Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2001, 02:56 PM   #1
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf Did Orcs/Goblins Survive?

I believe that somewhere in my edition of the Hobbit, it reads that Goblins were responisble for some of the more horrible weapons in the age of man. We know they were supposed to have died off, but did they "mingle" with some men thanks to Sauroman.
Old 08-18-2001, 03:49 PM   #2
Theodred
Sapling

You mean like those scary neighbors we have are really half-orcs!
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 08-18-2001, 05:29 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Yes I believe there is Orc-Men bred by Saruman in Isengard. They could stand the light of the sun

Quote:
But these creatures of Isengard, these half-orcs and goblin-men that the foul craft of Saruman has bred, they will not quail at the sun,' said Gamling.
Also Treebeard wonders at the fact that they can stand the light

Quote:
For these Isengarders are more like wicked Men. It is a
mark of evil things that came in the Great Darkness that they cannot abide the Sun; but Saruman's Orcs can endure it, even if they hate it. I wonder what he has done? Are they Men he has ruined, or has he blended the races of Orcs and Men? That would be a black evil!'
I don't know how he managed to do this, and I would rather not find out but in the upcoming movies as some of you may know they are bred in pods.

In the scouring of the shire when they encounter the ruffians there seems to be some orc-men among them.

Quote:
'Well I am staggered!' said Pippin. 'Of all the ends to our journeythat is the very last I should have thought of: tohave to fight half-orcs and ruffians in the Shire itself - to rescue Lotho Pimple!'

Last edited by Comic Book Guy : 08-18-2001 at 09:00 PM.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 12:21 AM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Actually I don't think it says they died off. The Fourth Age is supposed to mark the decline of all other speaking peoples (besides Men), but I don't think they are actually said to have died off completely. Hobbits are still around today, why not Goblins? Tater, you have some Orc-blood in ya, don't you?
Old 08-19-2001, 10:10 AM   #5
adanedhel
Hobbit

Of course there are still orcs...where do you think lawyers come from??? The plan is for them to clog our court systems with frivolous lawsuits, then they will conquer us in the ensuing chaos.
"Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest."

Feanor
adanedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 10:28 AM   #6
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Well, if judges come from lawyers, wouldn't that mean the whole system of law is controlled by them?! Drat, and I thought humans were dominantof all the species .
Old 08-19-2001, 01:38 PM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Of course they live on. Where do you think the Labour Party gets it's leaders from. :lol
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 01:50 PM   #8
Prince Faramir
Enting

Nazgul oiiii

i'd rather have the labour party than the tories. Thatcher was a female orc - or wash she Sauron in a frock?

hmmmmmm
Old 08-20-2001, 09:22 AM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Cheeky devil. No Guinnes for you tonight dear Prince.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 01:06 PM   #10
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yes the Orcs and Goblins died off but the Uruka high still live sorry I could not resist

(Uruka high walks you to me) "Hi im your new naghbor" (me) "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"

edited to say: YESSSSSSSSSS! IM AN ENTING!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tessar : 10-02-2001 at 03:00 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:12 AM   #11
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Just to clarify, I wasn't asking if there were men mingled with orcs, I just typed it out wrong <glares at the keyboard which is blamed for all mistakes>. Anyways, I am still to lazy to head down to the library can someone look in their edition of the Hobbit and see in the passage about the goblins weaponry and their future?
Old 10-25-2001, 02:50 PM   #12
Edhellion
Sapling

Gandalf

Actually, there is some information about Orcs and Goblins and how they fared after the destruction of the ring. I cannot quote, as I do not have the book with me right now, but it says something like the Orcs and Goblins survived and went back to their holes where they might have survived or might have been hunted down by men in the fourth age.
Edhellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:17 PM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Welcome Elfson!
Old 11-11-2001, 10:37 AM   #14
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
I am still to lazy to head down to the library can someone look in their edition of the Hobbit and see in the passage about the goblins weaponry and their future?
The passage you are looking for is this:

Quote:
Now Goblins are cruel, wicked and bad-hearted. They make no beautiful things, but they make very clever ones. They can tunnel and mine as good as many but the most skilled Dwarves, when they take the trouble, though they are usually untidy and dirty. Hammers, axes, swords, daggers, pickaxe, tongs and also instruments of torture they make very well, or get other people to make their design, prisoners and slaves that have to work until they die for want of air and light. It is not unlikely that they have invented most of the machines that troubled the world, especially the ingenious devices for killed large amounts of people at once, for wheels and engines and explosions always delighted them, and also not working with their own hands more than they could help; but in those days and in those wild parts they had not advanced (as it is called) so far.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote