Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

This is an interesting argument. Personally, I think you are all right to a degree, but none of you are totally right. (and what I'm about to say probably isn't right either, but oh well)

The movies had no choice but to use all those action sequences. Had the scenes from the book been left out, there would be an even greater outcry that PJ had butchered the films. Yes, he added the warg battle - but I personally like that scene a lot. ( I could have done without the cliff fall, though)

It could definitely be argued that Helms Deep drug on a bit. But I would argue that there had to be a center, main plot for the middle movie...something to be the driving force while all the peripheral things were happening. I think it succeeded, though there are many smaller things within this decision that I didn't like.

To have a movie that is within 3 hours and the ridiculously large amount of material to cover, you are faced with very tough decisions. Some would say, "then why add the warg battle," but I think it worked ok. The Aragorn/Arwen thing was very questionable, though. Anyway, nearly all the action scenes were from the books and necessary. The character development has been addressed and vastly improved upon in the extended cut (FOTR) and most likely will be with TTT as well.

Cheers,
BOM
Old 11-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
thranduil
Elven Warrior

true there is no way to please everybody. But what jackson did was take elements essential to the stories plot and combine it with material that would draw non readers to the movies as well. Some say it is pointless action, but that is not so. PJ either had to
1. make a straight from the book story, which would satisfy a few "True Tolkein Followers"
or
2. add some good entertaining action that would produce good scenes and even maybe dissappoint a "few" people by not having it adhere exactly from how Tolkein told it

In scenario two the show is much more entertaining while keeping the same story (mostly), and making a show that many many more people would enjoy.

and I guess scenario 3 would be for PJ to never make the trilogy.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
true there is no way to please everybody. But what jackson did was take elements essential to the stories plot and combine it with material that would draw non readers to the movies as well. Some say it is pointless action, but that is not so. PJ either had to
1. make a straight from the book story, which would satisfy a few "True Tolkein Followers"
or
2. add some good entertaining action that would produce good scenes and even maybe dissappoint a "few" people by not having it adhere exactly from how Tolkein told it

In scenario two the show is much more entertaining while keeping the same story (mostly), and making a show that many many more people would enjoy.

and I guess scenario 3 would be for PJ to never make the trilogy.
No one was asking for a page by page book to movie adaptation. But the fact that jackson had action scene after action scene is ridiculous. Would you not agree that the Gift Giving scene was far more important to the movie than spending 15 minutes on the orc/troll fight in moria?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-03-2003 at 10:26 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 PM   #4
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
No one was asking for a page by page book to movie adaptation. But the fact that jackson had action scene after action scene is ridiculous. Would you not agree that the Gift Giving scene was far more important to the movie than spending 15 minutes on the orc/troll fight in moria?
True, I'm sorry for being unclear, I didn't mean a true page by page version. And the gift scene was more important than the troll fight, but why bring that up when it is in the special edition. No we don't see them use gifts except the phial in TTT regular edition, but in the extended it shows them use some of there gifts. Which I think is excellent that they have scenes like those in the se. Theyre scenes to please true fans, at least ones who have at least read the books.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
True, I'm sorry for being unclear, I didn't mean a true page by page version. And the gift scene was more important than the troll fight, but why bring that up when it is in the special edition. No we don't see them use gifts except the phial in TTT regular edition, but in the extended it shows them use some of there gifts. Which I think is excellent that they have scenes like those in the se. Theyre scenes to please true fans, at least ones who have at least read the books.
What does it matter that it was in the extended edition - that is not the OFFICIAL version of the movie. The official movie was what was released in the movie theater.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2003, 10:43 PM   #6
thranduil
Elven Warrior

so if jackson came out with new footage, that was true with Tolkein and he added it to the movies he made, lets say he deleted arwens scene inserted glorfindel instead, things like that, it wouldn't satisfy you because it wasn't in the "official" movie?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 PM   #7
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
so if jackson came out with new footage, that was true with Tolkein and he added it to the movies he made, lets say he deleted arwens scene inserted glorfindel instead, things like that, it wouldn't satisfy you because it wasn't in the "official" movie?
BB- sorry Thranduil - no it would not satisfy me. He should have kept in certain parts right from the beginning - that's what movies are judged on. Reviews and awards aren't given on what is left on the cutting room floor. As for Glorfindel - I don't really care that Arwen took his place - as anyone can read in my posts - it's the overblown role that he gave her in the Flight to the Ford scene.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Anyways it doesn't matter. Back on subject. Even though Jackson may have changed some of the smallest things into some sort of action, most of all it worked. For example it is quite beleivable that at the council of elrond that there would be contention between the elves and dwarves, and what should be done about the ring. It made it seem more believable, for the screen. I don't agree that Jackson thought that his ideas overruled Tolkeins, but that some instances things should be changed to appear better on the screen. If you catch my meaning. But there can be no excuse for helms deep. But other than that the changes were good, and acceptable.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:34 PM   #9
GenX
Sapling

Nazgul

A good debate over the effectiveness of the Nazgul. These creatures weren't just brought out from the Grey Heavens, they were tourmented and tortured with the rings they bore for hundreds of years. These creatures want the ring and long for it daily. I think that if I were stuck between living and death forever I would want to kill something too. The portrail of Nazgul as fear driven creatures is ubsurd these guys want some revenge. Jackson does do a good job.

