Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Happy New Year - 2012!

Happy New Year to all at Entmoot - for 2012!

Hope it's a good year for all. I sincerely hope the world does not end, and I'm not planning on it.

Hoping for a good year myself, as I start my new job on the 3rd. Just finished my last day at the old job yesterday. Only have to turn in a few papers and pick up my last check. Always a pleasant duty!

Happy New Year to all... starting with those in New Zealand, Australia, etc - where the year 2012 has already begun!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Happy New Year, Mooters!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Happy New Year all!

And may 2012 be a splendid year for all, regardless of Mayan doom scenarios.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Mari
Elf Lady

Happy new year to everyone!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Happy New Year!!!!

Any resolutions? I've made a few about practicing voice more and finding an exercise program I'll really enjoy and get into. I've come to realize that my big thing is I hate thinking while I exercise, and I hate doing it alone. So things like guided tapes/group work is best for me.

So, in light of that goal, today I recorded some vocal exercises I want to do every day and put them on a playlist... easy-peasy. I just hit play, and in about 8 minutes I'm done and I can either stop there if I'm too busy that day, or I can be fully warmed up and ready to work on music.

Then for the exercise I found some videos to use on youtube and I'm looking into ordering a program like p90 or maybe some cardio tae-bo DVDs. When I've been in good shape before is when I was in group classes or when we had our old cardio workout tapes... it makes me feel like I have company doing it with me.

I'm going to do a five month trial... basically till the summer. Because then I'll have time to really reflect and figure out if the new methods motivated me to success or if another tactic is required.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Mari
Elf Lady

I don't do resolutions. I work on improving myself all the time, why would New Year be a special moment?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Why not New Years? It's a great reminder to check in... it doesn't mean that's the only time you should choose to improve, but it's an easy to remember time for checking up on how you're doing.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Mari
Elf Lady

I have to write reflections after every class I teach and I have to write it all down in a weekly journal. I also have to talk about that once a week. Reflection is not only supposed to be about me as a teacher, but also about me as a person, my methods, etc.
I have to defend myself every 6 weeks in a talk with someone from school and even once I graduate I'll have to do this regularly. That's how the educational field works here.
I don't have many goals outside teaching, so I think I do enough checking up on where I stand all through the year. :P
I suppose if you don';t reflect on yourself that much otherwise, you might as well pick New Year to do so, but a lot of people tend to set goals for themselves with no regard for realism - like going teetotal all of a sudden - and then get upset if they can't make it. Yet somehow we all encourage each other to make these resolutions but neglect to help each other in selecting good goals, setting out a plan to get there and to check back in (and perhaps most importantly: to help others reflect on why they failed if they fail anyway). Perhaps that way they'll be more than just silly goals people set because people around them think they should, which get thrown out as soon as it becomes inconvenient.

But that's general talk, you seem to have a realistic idea of your resolutions, so go for it!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Earniel

Well, that kind of fits with the resolution I'm making for myself this year: to pick a resolution that I actually will keep.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I kind of have this "New DAY" resolution. Every night before I go to bed, I set my alarm and think "I will not snooze, but I will get up, get ready, get some chores around the house done, cook meals, and all that jazz."

Instead, I sleep in till at least 10, wait till 2 to finally blow dry my hair, warm up some leftovers or microwave meals, and watch my husband or my brother or sometimes me play Skyrim.

I break that whole resolution thing EVERY DAY.

It kind of makes me sad to admit it. Maybe I should join something like Couch-Potatoes Anonymous...

My new year's resolution: Find a Couch-Potatoes Anonymous chapter to join.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

I did most of my resolutions last year, but they were all easy stuff like "wear pants less" and "pet more kitties". My other yearly goal is to read more books than the last year. I keep track on Shelfari. Last year I had 30, the year before that was 26 I think then 24 or something like that. Also none of my goals were about fitness or weight loss but I lost 20 pounds anyway which I'm not complaining about.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Happy CHINESE New Year!

Year of the Dragon- very auspicious; many couples having babies, which means I might still have a job six years from now (Taiwan: World's Lowest Birth Rate )

All three kids home for the holidays, which leads to those warm family moments every father cherishes:

"Hi, Dad, Happy New Year! Can I get a little cash and can you take my bags home- I gotta go meet some of my old high school buddies."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
inked
Elf Lord

AAhhh, the Bank of DAD...a truly universal phenomenon! So good to have the new year begin auspiciously, eh?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Earniel

The local manager of the Bank of Dad (we even got him a T-shirt with Bank of Dad on it, with a little sign tacked on that says : closed! ) is a dragon as it happens.

So what's the element this year? Metal? I always lose count.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

/cheers!

Awesome to hear work worked out well for you as well Val!