Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2000, 11:10 PM   #1
IronParrot

Howard Shore supposedly in final negotiations

Looks like he's going to score LOTR. Supposedly, all that's left is an official statement to confirm this 100%.
Old 08-04-2000, 12:34 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: Howard Shore supposedly in final negotiations

Bummer. I mean, who? I'm still holding out for John Williams
Old 08-04-2000, 01:20 AM   #3
IronParrot

I don't have much of an idea who he is either. He did Silence of the Lambs. He's been rumored for about two weeks now...
Old 08-04-2000, 04:36 AM   #4
Michael Martinez

"Final negotiations" doesn't mean we're just waiting for an official announcement. Almost anything could derail his signing up. And something could derail his participation (God forbid) AFTERWARDS as well.

I think Harry Knowles' source is probably trustworthy but may be jumping the gun for the sake of getting a scoop in. Things have reached the stage of "final negotiations" with other projects and come apart. It happens.

John Williams, btw, would not have been available. He's booked through the end of the year and has promised he'll be scoring Episode II for George Lucas. On top of that, they're reportedly trying to work him into the fourth Indiana Jones movie.

I would love for Williams to do the soundtracks, but I don't think that's feasible. Shore is likely as good a composer as they can get, and I don't mean he's second-rate at all.
Old 08-04-2000, 04:38 AM   #5
IronParrot

Yep, good points on all accounts, Michael. I totally agree with you.

Just wanted to point out the item here, though... hence the title of this thread including the word "supposedly"...

Besides, wasn't Uma Thurman once said to be in "final negotiations" for LOTR?
Old 08-04-2000, 07:25 AM   #6
noldo

Aaaww... I would have wanted that Polish guy to make the soundtrack.
Old 08-04-2000, 05:13 PM   #7
Wizard of the Secret Fire

Here are links to small parts some of Shore's soundtracks. It sounds pretty good...

movietunes.hollywood.com/...en,00.html

movietunes.hollywood.com/...me,00.html

movietunes.hollywood.com/...ma,00.html

movietunes.hollywood.com/...nd,00.html
Old 08-05-2000, 04:01 PM   #8
Grand Admiral Reese

I've never heard of this Shore guy. I hope he does a good job(somewhere about Williams greatness, or atleast Christopher Franke(Babylon 5's composer)'s level).

Music is a thing that can make or break a movie, IMO. Poor music doesn't inspire you to watch it.
Old 08-05-2000, 05:27 PM   #9
Shanamir Duntak

That's why they take their time to chose the perfect person to do it. Just trust Peter, I think he knows what he's doing
Old 08-05-2000, 06:16 PM   #10
Wizard of the Secret Fire

Found this at TORN:

'He did the soundtrack for 'Silence of the Lambs.' Here's the great review it got from Movie Music UK:
"...this superbly chilling score by Howard Shore, whose ability to create a musical sense of overpowering tension is second to none in Hollywood at the moment. The score is performed by a full symphony orchestra throughout, but intentionally adopts a languorous tone and pace. This is the absolute epitome of "dark" film music, with the performers of the Munich Symphony Orchestra regularly playing their instruments at the lowest possible end of their ranges, and through orchestrations so thick they almost become a solid wall of sound. "
Or what about this review from the same source, this time for 'M. Butterfly':
"Complementing Cronenberg's unique visual style and Peter Suschitzky's sumptuous, panoramic cinematography is Howard Shore's sublime music, who was given free reign leave the shackles of dissonance far behind him and compose a work of exquisite beauty, texture and restraint. The main theme, given a full rendition in the first track 'M Butterfly', is built around a lovely four note motif, and is granted a thunderous opening statement on horns before moving on to be performed by woodwinds with a string backing and accompaniment from a delicate harp"

A real talented composer then.
Old 08-15-2000, 05:35 PM   #11
Michael Martinez

It's official. Shore is the composer.
Old 08-15-2000, 08:09 PM   #12
IronParrot

Ah, okay.

I'm going to have to sample some of his scores sometime, then...