Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 12:24 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Geez, Now Sam and Frodo Are "More Than Just Friends"

Retch. I was perusing Ian McKellum's [sp?] site and came across this question-and-answer. The questioner is not named, but the answer is from Sir Ian:

"Q: While reading the books, it never came to my mind that Sam wouldn't be in love with Frodo, and when Sam told Frodo that he wanted to marry, I stopped reading, calling out 'WHAT? WHY??'
:-) I always noticed their strong relationship - and not only as friends, but as lovers, or secret lovers maybe. The touches, the kisses, the scene when Sam finds Frodo in the tower after killing the Orc. It all seemed so beautifully clear to me. I discussed the fact with a good friend of mine, who is gay, and he agreed. (Hetero men said "what? this is simple friendship between men!")"

"A: As I've noted before, I suspect Tolkien would have also said "What? etc". He was, after all, capable of making the hobbits' love for each other more defined, had he wanted it to be."

Talk about inspiring the technicolor yawn. Good for Sir Ian for telling it like it is. Sam and Frodo are not gay, and it makes me really mad that folks could possibly try to force their own perceptions on the Master's works. Bloody heck, Tolkien would not have liked anyone finding Sam and Frodo gay. He was a staunch catholic, and though he may not have condemned others for being gay, it was certainly not his intent that Sam and Frodo were of that bent.

Color me heterosexual. I read the books and come away with the impression that Sam and Frodo's friendship is pure, untainted and normal. Just two guys with a heck of a lot of respect for each other, whose respect has led to a deep loyalty and caring about the other, without even the hint that they want to find a dark corner of Mordor and engage in unmentionable activities. And when Sam kissed Frodo it was like "kissing your bearded aunt", and it surely wasn't erotic! [Reaching for the ipecac]

Sheesh. If it ain't one group trying to say Sam and Frodo are gay, it's another trying to say LotR follows the Bible chapter by chapter. It would be nice for some folk to just take the books, and the film, at face value and not try to read into it their own personal agendae.

Folks have the right to live their lives as they choose. But Sam and Frodo are NOT gay lovers!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
Radagast
Elven Warrior

*applauds*
Of course they aren't! It NEVER came across that way to me, I totally agree with bropous
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:45 PM   #3
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Re: Geez, Now Sam and Frodo Are "More Than Just Friends"

[/B][/QUOTE] I read the books and come away with the impression that Sam and Frodo's friendship is pure, untainted and normal. Just two guys with a heck of a lot of respect for each other, whose respect has led to a deep loyalty and caring about the
Folks have the right to live their lives as they choose. But Sam and Frodo are NOT gay lovers! [/B][/QUOTE]

Totally agree. If someone out there thinks they're gay, look up the words friendship and loyalty in the dictionary. Honestly, people can be stupid. They love each other as FRIENDS!!!!! That's normal and I admire Sam's loyalty. They aren't gay. I mean come on, Sam had like 13 kids.
Okay, I'm done my little rant there.
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.

Last edited by RosieCotton : 03-01-2002 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I hate it when people force their own agendas onto books and read into them stuff which just isn't there. Interpreting books your own way is fine, but the author wrote it and they knew what they intended! It annoys me so much!
Old 03-01-2002, 02:42 PM   #5
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

There is a highly controversial thread just like this that was made a few months back, I believe that it is too early to let it open to discussion again. You can find it here.
Closed Thread