Also I like butterbeer better than butterbur cassius though it is spelled incorrectly Thranduil.
GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:40 AM   #10
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by GenX
A good debate over the effectiveness of the Nazgul. These creatures weren't just brought out from the Grey Heavens, they were tourmented and tortured with the rings they bore for hundreds of years. These creatures want the ring and long for it daily. I think that if I were stuck between living and death forever I would want to kill something too. The portrail of Nazgul as fear driven creatures is ubsurd these guys want some revenge. Jackson does do a good job.

Also I like butterbeer better than butterbur cassius though it is spelled incorrectly Thranduil.
Sorry - but there seems to be a lot of BB look-a-likes on the board lately. Let's see - there is Thranduil, Cassius and now you - all sound the same as BB. As I said in another thread - I wouldn't put it past him to create additonal names to make it seem like he has supporters.

As for your nazgul question - the nazgul weren't out for revenge - they were controlled by Sauron and the Ring. No where did Tolkien ever indicate they were physical in their actions. They were a psychological terror and instilled fear in people.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-04-2003 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 AM   #11
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:
As for your nazgul question - the nazgul weren't out for revenge - they were controlled by Sauron and the Ring. No where did Tolkien ever indicate they were physical in their actions. They were a psychological terror and instilled fear in people.
Anyone who has read Letters would know that this is true. Tolkien says that the Nazgul used fear and not phsical action.

And I agree that the action scenes in the movies was over done many times. All the action scenes in the books were blown up and made bigger in the movies.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #12
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Jerseydevil

"Sorry - but there seems to be a lot of BB look-a-likes on the board lately. Let's see - there is Thranduil, Cassius and now you - all sound the same as BB. As I said in another thread - I wouldn't put it past him to create additonal names to make it seem like he has supporters."

Originally posted by Jerseydevil
"As for your nazgul question - the nazgul weren't out for revenge - they were controlled by Sauron and the Ring. No where did Tolkien ever indicate they were physical in their actions. They were a psychological terror and instilled fear in people."
Correct. Although they could take physical actions, apparently they fought the Rangers at the fords at Tharbad in daylight (unsuccessfully). And the movie Hobbit headlopping was a bit much, and illogical if they were trying to keep their mission quiet.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-04-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:42 PM   #13
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
I find it interesting that some of you love to rail against PJ's films for being...gasp...Action movies!!! How dare PJ put in action sequences like the ents attack on Isengard, the battle of Helm's Deep, the wizard's duel, Gandalf versus the Balrog, the cave troll attack, etc., etc., etc.!!! I'll bet that Action film hack Jackson will give us a spider attack and not one but TWO huge battles in ROTK. Yep, any action film gimic for the all-mighty dollar.
If you want to call PJ's movies "action stories," that's fine. But then prepare yourself to defend the Tolkien books against the same charge
Of course the Lord of the Rings books have action in them. But when PJ (as JD has said before) "dumbed down" the action scenes, and Add New and Unecessary action scenes in, Tolkien book fans arent going to be happy or ok with it.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 11-04-2003 at 01:45 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #14
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Sorry - but there seems to be a lot of BB look-a-likes on the board lately. Let's see - there is Thranduil, Cassius and now you - all sound the same as BB. As I said in another thread - I wouldn't put it past him to create additonal names to make it seem like he has supporters.
Are you serious?!?!? Give me a break. I admit I'm weird but I'm not THAT weird.

But if you want to make absolutely sure that the sudden increase in Tolkien fans who love the films and the books is because of the growing excitement over TTT EX and ROTK and not because of me, then tell your girlfriend detective, Sister Golden Hair, to check out the IP addresses.

To paraphrase a quote from the Highlander series: There can be only one...Black Breathalizer!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #15
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Could have surprised me.
Quote:

But if you want to make absolutely sure that the sudden increase in Tolkien fans who love the films and the books is because of the growing excitement over TTT EX and ROTK and not because of me, then tell your girlfriend detective, Sister Golden Hair, to check out the IP addresses.
IP addresses are not always accurate. Why would I have SGH check on it anyway? As for your other comment - it does not need to be commented on - although I do like the added "girlfriend detective"
Quote:

To paraphrase a quote from the Highlander series: There can be only one...Black Breathalizer!!!
Only one you - multiple personalities though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-04-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:01 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer

One's too many. FYI, I have already done an IP check with no help from JD. Things seem pretty obvious. Also, the fact that the other three accounts are exactly the same, and yours differs, means nothing. It only means that you may be posting from a different IP. You insult my intelligence. I would have rather told you this in PM, but you have that disabled. Also, multiple accounts is something that is watched and brought to the attention of the rest of the staff. I haven't said anything whatsoever to you BB, so I would thank you to leave me out of your remarks.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:12 PM   #17
thranduil
Elven Warrior

You are all worrying about nothing. Me and Cassius are not BB. Unless BB has two computers navigating both users, since me and cassius are both here.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:37 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It would be interesting to see all of you on at the same time.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #19
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
It would be interesting to see all of you on at the same time.
really, would it?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:42 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
You are all worrying about nothing. Me and Cassius are not BB. Unless BB has two computers navigating both users, since me and cassius are both here.
Sorry - but you guys are never on at the same time. One is online and logs off and then another logs on. That's according to the "Who's online" control.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide