Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Aw, thanks, Jonathan. I tried to revive it, but I didn't see the sense in just posting six or eight more posts in a row by myself. Besides, I was eager to start the new LotR project!
Anyway, you just stole my vote away from FF (who had won it with cheesecake) for that sweet personal comment to me. Of course, I could be swayed towards a different candidate at the drop of a hat (Aren't I a sad statement on how easily a vote can be bought? )!
Since I never had time to participate in the Sil project, I would very much enjoy contributing to the LotR project instead . I'll look into which chapters I want to do and post in the LotR project thread later.
Oh, I guess the LotR project is more important to you than the book club right now, but if there's ever a book you want to read and discuss, just let me know
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

What I want to ask the Council for Entmoot is; if you do win, are those members of the council going to actually do their 'jobs'? You know, will the Minister of Culture or whatnot actually do something about Entmoot's Culture; what affairs will the Administrative Affairs person actually manage, and so forth?

I'd hate to think you'd be giving people titles just for the sake of it.

Last edited by Linaewen : 03-21-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
What I want to ask the Council for Entmoot is; if you do win, are those members of the council going to actually do their 'jobs'? You know, will the Minister of Culture or whatnot actually do something about Entmoot's Culture; what affairs will the Administrative Affairs person actually manage, and so forth?

of course we will.
Minister of foreign affairs will deal with introducing newbies (because he's the foreign affairs administrater!).
minister of culture wil deal with racist problems when needed ()
Besides, there is nothing wrong with having a title for no reason except for show. We all have those, dont we?
I'm a down to fangorn forest type mooter, and of course I want all mooters to treat each other equally (that goes for my team and myself as well).

.......sounds to me like you've been talking to Jonathan a lot, Lin

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 03-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Since I never had time to participate in the Sil project, I would very much enjoy contributing to the LotR project instead . I'll look into which chapters I want to do and post in the LotR project thread later.
Oh, I guess the LotR project is more important to you than the book club right now, but if there's ever a book you want to read and discuss, just let me know
... candidate promisses

Why do you say you never had the time to contribute to the Sil. project? It is still going on!

With that kind of assertions your credibility is reaching zero
Old 03-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
of course we will.
Minister of foreign affairs will deal with introducing newbies (because he's the foreign affairs administrater!).
minister of culture wil deal with racist problems when needed ()
Besides, there is nothing wrong with having a title for no reason except for show. We all have those, dont we?
I'm a down to fangorn forest type mooter, and of course I want all mooters to treat each other equally (that goes for my team and myself as well).

.......sounds to me like you've been talking to Jonathan a lot, Lin
Actually, everyone welcomes the newbies. That's what the Welcome thread is for.

And the other problems you are talking about are dealt with by the admins and mods.

Personally, I can't say that I'd do any admin or mod job, since I'm not one. So, I will not promise any of those things. If elected as vice president, as a representative of our beloved Entmoot, I would try to make this the best Tolkien forum on the Net. I would do this by starting thought provoking threads, posting informed, well written responses, and defending the honor of Entmoot whenever necessary.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
Beor
founder of the color blue

Well, I dont know if this question is for me at all, but as Foreign Minister of the Sister Golden Hair Administration, I will, using my handy location in Iraq, continue to BURN!!! BURN!! here in Iraq, so that you can enjoy an Entmoot that is Saddam Hussein free ! Actually, I do plan on trying to unite the American and Canadian and Mexican and Latin American and South American Mooters with the European, Asian, and African, and Middle Eastern Mooters, but I can only do so much. However, I will do as much as I can to keep the continents not so far apart.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Actually, everyone welcomes the newbies. That's what the Welcome thread is for.

And the other problems you are talking about are dealt with by the admins and mods.

Personally, I can't say that I'd do any admin or mod job, since I'm not one. So, I will not promise any of those things. If elected as vice president, as a representative of our beloved Entmoot, I would try to make this the best Tolkien forum on the Net. I would do this by starting thought provoking threads, posting informed, well written responses, and defending the honor of Entmoot whenever necessary.
yeah but, the newbie thread isnt always seen by newbies, thus i welcome them via pm and show them to the newbie thread.
it was ages before i even knew that other forums existed here at the moot besides the movie forum. most people are going to come in through the lotr movie door (thats why they joined), and wont realize the other forums till later. SO THERE.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 03-21-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Twista and Falagar will work together quite a lot since recruiting often leads to new members. They will fulfill their roles, that's why we picked them.

