Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-16-2000, 06:39 AM   #1
vinterstjarna

Tolkien Music, Introduction and Questions! =)

Hello all!

I promised someone that if he quit smoking, I would read all of Tolkien's books. Sure, it may sound like a nutty promise but I intend to keep my word- I know how hard quitting smoking can be and if my friend manages to quit, then I'll find a way to accomplish my goal too. I read The Hobbitt when I was young but I think I'll have to read it again for it to "count".

As for a bit about me, I'm 28 and female and live in Seattle, WA. I speak English and Swedish (my family's Swedish, I was born in the US). Hobbies include geeking out online, travel, I'm a former windsurfer but don't sail anymore thanks to back injuries and the fact that I don't have a truck to haul my equipment anymore. =)

To motivate myself, I'm trying to find good "background music" to sort of set the scene while I read Tolkien. I've found an mp3.com artist, Bassic, who has some beautiful soothing music inspired by and dedicated to Tolkien (as well as others) and I'd like to find more artists like him (I'll list the URL for Bassic below). I tried doing a search on "Tolkien+music" but most of the stuff I came up with was **** so if you have any recommendations for good "music to read by" please let me know!

Also if you have any other tips on how to get motivated, background stuff I could use when I read, good websites, etc. Please email me!

Bassic is at www.mp3.com/bassic if you wanna check him out.

You can email me at: vinterstjarna@hotmail.com

Thank you so much for any help/advice you can provide!

Best regards,
//HannaH - aka WinterStar

P.S. I just moved to a new house and found out my next door neighbor has a dog named Frodo! I think that's a good sign! =)
Old 07-16-2000, 06:57 AM   #2
noldo

Re: Tolkien Music, Introduction and Questions! =)

Well, nice to have you here... Welcome to the Entmoot!

PS. I'm posting from Thailand.
Old 07-16-2000, 07:26 AM   #3
vinterstjarna

Hei Noldo! =)

I noticed your post below that said you were in Phuket- lucky you! Have you been bungee jumping or climbing yet? =)

Make sure to soak up some sun for me.
//HannaH
Old 07-16-2000, 01:45 PM   #4
anduin

Hullo vinterstjarna, welcome to Entmoot! I'm anduin one of the admins@Entmoot. You will pleased to know that Emilsson, a member here, lives in Sweden. As for music inspired by Tolkien, there is a site found by one of our members Fat Middle that has a discography, but not MP3s, but I guess you could use it to look up songs on Napster. Also check out Music that reminds you of Tolkien. If you find any other musicans that you think are particularly good, will you post them? Ben (bmilder) owner/admin of the board is always looking for good LOTR inspired music.

Hope you have fun reading the books.....and if you have any questions or just want to discuss what you have read, please don't hesitate to make a post.
Old 07-16-2000, 08:09 PM   #5
IronParrot

Argh, anduin beat me AGAIN...

Hello, and welcome to the board... I don't know what to add to what's already been said.
Old 07-17-2000, 12:55 AM   #6
bmilder

Hi

I've gotten a lot of good Tolkien mp3's off of Napster. A composer named Johan de Meij did a suite of 5 classical style compositions, consisting of Gandalf, Lothlorien, Gollum, Journey in the Dark, and Hobbits. A group called Blind Guardian did a number of LotR related songs, including Lord of the Rings, Gandalf the Magician, and Curse of Feanor. Patrice Deceuninck did about 20 LotR songs in the MIDI style, although they can be found in the mp3 format. Personally, I find all but the last few of these to be a little on the dull side, although The Chamber of Mazarbul (the most recent afaik) is good. And then of course there's the classic Leonard Nimoy song, The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins! :lol:
Old 07-18-2000, 08:54 AM   #7
emilsson

Trevligt att träffas, vinterstjarna .

When I read LOTR and fantasy I listen to classical like Wagner or Holst or movie soundtracks with a romantic feel to it.