Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2003, 04:46 PM   #41
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer

But if you want to make absolutely sure that the sudden increase in Tolkien fans who love the films and the books is because of the growing excitement over TTT EX and ROTK and not because of me, then tell your girlfriend detective, Sister Golden Hair, to check out the IP addresses.
I do like the movies. But I must say the producers twisted the story, and for me it kinda ruins the movies.
I felt when I saw the movie that we're jumping fro one action scene to another, and my frinds didn't get what's going on there (didn't read the books). It supposed to be an action movie, but it can't be only action. (when I say only action I mean to TTT. FOTR was more 'calm' - but still...)

[edit - SGH, they're goping to tell you they're brothers in a house with one computer ]

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 11-04-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #42
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Sorry - but you guys are never on at the same time. One is online and logs off and then another logs on. That's according to the "Who's online" control.
Really... You are quite the detective, maybe you should open a thread called who thinks thranduil is BB
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:01 PM   #43
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Or better: who thinks Thanduil, Cassius, and GenX, are BB?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #44
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Or better: who thinks Thanduil, Cassius, and GenX, are BB?
Well I do - but I think I have made that perfectly clear.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:12 PM   #45
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Well I do - but I think I have made that perfectly clear.
well thats nice, but next time you make that clear do it in the general message forum.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:21 PM   #46
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
well thats nice, but next time you make that clear do it in the general message forum.
Oh - after only 25 posts you have become an admin. Give me a break. I must have hit way too close to the mark for you to get so defensive.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-04-2003, 06:31 PM   #47
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

heh, heh me too, JD.

Is it possible these are friends of BB's offspring?

As far as the topic goes, the action is drawn directly from the book, except some of the pointless add-ins like the warg attack and the two dwarf tossing debacles.

The problem arises when action is translated from text to screen. It is one thing to say the battle raged through the night and another to show it. It may be that too much was included in the action scenes making them drag on like a Charlie's Angels sequel.

There is an undeniable tilt towards action at the expense of all else. If it was to be just an action flick it would have been much shorter. It is the inclusion of some of the Tolkienish aspects that makes the movies so long. Those aspects, however, are what the bulk of the audiences came to see. Otherwise it would just be another PotC. Entertaining but not cult-worthy.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:35 PM   #48
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Oh - after only 25 posts you have become an admin. Give me a break. I must have hit way too close to the mark for you to get so defensive.
Im terribly sorry, but just wait one day you will see all four of us on the screen by coincidence, and then what, will you admit you made false accusations?:
Old 11-04-2003, 06:39 PM   #49
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Im terribly sorry, but just wait one day you will see all four of us on the screen by coincidence, and then what, will you admit you made false accusations?:
No - I'll just think that you got enough brains to get some of your friends to go on under the names - instead of you signing on and off to switch names.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-04-2003, 06:45 PM   #50
thranduil
Elven Warrior

My opinions aren't even all the same to BB's, as far as I know. I'm not sure but I thought I read that BB thought the movies were better than the books. I'm not sure if that is accurate, but I love the books, much more than the movies. All I have said is that the movies are enjoyable. Yes I like the movies. But BB would not change his opinion under any circumstance, even under another id. As far as I can guess.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #51
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
My opinions aren't even all the same to BB's, as far as I know. I'm not sure but I thought I read that BB thought the movies were better than the books. I'm not sure if that is accurate, but I love the books, much more than the movies. All I have said is that the movies are enjoyable. Yes I like the movies. But BB would not change his opinion under any circumstance, even under another id. As far as I can guess.
Good cover. I noticed how you guys seem to seperate yourselves further AFTER I had posted last night that you guys were the same. It's too late to cover your tracks BB.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-04-2003, 07:38 PM   #52
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Okay, enough. Nomatter if BB is 20 other posters, everyone back on topic. I could have really cared less, until BB made his little remark, but this is not the place to bicker over such silliness. Get back on topic or this thread will be closed.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:37 PM   #53
Cassius
Enting

Gimli Identity Crisis

Jeez people, does the word paranoid ring a bell. "Oh no, more than one person has a different opinion than I do? Heaven Forbid! I do not control everybodies opinion!" Not to mention that we are way way way off the subject by now.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:43 PM   #54
Cassius
Enting