I will fulfill my own duties as well, supporting Hector as President, as well as being there to temporarily take over if, for whatever reason, Hector has to leave for a while. That way, Mooters can be assured they're never without a leader!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-21-2004, 04:36 PM   #9
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
... candidate promisses

Why do you say you never had the time to contribute to the Sil. project? It is still going on!

With that kind of assertions your credibility is reaching zero
Actually, those are things that I will do regardless of my being elected or not.
And I am aware of that the Sil project isn't really finished yet, but the last chapters are already assigned so unless someone drops from the project, it will be impossible for me to contribute.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #10
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
I was thinking - does anyone think that there should be an oath for the President to swear after he or she gets elected? Something like “I swear to represent the mooters the best I can and to honour the memory of Tolkien, so help me Eru”. What do the voters think, what oath should their President have to swear?
That's a brilliant idea. It would be good to see/read a public oath, so the Mooter's know that whoever they pick as President will stay true to the Moot.

And I've been meaning to ask, why isn't HOBBIT running again? Since it does say in his sig that he's going to be president forever, I would have thought that he'd want to try and be re-elected.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 03-21-2004, 05:00 PM   #11
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
I will, using my handy location in Iraq, continue to BURN!!! BURN!! here in Iraq, so that you can enjoy an Entmoot that is Saddam Hussein free ! Actually, I do plan on trying to unite the American and Canadian and Mexican and Latin American and South American Mooters with the European, Asian, and African, and Middle Eastern Mooters, but I can only do so much. However, I will do as much as I can to keep the continents not so far apart.
I think that I would find it very interesting if you could explain to me the difference between Mexican, South Americans and Latin Americans to me.
Quote:
yeah but, the newbie thread isnt always seen by newbies, thus i welcome them via pm and show them to the newbie thread.
Now this is really nice.

I have a question for all of the candidates. I'm more of a book fan than the movies. I have seen a candidate post that if he/she wins they will try to make entmoot the best forum on the net. My question is, why would you need to be elected in order to do so. Why don't you do it just because of the love for Tolkien.
I don't know if azalea is a part of someones campain but with her LOTR book project she is doing just that, bringing intelligent discussion in which everyone can participate and have a chance to see other points of view. Now that would be someone that I would definitely give my vote to.
Quote:
And I am aware of that the Sil project isn't really finished yet, but the last chapters are already assigned so unless someone drops from the project, it will be impossible for me to contribute.
This is true in a way. While it is true that the Sil project has all of the remaining chapters assigned, that doesn't inhibits or prohibits anyone with involving themselves in the discussion of those chapters. The Sil project is more of a discussion than a monologue of the person appointed to do the introduction.
Ladies and gentleman, do I have a surprise for the people when the next chapter Ruin of Doriath will be discussed.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Oath to be taken, one hand on The Silmarillion, one hand on heart

Here do i swear fealty and service to Entmoot, and to the mods, admins and mooters of that realm, to speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, to come and to go, in need or plenty, in peace or war, in living or dying, from this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end.
So say I, [insert name] son/daughter of [insert father's name] of the Shire of the Halflings.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #13
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
IThis is true in a way. While it is true that the Sil project has all of the remaining chapters assigned, that doesn't inhibits or prohibits anyone with involving themselves in the discussion of those chapters.
You are right. I meant to say that there are no more chapters to assign to anyone.

Btw, one might think that SGH is rooting for herself in the upcoming election. Not true. According to this thread - Which Character President - SGH states that she is actually crossing her fingers for FF.
@ SGH
Old 03-22-2004, 03:30 AM   #14
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Ooooh, I just saw this. But Lin, how could you ask a question like that?

This is a Tolkien message board, and Tolkien's books is culture at its best imo. As a Minister of Culture I will continue to do what I've always done on this board: Support and contribute to any idea and project which will promote the books (all of them, not only the most well-known like The Hobbit or LotR), like the Silmarillion project and the new LotR project. IMO These projects have increased, and will continue to increase, the quality of Entmoot.

I will also continue to urge and encourage everyone new to Tolkien to continue reading. Some members come here because of the movies, and that is a great opportunity for us to show them the beauty of Tolkien's books! There's nothing wrong with the movies btw, but though based on Tolkien they are PJ's work, and I do love the books so much more.

