Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Yes and No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
I think I was wrong in saying that you "misinterpreted" the theme of Death.

No, everything you said about Death was OK, but I think you should have said more. You narrowed the meaning referring only to many deaths described in the Silm, and leaving out the themes that Tolkien himself believed to be the most important: desire for immortality and desire for things unchanged.

Also I think that your article would have been better if it contained references to Letters where Tolkien himself explained his views.

Here are my two cents anyway.
I agree I should have had more quotes by Tolkien - though not necessary - and I could have said more about Tolkien's true meaning behind death in his writings(which you stated), that too however was not necessary for the purposes of the article.

The article was an argument for the influences of world war one on the writings of Tolkien, not an exploration on the meaning of tolkien's writings. So any "exploration" I did was solely to prove this point. I think this was achieved more than adequately.

Also given the nature of the article, I could only use so much reference from Tolkien himself before it became not credible. I had to use academic articles about the issue to give contemporary credibility to my arguements. So the focus was not so much what he had to say (though integral it was) but what other academics had to say also.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Last edited by The Telcontarion : 12-16-2007 at 12:12 PM.
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote