Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
inked
Elf Lord

King Arthur legendaria and Harry Potter

Many folks have an interest in King Arthur. I have been struck at times by the apparent influence of the Arthurian elements in the HP series. Particularly the SWORD IN THE STONE motif, the orphan status motif, the wise owl motif, and the adversity elements.

If interest is adequate, I am sure that other Mooters know much more about this and can expose other items of influence and correlation. Then we can perhaps speculate on the ending of HP in that mode.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

That's an interesting theory. Unfortunately, I'm not very learned in Arthurian lore. I would be interested in reading what other 'mooters had to say about it, though.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

The Arthurian legends do seem to have an influence on HP, probably because they're the best-known source of the archetypes you mentioned - Merlin/Dumbledore etc. I wonder if 'Dumbledore's Army' will become a kind of Round Table at Hogwarts? I hope it doesn't bode ill for Harry, though.

He should name his wand Excalibur
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

References to the legendaria have already been made, to Merlin as a great wizard who seems to have influenced wizarding culture. ("By Merlin's beard!" and the Order of Merlin.)

I never thought of Dumbledore's Army as a sort of Round Table, but it is a good analogy I think. This would make Harry a King Arthur figure, which is also strengthened by the orphan thing.

One place where this falls down is Arthur's adopted family and the Dursley's. Vernon would not be Sir Ector, and Dudley would not be Sir Kay. There also is not equivelant to Mordred in Potterverse. As of yet, I also don't see a Guenevere equivelant. (Though there are future possibilities. *romantic sigh*)

We can make comparisons to Arthur's knights and Harry's best friends. Who do you see lining up?

I can see Ron as Kay or Gawain, and Hermione as Bedwyr/Bedevere. I can also see Neville as Bedwyr, and I could see Hermione as Kay. (Actually, it's very hard to line people up here. Hrm.)

Sir Kay is Arthur's adopted brother and one of his best friends, and most loyal knights. He is Arthur's Seneschal - in other words, his right hand man.
I think Ron and Harry are like brothers in a similar sense to Kay and Arthur - Harry's real family is dead, and the Weasley's adopted him. The Dursleys, despite Petunia's important WRT the protection spell, simply do not act like a real family.

Ron as Gawain, well, this is simply because Gawain is often written as being quick-tempered, and having red hair. Not much to go on, and plus, Arthur is technically Gawain's uncle, even though they're pretty much the same age. (Arthur has a much-older half-sister, as you know.)

The reason I think Hermione could also be Kay is because he is very intelligent. He's probably the smartest knight, or at least, he has to draw on his brains the most in his capacity as Seneschal. One of his duties (they aren't always elaborated in the books), is dealing with the logistics of supplying Arthur's armies. From the little I know of logistics, this is mind-bendingly complex and hideous. (Logistics in forestry are less evil, but they certainly gave me an insight. *shudders*)

After my geeky analysis, I realize I have left out Lancelot. I often leave him out accidentally because I don't really understand his character, and apparently he was added to the legends later. However, he is a major player later.

I can't think of anyone to parallel Lancelot, because I can't think of anyone who would betray Harry. Other betraying knights include Mordred, Agravaine, and Gaheris (I think).

Other important loyal knights include Gareth, Bors, Galahad, Pellinore, Percivale, Leodegrance, and some other people who's names escape me.

It also depends a lot on what books you read. My post was based on all the ones I've read - attempting to knit together some common themes. We need Valandil in here - he's the Arthurian Legends expert.

Very cool thread Inked!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
As of yet, I also don't see a Guenevere equivelant. (Though there are future possibilities. *romantic sigh*)
Apparently Ginevra (Ginny Weasley's full name) is a variant of Guenevere, but maybe I shouldn't go down that road...

Maybe we don't know enough about anyone except Ron and Hermione to see how they would match up. Also, the battle with Voldemort is very different to the battles Arthur fought, and Draco, Lucius and the Death Eaters don't really fit in either. Although, how about Arthur Weasley rather than Harry as the Arthur figure?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
inked
Elf Lord

Old Merlin had sense to hide young king
That right honest and humble he up-bring
To manliness, who would be king!
SWORD IN STONE? That whole thing!
Sword in hat per JK Rowling!
Gryffin - d'or, heart of God-King,
With rubies eggs, excellent thing!

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 05-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Old Merlin had sense to hide young king
That right honest and humble he up-bring
To manliness, who would be king!
SWORD IN STONE? That whole thing!
Sword in hat per JK Rowling!
Gryffin - d'or, heart of God-King,
With rubies eggs, excellent thing!

Awesome Inked! I have to admit I didn't get your exact Sword in the Stone reference until you poetically spelled it out for me.

Maybe that makes Godric Griffindor sort of like Uther Pendragon then? James and Lily lived in Godric's Hollow, so that keeps the continuity going...

Interesting Sun-star. I don't think we know enough about Arthur Weasley to see if he's a good Arthur figure.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Replying to my own post... lame! But this thread deserves a bump because...

Quote:
Rowling has described Wart from TH White's The Sword In The Stone as "Harry's spiritual ancestor"
!
From here

What do you guys make of that? Personally I think it says Harry is at least partly based on the Arthur archetype, at least for Arthur as a boy.
Quote:
Old 05-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well as one who has researched the Arthurian Legend for years and then plotted my Quest of three weeks in the UK, I can say I see vague similarities but to my "purist" heart, there is not a match.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:59 PM   #10
inked
Elf Lord

Spock,

This comment from a man who has a Star Trek name and a ninja avatar? I really expected better. For a purist, only the original will do. I agree. So the question is not, "Is this the Arthurian corpus or torso or extremity, per se?" but rather are there linkages of substance? What do you think? (AND don't give us the whiny "It's not pure!", okay? )
Old 05-15-2005, 03:20 AM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Sorry, Purist was meant in that it describes "my personal" feelings, attitudes and such. Those are my own and not "whiny". You might want to use a more correct adjective but I'm not supplying it.

I probably should not have shared my thoughts on this one.

Last edited by Spock : 05-15-2005 at 03:22 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #12
inked
Elf Lord

Spock,
Live long and prosper! I was jesting about whiny. That's what the little smile face was meant to indicate!

Golly those vulcans are touchy for non-emoting folk!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Actually I am very literal in definition. I am pleased you clarified it for my foggy mind.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Not having read the books, are there hints at the Arthurian Legend in HP?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
Holy Grail = Goblet of Fire ??????
Old 05-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

IMO J.K. Rowling isn't trying to write an Arthurian legend, she's writing a fantasy book with Arthurian elements, symbols and themes. (If she said it was an Arthurian legend, I'd be ranting too! )
Quote:
Old 05-16-2005, 04:44 AM   #17
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
OK. Thanks for the info.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #18
inked
Elf Lord

Remember this thread, Y'all? I think it time to re-open it! JKR's ending in Deathly Hallows (DH) was incorporative of and extended a number of motifs I've advocated for - not least the Arthurian.

Gotta love that sword in the pool bit and Neville's hat tricks!

What do you think?