Also, I will try to make more known many of the great Tolkien-inspired artists out there, and I would also like to see members create their own pieces of art, like paintings, music etc.

Quote:
My dear Lin. I do (immodestly ) think I've earned my title and my place in the council through my posts on this board in general, and through my active posting in the Sil project in special, a project which is dear to my heart. Thanks Maedhros, Ben, and SGH! The LotR reading project has got a flying start too, I think it will be a great success, and I will do my very best to add to the quality of it.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 AM   #15
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
This is a Tolkien message board, and Tolkien's books is culture at its best imo. As a Minister of Culture I will continue to do what I've always done on this board: Support and contribute to any idea and project which will promote the books (all of them, not only the most well-known like The Hobbit or LotR), like the Silmarillion project and the new LotR project. IMO These projects have increased, and will continue to increase, the quality of Entmoot.

I will also continue to urge and encourage everyone new to Tolkien to continue reading. Some members come here because of the movies, and that is a great opportunity for us to show them the beauty of Tolkien's books! There's nothing wrong with the movies btw, but though based on Tolkien they are PJ's work, and I do love the books so much more.

Also, I will try to make more known many of the great Tolkien-inspired artists out there, and I would also like to see members create their own pieces of art, like paintings, music etc.
Here's hoping you'll do this ANYWAY... even if Jonathan or SGH or someone else wins!

Quote:
My dear Lin. I do (immodestly ) think I've earned my title and my place in the council through my posts on this board in general, and through my active posting in the Sil project in special, a project which is dear to my heart. Thanks Maedhros, Ben, and SGH! The LotR reading project has got a flying start too, I think it will be a great success, and I will do my very best to add to the quality of it.
Then why on Middle-earth does the Entmoot Council run its most qualified person at the bottom of the ticket?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:14 AM   #16
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Valandil
Then why on Middle-earth does the Entmoot Council run its most qualified person at the bottom of the ticket?
bwahahaha
and its not true! I would not have chosen any of the people for my council if they had not been capable. in fact, I didnt. Nurvingiel did. and of course we all know how great and talented she is.

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 03-22-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #17
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Here's hoping you'll do this ANYWAY... even if Jonathan or SGH or someone else wins!
As goes for all the promises of all the candidates.
Quote:
Hmm - thank you - I think...
Old 03-22-2004, 10:24 AM   #18
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

talk about big government... seems to be becoming more of a collective that a council

i updated my sig in the interest of less scrolling for the masses
Old 03-22-2004, 10:50 AM   #19
Jonathan

Quote:
I have a question for all of the candidates. I'm more of a book fan than the movies. I have seen a candidate post that if he/she wins they will try to make entmoot the best forum on the net. My question is, why would you need to be elected in order to do so. Why don't you do it just because of the love for Tolkien.
I agree completely. One can come with promises of all kinds of things that you will do if one is elected, but really - whatever one comes up with, one would be able to do anyway. Being President doesn't give you new powers or abilities or anything.
Like I said earlier, to me it doesn't matter a lot if I am elected or not, I will still contribute to the Tolkien community and promote Tolkien's works.
However, being President might give make you more motivated to try to turn Entmoot into the best Tolkien forum. The fact that you are representing all the mooters would probably be a very good incentive to stay active and take part in discussions.
Being President wouldn't be imperative, but it would give you a kick in the right direction.
Therefore, I think that everyone should vote for the candidate who not only represents them the best, but who gives the most back to Entmoot. Make that person more eager to continue doing so.

Quote:
I don't know if azalea is a part of someones campain but with her LOTR book project she is doing just that, bringing intelligent discussion in which everyone can participate and have a chance to see other points of view. Now that would be someone that I would definitely give my vote to.
Azaela is not part of my campaign if that is what you think . But I am very happy that she is thinking of voting for me. It is not the big things but the smaller ones which makes you smile the most
As you say, someone who involves others in interesting discussions and who shows his or her love for Tolkien, would definitely be a good President. Hopefully, you will find someone among the candidates with such qualities.
Pick me, pick me!

http://my.hsonline.net/~rrosetta/ent...than/jon10.jpg
Old 03-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #20
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

BTW, when was this Lord of the Flies discussion?

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-22-2004 at 02:24 PM.