it before, but I could not tell. Damn (but now I know what it is, thanks Jonathan)
*singing*

we come from the land of the ice and snow
with the midnight sun and the hot springs flow..
the Hammer of the Gods
will drive our ships to new lands
fighting the hordes
singing and crying:
Valhala I am coming-eee-ing!!!

Jonathan these are your ancestors I believe

Old 01-24-2003, 11:59 AM   #16
congressmn

So in conclusion he took it all from Sweden eh?
(Now if that can be proved, i can already see the smile on Jonathan's face).
Old 01-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by congressmn
So in conclusion he took it all from Sweden eh?
(Now if that can be proved, i can already see the smile on Jonathan's face).
Well he took bits and pieces from all over really. But no doubt Scandinavian lore was a very heavy influence since their sagas and tales are rich and many and filled with glorious battles and fell deeds and poetic nostalgia.

Old 01-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #18
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Ehrrmm - Scandinavia is more than Sweden. *wipes off smile on Jonathan's face*
Old 01-24-2003, 03:55 PM   #19
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Much more
Old 01-24-2003, 04:02 PM   #20
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Sis GH: Do we know if he knew TH White at all? I think they were contemporary.
Doubtful that he did. TH White was pretty infamous for being a loner who suffered bouts of severe depression....not a mixer at all. There is a good insight into his private life in the 1995 printing of The Once and Future King.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote