Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Plays?

Have anyone written any plays (or are still writing them)?

(I searched for a thread for plays and I didn't find any results)
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

No, but I've thought of it. I may delve into that later. I do like the idea of drama...I'm interested especially in the use of stage space and lighting, as well as dialogue.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I started one, but I ended up scraping it. Didn't feel right

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

A few for children's theatre, but mostly extra scenes or adaptations, the Phantom Toolboth being one of the most-involved I did.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I've never written any plays and I don't think it's something for me. I like ordinary writing much more, since you're not bound by the limits of budget or reality. Although I suppose it can be an interesting challenge.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I have tried to write a play, but I found myself wanting to control the environment much more than is possible in a play. Only writing small amounts of description, and stage directions was too little when I wanted to talk about wonderful places. Obviously you have a vision of what you want it to look like, and I like to describe that well. I don't know. Something about giving the interpretation of the thing to someone else...don't like it. My writing would never go into film or stage form I don't think.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Mmm...now I'm tempted to try my hand at a simple, short play.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I forgot about this one: I did write a puppet play for my Oral Comm class. We were going to perform for the elementry, but never did. I had fun with that one

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I've never written any plays and I don't think it's something for me. I like ordinary writing much more, since you're not bound by the limits of budget or reality. Although I suppose it can be an interesting challenge.
I think that it's really something where you have to be involved with the whole picture. Most playwrights are also directors or assistants in putting on an initial production, often changing scenes on the fly as they actually see them in the rehearsal process.

It's definitely a symbiosis between writing and performance. A beautifully-written play can be a work of art if carried out by skilled actors, while it can be terrible if not, Shakespeare's work being some of the best examples.