Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
Keith K
Elf Lord

The Gladden Fields - Isildur's luckiest battle

What do y'all think about Isildur's demise at the Gladden Fields? Is that not the luckiest death in all of these histories? Imagine Isildur making it home to set up his kingdom bearing the ring! How long could he have resisted its evil? I suggest he was already falling under its spell since he refused to cast it into the fire that was at hand. It would have changed him very quickly as he ruled as the High King of a united realm. The line of Isildur would have become accursed and the civil war of the Kin-strife would have been as childs play to the revolution that would have eventually occured as those Dunedain who would resist evil banded together against their brothers. Fortunately he was High King for only a short while and died before he could cause irreparable harm to his family. That must be the luckiest death in all of Middle Earth!
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

The conclusion above about Isuldur's "timely?" demise seems highly probable, but there is an interesting entry touching on Isuldur's growing awareness of the Ring's power and how he might have dealt with it, had he not been killed:

Unfinished Tales, The Disaster Of The Gladden Fields
Quote:
Elendur went to his father, who was standing dark and alone, as if lost in thought. "Atarinya," he said, "what of the power that would cow these foul creatures and command them to obey you? Is it then of no avail?"
"Alas, it is not, senya. I cannot use it. I dread the pain of touching it. And I have not yet found the strength to bend it to my will. It needs one greater than I now know myself to be. My pride has fallen. It should go to the Keepers of the Three."
In this version there is at least the possibility that Isildur would have consulted with the Wise, and presumably also a slight chance he would have reconsidered destroying the Ring. If he hadn't, might not a Gondor and elvish alliance have formed against him?

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-19-2003 at 11:21 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
Keith K
Elf Lord

Yes, that is what I was thinking. A North vs. South and those type of wars have a modern history for bloodiness. I had forgotten the passage you quoted from Unfinished Tales but I instantly remembered it. Without a doubt he was not under any evil spells at that point in time. Perhaps the Ring merely serves to cloud your judgement in the early stages of its domination. For dominate it will eventually. (Even for those who may have greater strength than Men, such as Wizards and Elves).
Old 11-19-2003, 11:59 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith K
(Even for those who may have greater strength than Men, such as Wizards and Elves).
The Wizards weren't around then...They came to the scene around year 1000 of the Third Age, which was just about a 1000 years after the Disaster of the Gladden Fields...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:12 AM   #5
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
The Wizards weren't around then...
While what you say is true it has nothing to do with the point I was making concerning the power of Men to resist the rings evil compared to other races.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:43 AM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
While what you say is true it has nothing to do with the point I was making concerning the power of Men to resist the rings evil compared to other races.
lol I know, just wanted to bust your balls
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 02:12 AM   #7
Keith K
Elf Lord

Ever the pain in my side eh Dunedain? Always pointing out the technicalities...lol (you're going to have a field day picking apart my geometry riddle when the answer becomes known).

Last edited by Keith K : 11-20-2003 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Quote:
you're going to have a field day picking apart my geometry riddle when the answer becomes known
Makes me wonder if you're thinking you should just quietly let that geometry riddle drop out of sight??

PS: I only say that because I STILL can't make sense of it!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:54 PM   #9
Keith K
Elf Lord

Ha Ha, stick that tongue out all you like! I intend to repost that riddle on each new page until one of y'all solves it!
Old 11-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #10
Sween
im quite stupid

As has been said before there is more than one power in this world! Isildur was ment to fail and be destroyed in the same way the ring was ment to pass out of all knoledge! Nothing ever happens by pure chance in middle earth
Old 11-20-2003, 05:00 PM   #11
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
As has been said before there is more than one power in this world! Isildur was ment to fail and be destroyed in the same way the ring was ment to pass out of all knoledge! Nothing ever happens by pure chance in middle earth
But that leaves us no room for debate!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:38 PM   #12
matthew
Enting

It was fated to happen.

Anyway, if Isildur hadn't died, he still couldn't have used the Ring.
The elves would have deafeted him and destroyed the Ring.
( I always hated Isildur anyway. I was glad to see him go notwithstanding this silly "ring" business.

THE SILMARILLION'S BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:28 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
It was fated to happen.

Anyway, if Isildur hadn't died, he still couldn't have used the Ring.
The elves would have deafeted him and destroyed the Ring.
( I always hated Isildur anyway. I was glad to see him go notwithstanding this silly "ring" business.

THE SILMARILLION'S BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I too always hated Isildur until I read The Disaster of the Gladden Fields in Unfinished Tales. You learn a lot more about his character in that story and his bond with his sons. You also find out that he knows that he is not strong enough to use it, thereby saying he needs to talk to those who possess the three.

--Linaewen
Old 11-21-2003, 05:15 PM   #14
Valandil

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I too always hated Isildur until I read The Disaster of the Gladden Fields in Unfinished Tales. You learn a lot more about his character in that story and his bond with his sons. You also find out that he knows that he is not strong enough to use it, thereby saying he needs to talk to those who possess the three.
I think Isildur also comes off as heroic in "Akallabeth" (did I spell it right?) - esp when he snuck in to take the fruit from the white tree of Numenor! I never really 'hated' him - he's just presented as a 'flawed hero' compared to his father Elendil... more of a 'perfect hero'...

'Sides... he was my namesake's daddy!
Old 11-22-2003, 02:53 PM   #15
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I think Isildur also comes off as heroic in "Akallabeth" (did I spell it right?) - esp when he snuck in to take the fruit from the white tree of Numenor! I never really 'hated' him - he's just presented as a 'flawed hero' compared to his father Elendil... more of a 'perfect hero'...

'Sides... he was my namesake's daddy!
Yes but Elrond never had the one ring in his hand so you cannot judge them really
Old 11-22-2003, 03:09 PM   #16
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yes but Elrond never had the one ring in his hand so you cannot judge them really
Not positive, but didn't Elrond handle it when it came to Rivendell?
Old 11-22-2003, 11:40 PM   #17
Valandil

Strider

Quote:
Did you mean Elendil?
Old 11-23-2003, 05:14 AM   #18
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Not positive, but didn't Elrond handle it when it came to Rivendell?
Hell no that would be very unwise! In the book Elrond like the rest of the council get a brief glance at the ring by Frodo before he puts it away again
Old 11-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #19
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Hell no that would be very unwise! In the book Elrond like the rest of the council get a brief glance at the ring by Frodo before he puts it away again
I wonder who put it on a chain around his neck? Sam? Gandalf? I'm not saying it was Elrond, but somebody had to put it there.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #20
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
I wonder who put it on a chain around his neck? Sam? Gandalf? I'm not saying it was Elrond, but somebody had to put it there.
Good question. Never thought of that before. You're right, the Ring was put on a new chain in Rivendell. Likely by one of the Elves, after Gandalf's instructions.