Gimli Back on the subject

Now, moving on. If you will remember, the witch king of angmar was forcibly driven out of the north, don't you think that he would have put up a fight to protect himself? And did he send an orc to kill Eowyn? Would he have just stood and let Gandalf wollup him at the gates of Gondor? Just making a point that the nazgul would have to have some fighting skills to make a lot of orcs and other less-than-savory creatures obey their commands. The nazgul you describe sound more like the mouth of sauron who runs from the field as soon as the fighting is about to start.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #55
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassius
Jeez people, does the word paranoid ring a bell. "Oh no, more than one person has a different opinion than I do? Heaven Forbid! I do not control everybodies opinion!" Not to mention that we are way way way off the subject by now.
Nope - I'm not paranoid - and neither is everyone else. We just see through you and your little charade. As far as I'm concerned I'm boycotting your posts and ignoring you, aka BB, Thranduil, Gen-X - I hope everyone else does. There is NO sense in trying to have a discussion with someone who resorts to creating 3 names to back himself up.

Funny - BB - everyone thought you were an adult - I guess they were wrong.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-04-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:36 AM   #56
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Nope - I'm not paranoid - and neither is everyone else. We just see through you and your little charade. As far as I'm concerned I'm boycotting your posts and ignoring you, aka BB, Thranduil, Gen-X - I hope everyone else does. There is NO sense in trying to have a discussion with someone who resorts to creating 3 names to back himself up.
Suppose -just for the sake of the argument if you will- they are indeed seperate posters, whose opinions may correspond for some parts with eachother or who might even know eachother in real life or not. In that case you gave them quite a 'welcome' feeling.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
As far as the topic goes, the action is drawn directly from the book, except some of the pointless add-ins like the warg attack and the two dwarf tossing debacles.
I suppose in the case of the warg-attack one can argue it is in exchange for the cut fight with the wolves from FoTR.

I don't really know whether LoTR can be defined as a typical action movie. From my experience most action movies only have a plot as an excuse to film so many minutes of people hitting and shooting eachother and breaking things. Though I agree with Cirdan that LoTR has an undeniable tilt towards action. In regard of the TTT-movie that stands to reason I suppose, the book has many fights: Éomer's battle with the orcs, Helm's Deep, the fight at Isengard and such. Yet personally, I think some action scenes were rather overdone.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:53 AM   #57
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Suppose -just for the sake of the argument if you will- they are indeed seperate posters, whose opinions may correspond for some parts with eachother or who might even know eachother in real life or not. In that case you gave them quite a 'welcome' feeling.
I think you KNOW perfectly well they are NOT seperate posters.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-05-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:55 AM   #58
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

When people talk about the overdone action scenes, they point to Helm's Deep and say "it was only one small chapter in the book."

Jackson was making a film that had neither a beginning or an ending. He decided, rightly so, that Helm's Deep was the centerpiece for The Two Towers and the perfect climax to Chapter II. Was he right? Did he succeed? Well, an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture and 800 million-plus in world ticket sales would certainly seem to indicate so. Given the circumstances surrounding this "middle" film of the trilogy, Jackson's success with TTT is nothing short of mindboggling.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:29 AM   #59
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Nope. The Shelob's lair chapter is a far better cliff-hanger ending. It wouldn't have fit with the battle scene but then much will be cut out for the TWO battle scenes of RotK. Helm's Deep was just a bit long for my taste. But that is not the point. It is different than a pure action film but that does not mean that the action was not overblown at times.

Maybe it would have actually won the oscar if the editing had been better. Hmm... and ticket sales. I guess spiderman is a classic, too. Your mind must be easily boggled as neither point addresses whether or not it is an action film. Action films win oscars (Gladiator, Braveheart) and sell tickets (take your pick).
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:58 AM   #60
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned I'm boycotting your posts and ignoring you, aka BB, Thranduil, Gen-X - I hope everyone else does.
Boycott my posts!?! Are you serious? Anyways I aggree with Cassius that obviously the nazgul used other teqhniques then there pyschological fear. Although in the books there "sword fighting" is reserved. But that doesn't mean they didn't do it. Like "someone" said, Tolkein didn't describe the birds and the bees of the ents either. Jackson still used there action and instilled terrible fear, yes it may have been toned down. But it was correct to a degree.